October 27, 2020, 09:30:54 AM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 2087829 times)

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • Purple Dove House
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #4515 on: April 19, 2014, 12:13:06 AM »
I'm reading Terry Goodkind - Sword of truth: wizard's first rule    but I'm a bit disappointed.  I've finished almost all robin hobb's work so Goodkind's work seems a child's play

He is famously shit. Is there not something better you could read? Scott Lynch is very good.

I'll try it  :)
Thx for recommendation
If you haven't read George Martin or Joe Abercrombie you could also try them. If you don't like Wizard's First Rule you'd be better off leaving Goodkind alone (I couldn't get through WFR) and many people say that they only get worse the further you go.

I've read George Martin but never tried Abercrombie. I'll guess that it will be the next on my list. Thanks!
If you did enjoy Martin then you're likely to also enjoy Joe Abercrombie's work.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Lejays17

« Reply #4516 on: April 19, 2014, 03:18:51 AM »
I've just finished What Makes This Book So Good by Jo Walton, which i thoroughly enjoyed.

I'm also reading AHistory - 3rd Edition which is a timeline of all Dr Who episodes / books / CDs/ Comics.  It's a very large book, and hard to hold up properly, so I only read it in fits-and-starts.
"Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables you to be wrong with authority." The Doctor - Wheel in Space

"It's not destiny!  It's a crazy scientist with a giant snake!" Sinbad - For Whom the Egg Shatters

TomTheBeliever

« Reply #4517 on: April 19, 2014, 06:49:06 PM »
Just finished The Crippled God.  Stunning end to a stunning series. Gonna miss Malazan  :'(

Started reading Hyperion - fancied something completely different ... It's plodding along at a nice pace currently, but only 50 pages in.

Offline Nighteyes

• Juicy dwarf/orc erotica to go.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
« Reply #4518 on: April 19, 2014, 08:07:36 PM »
Just finished The Crippled God.  Stunning end to a stunning series. Gonna miss Malazan  :'(

Started reading Hyperion - fancied something completely different ... It's plodding along at a nice pace currently, but only 50 pages in.

We did a book club read on Hyperion once. Well worth looking for the threads on it.
The Real Powers That Be

TomTheBeliever

« Reply #4519 on: April 21, 2014, 07:52:35 AM »

We did a book club read on Hyperion once. Well worth looking for the threads on it.

Thanks! Will do.  Must say that I've finished Chapter 1 (The Priest's Tale) and I'm really enjoying it.

Offline Jeni

« Reply #4520 on: April 21, 2014, 03:20:23 PM »
The Bonehunters by Steven Erikson (MBotF #6)  :D

Offline Hedin

« Reply #4521 on: April 21, 2014, 06:16:36 PM »
I'm in a little bit of a rut right now.  Reading Peter V. Brett's The Desert Spear and I don't know if the book just isn't doing it for me (a possibility) or if I'm just a little reading burned out right now (another real possibility as this is book #15 for this year so far) but I'm just not getting very far with it right now.

Offline Majin Paul

« Reply #4522 on: April 22, 2014, 03:11:01 AM »
Just been reading Republic of Thieves, probably the best gentleman bastards book  so far imo. Now I've just got to decide what's next.

Offline Stars Cascade

• Bridgeburner
  • All Knowledge is worth having
« Reply #4523 on: April 22, 2014, 05:15:24 PM »
Shadowplay by Tad Williams. Going to start Abercrombie at last. Also have the new Aidan harte to read. Really liked the first 2 so looking forward to the final book of the trilogy.  :)
~ Love as thou Wilt ~

*@stars__cascade*

Offline HAnthe

« Reply #4524 on: April 22, 2014, 08:06:49 PM »
Just started Empire In Black and Gold by Adrian Tchaikovsky.  Very early in it but it goes immediately into the action, so I'm interested.

Offline Dessembrae

« Reply #4525 on: April 22, 2014, 10:23:05 PM »
 David Gemmell's Legend. I'm half way through, and it's a great read. It's been on my TBR pile for years. ::)

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #4526 on: April 22, 2014, 11:18:12 PM »
I finished Moon's Artifice by Tom Lloyd. Really enjoyed it, and am quite surprised I have not heard more recommendations or reviews for it.

I started Half a King by Abercrombie. Definitely liking it quite a bit so far. Different tone and type protagonist from his other books, but still quite enjoyable.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline Idlewilder

« Reply #4527 on: April 23, 2014, 08:27:51 AM »
I finished Moon's Artifice by Tom Lloyd. Really enjoyed it, and am quite surprised I have not heard more recommendations or reviews for it.

Gollancz dished out a few free copies here and there, but apart from that...doesn't look to have been any real promotion. I'd be surprised if many people out with Tom Lloyd fans and those in the genre community (ie, us) even know about it. Bit of a shame really.  :-\
Make Another World.

Offline Jeni

« Reply #4528 on: April 23, 2014, 11:00:31 AM »

Gollancz dished out a few free copies here and there, but apart from that...doesn't look to have been any real promotion. I'd be surprised if many people out with Tom Lloyd fans and those in the genre community (ie, us) even know about it. Bit of a shame really.  :-\

I didn't actually realise it wasn't part of his longer series until I read Arry's review.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #4529 on: April 23, 2014, 12:26:33 PM »

I didn't actually realise it wasn't part of his longer series until I read Arry's review.

Nobody reads my posts :'(
hehehe

No, Jeni, his previous series was 5 books in total, finished a couple of years ago.
This is the start (hopefully) of another one, but he must have enough sales on book 1 to continue publishing, so I'm glad others are now talking about this great book :)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!