December 10, 2019, 06:29:05 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1834250 times)

Offline Brother of the Sixth Order

• Godling
  • Cleverness..to be able to remember to tell a story
    • View Profile
    • The Grim Dark Files
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #4530 on: April 23, 2014, 08:06:57 PM »
I am now reading the Eternal Sky Trilogy by Elizabeth Bear.  I saw a review of "Range of Ghosts" and said... why not?  What a choice it was thoroughly enjoying the first book so far... this could be a life affirming fantasy novel...
There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man

Offline simonster

« Reply #4531 on: April 23, 2014, 08:30:26 PM »
Mogworld (by Yahtzee Croshaw) has been a pleasant surprise.  It's a decent adventure and (gasp!) genuinely funny.

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4532 on: April 23, 2014, 10:43:47 PM »
Last to Fall by Francis Black. Rojan Dizon is a real likeable protagonist as always, the pain magic is a fascinating concept and I am in suspense to see how Rojan and gang save the city of Mahala.  Francis has a really enjoyable writing style to read.
The Real Powers That Be

Offline animal74

« Reply #4533 on: April 24, 2014, 05:43:15 PM »
I'm listening to The Bone House (Bright Empires #2) by Stephen Lawhead and I'm enjoying it. I've also started Silver Pigs by Lindsey Davis. It's a mystery set in ancient Rome. Very witty.
Join the 3rd bi-annual "The Dark is Rising Readathon" starting December 1, 2017!
Facebook Group
Twitter

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #4534 on: April 25, 2014, 01:10:07 AM »
I am still slowing reading Half a King when I get the chance. Enjoying it.. It's definitely YA, but also definitely still kind of a dark book from what I can tell so far. Grimdark for kids? Perhaps. I'll have to see as I read on.  :D Also started Mayhem as my audiobook for an early start on May's book club.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline Lejays17

« Reply #4535 on: April 25, 2014, 02:18:11 AM »
I'm listening to The Bone House (Bright Empires #2) by Stephen Lawhead and I'm enjoying it. I've also started Silver Pigs by Lindsey Davis. It's a mystery set in ancient Rome. Very witty.

Oh, I love the Falco books!  Especially the earlier ones, the later ones didn't quite have the same "spark"  :)  But that's a common "complaint" about any long-running series, I find.
"Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables you to be wrong with authority." The Doctor - Wheel in Space

"It's not destiny!  It's a crazy scientist with a giant snake!" Sinbad - For Whom the Egg Shatters

Offline Annomander Matt

« Reply #4536 on: April 25, 2014, 05:41:42 AM »
Just finished the mistborn trilogy and I thought it was amazing. Trying to get my sister to speed through wheel of time (impossible,I know) so that she can read it!
Starting the First Law Trilogy next but afraid it won't be able to compare...

Offline Nighteyes

• Ringbearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4537 on: April 25, 2014, 06:06:25 AM »
Just finished the mistborn trilogy and I thought it was amazing. Trying to get my sister to speed through wheel of time (impossible,I know) so that she can read it!

They are very different beasts. Sanderson is basically Speilberg - family friendly fun wheras Abercrombie is Tarrantino. Violence, swearing but action packed and exciting.
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Annomander Matt

« Reply #4538 on: April 26, 2014, 03:46:18 AM »

They are very different beasts. Sanderson is basically Speilberg - family friendly fun wheras Abercrombie is Tarrantino. Violence, swearing but action packed and exciting.

Definitely very different styles, I'm about 75 pages into The First Law. A little slow getting going but I've read good things about Abercrombie so I'm expecting it to pick up quickly.
Already trying to pick out my next completed series since I hate waiting for books to be released ever since finishing a dance with dragons (thank you very much GRRM).  Something in the ilk of the mistborn or long price quartet with unique supernatural abilities and creative worlds.

Offline Nighteyes

• Ringbearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4539 on: April 26, 2014, 11:10:39 AM »

Definitely very different styles, I'm about 75 pages into The First Law. A little slow getting going but I've read good things about Abercrombie so I'm expecting it to pick up quickly.
Already trying to pick out my next completed series since I hate waiting for books to be released ever since finishing a dance with dragons (thank you very much GRRM).  Something in the ilk of the mistborn or long price quartet with unique supernatural abilities and creative worlds.

Assassin's Trilogy by Robin Hobb?
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Annomander Matt

« Reply #4540 on: April 26, 2014, 09:43:47 PM »

Assassin's Trilogy by Robin Hobb?

I'll take a look into that one! Thanks!

Offline simonster

« Reply #4541 on: April 27, 2014, 11:42:32 AM »
With Rothfuss talking about all the spin-off novellas he's writing, I got to wondering how many more years we'll have to wait for Doors of Stone to appear and - whoops! - I'm reading Name of the Wind all over again.

For all that's wrong with it, it's just so damn likeable.

Offline Saraband

• Haggis eater, fantasy scribbler and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Geeky Reading (and Writing) Introvert
    • View Profile
    • BrawBlether
« Reply #4542 on: April 29, 2014, 10:57:11 AM »
Dividing my time between Wizard of Earthsea and a non-fantasy book, F. S. Fitzgerald's The Beautiful and the Damned, while I wait for my copy of Emperor of Thorns to arrive on the mail.
https://brawblether.com

"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

"Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love." - Robert Burns

Offline Mark Lawrence

« Reply #4543 on: April 29, 2014, 01:42:10 PM »

Malazan is HUGELY popular, one of the top 5 Fantasy series I would say... :)

You think so? I know its readers are very vocal on some forums but if you look at the sales figures on the Wertzone and the ratings numbers on Goodreads I would think it closer #50 than #5. Which still makes it a huge and successful body of work ... but top 5 seems a considerable over-estimate.

The Wertzone has him as #156 on the (non-comprehensive) list of best selling SFF authors, ordered by sales.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 01:47:34 PM by Mark Lawrence »

Offline Stars Cascade

• Bridgeburner
  • All Knowledge is worth having
    • View Profile
« Reply #4544 on: April 29, 2014, 03:52:58 PM »

Malazan is HUGELY popular, one of the top 5 Fantasy series I would say... :)

You think so? I know its readers are very vocal on some forums but if you look at the sales figures on the Wertzone and the ratings numbers on Goodreads I would think it closer #50 than #5. Which still makes it a huge and successful body of work ... but top 5 seems a considerable over-estimate.

The Wertzone has him as #156 on the (non-comprehensive) list of best selling SFF authors, ordered by sales.

Ive heard such mixed reviews that I cant bring myself to try it. My TBR cant handle another long series that id likely force myself through even if I didnt like it.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

~ Love as thou Wilt ~

*@stars__cascade*