April 12, 2021, 07:38:04 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 2170364 times)

Offline Peat

• Master Namer
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #14415 on: March 24, 2021, 10:59:39 AM »
Started A.K. Larwood's The unspoken name and after the first chapter I'm all tingling and raring to go, it just feels FAB ;D
No date for UK publication of book 2, though :'(
Wait, what?
I started part 2 and suddenly it's kinda SF? Is that what they mean by "genre-bending"? So curious to read more, find out how they mix the 2!!

@Peat, this is one I think you might like (although at the moment cupi might be the better person to recommend it, since she read it all hehe), and even maybe, dare I say it, @eclipse ...

It's on my list - will probably get to it in April.
This is the blog of Peat - https://peatlong.wordpress.com/

Offline Bender

• Gentleman Bastard
« Reply #14416 on: March 24, 2021, 11:16:19 AM »
Forgot to get it when it was free last month! Damn.
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline Peat

• Master Namer
« Reply #14417 on: March 25, 2021, 10:35:24 AM »
I've been re-reading first three books of the The Book of Years series by Peter Morwood, and will finish it with the last book, which I am reading for the first time ever.

And the first book really works for me.
And the second book feels kinda hackneyed and pale imitation but it's still solid genre fiction
And the third book is a mess that, while entertaining, feels a bit retconny of the spirit and events of the first two in places,
And the fourth and final book has a weird, unpleasant and seemingly pointless retcon, a dull plot, overwrought characterisation, and I'm seriously considering DNFing.

I don't think I've ever before met a series that declines so markedly.
This is the blog of Peat - https://peatlong.wordpress.com/

Offline Bender

• Gentleman Bastard
« Reply #14418 on: March 25, 2021, 12:29:59 PM »
Just starting Mark Lawrence's Girl and the Mountain. I wasn't super impressed with Girl and the Stars, so fingers crossed!
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline Rostum

• Strange Turnip Person and He Who Waits
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #14419 on: March 25, 2021, 07:42:21 PM »
Just starting Mark Lawrence's Girl and the Mountain. I wasn't super impressed with Girl and the Stars, so fingers crossed!

It's not released in the UK for another month, so you get to steal a march on us Brits. let us know what you think?

Offline Bender

• Gentleman Bastard
« Reply #14420 on: March 26, 2021, 03:14:59 AM »

It's not released in the UK for another month, so you get to steal a march on us Brits. let us know what you think?

It releases here in 14th April too, but managed to wrangle an advance copy from Mark. Browsing Girl and Stars now to refresh my memory.

Will post a review once I finish.

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

• Master Namer
    • Goodreads Author Profile
« Reply #14421 on: March 26, 2021, 05:10:46 AM »

It releases here in 14th April too, but managed to wrangle an advance copy from Mark. Browsing Girl and Stars now to refresh my memory.

Do let me know too, Bender! I'm quite curious with this one, since I usually enjoy Mark's other novels, but have heard that Girls and the Stars got quite some mixed reviews.

Offline Rostum

• Dragonrider
« Reply #14422 on: March 27, 2021, 11:37:29 PM »
Finished What Abigail did that Summer by Ben Aaronvitch. A great read, written  from a different perspective.

Offline isos81

• Kingkiller
« Reply #14423 on: March 29, 2021, 07:44:54 AM »
Paused The Shadow of the Torturer and started The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet by Becky Chambers.
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #14424 on: March 29, 2021, 08:45:19 AM »
Started A.K. Larwood's The unspoken name and after the first chapter I'm all tingling and raring to go, it just feels FAB ;D
No date for UK publication of book 2, though :'(
Wait, what?
I started part 2 and suddenly it's kinda SF? Is that what they mean by "genre-bending"? So curious to read more, find out how they mix the 2!!
Finished this one!

It was great, a mix of (mostly) fantasy with SF elements, great characters, a plot with adventure and quests. It reminded me of Jen Williams' books, actually.
If I had to critisice something, it might be just (in a small way) certain ways of tidying up lose ends, plot pieces from the start/middle that needed some explanation. I can't really describe the feeling, maybe a writer will be able to?

It seems to be part of a series, since it already mentions The thousand eyes on that initial page of all her books, but it did have a good ending and can easily work as a stand-alone.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 09:15:03 AM by ScarletBea »
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline DrNefario

• Valheru
« Reply #14425 on: March 29, 2021, 12:46:42 PM »
I finished In the Ruins (Crown of Stars #6) by Kate Elliott about a week ago. Looking forward to the final book.

After that I read a quick crime thriller, and now I've started Transition by Iain Banks. This was marketed as mainstream in the UK, but SF (with the added middle initial) in the US. I've been rationing my remaining Banks books since his untimely death, but I thought it was about time. It must be a few years since I last read one.

Offline Bender

• Gentleman Bastard
« Reply #14426 on: March 30, 2021, 03:01:38 AM »

Do let me know too, Bender! I'm quite curious with this one, since I usually enjoy Mark's other novels, but have heard that Girls and the Stars got quite some mixed reviews.

It's a good read. And if you also loved 'other Abeth books', you can expect a nice surprise at the end!

https://fanfiaddict.com/2021/03/29/review-the-girl-and-the-mountain-book-of-the-ice-2-by-mark-lawrence/

Offline Rostum

• Dragonrider
« Reply #14427 on: March 31, 2021, 11:35:02 PM »
Ta muchly

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

• Master Namer
    • Goodreads Author Profile
« Reply #14428 on: April 01, 2021, 05:27:50 AM »
I've just finished Memories of Ice. 7.5/5 stars. It's the Malazan with the most hilarious scenes, but at the same time the saddest scenes so far in the series for me. Similarly to Deadhouse Gates, there are characters where I'd love to read a continuation of their journey in later books, and characters whom I thought already had a good conclusion of their arc and I think should probably retire in peace. Also Kruppe definitely won the award of the most entertaining character in the series for me for sure. Now I'm probably gonna rest somewhat and read some palate cleanser novels before continuing on towards House of Chains in time.  8)

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #14429 on: April 01, 2021, 08:07:16 AM »
I'm now reading Mark Lawrence's The girl and the stars!

Lately I've been buying books as they come out, but only read them just before the last of the trilogy is published, so they can go straight through, but since Mark always does a "what happened in last book" section in books 2 and 3, I don't have that problem with him :D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!