April 12, 2021, 08:59:47 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 2170408 times)

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

• Master Namer
    • Goodreads Author Profile
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #14400 on: March 14, 2021, 08:07:12 AM »
I'm reading Memories of Ice and I say you've gotta love Malazan. The start of this book is surprisingly light, there's a card table coveted by the Bridgeburners that got stolen back and forth, then one day decided to fly ramdomly over Kaladan Brood's head.  ;D Toc the Young's adventures where he continually is getting seduced and watch badasses duel one another is wonderfully amazing and hilarious at times as well. 

Offline Neveesandeh

• Ambient Mage
« Reply #14401 on: March 14, 2021, 08:13:54 AM »
Soooo... while I passionately hate the way that the Hero's Journey and the monomyth has made it into writing orthodoxy, I'm reading Pathways to Bliss, edited speeches by Joseph Campbell. It goes into what makes myth and mythological figures different from stories, and how they play into how we shape and actively transform our lives as individuals.

I also have come to resent the hero's journey. My knowledge of Campbell is quite surface level, but I do remember reading or hearing somewhere that the hero's journey was meant to be a lens of literary analysis, not an actual writing guide.

Offline Magnus Hedén

• High Lord of commas and Grand Master of semicolons
  • Mistborn
  • My name is Magnus. I make stuff up.
« Reply #14402 on: March 14, 2021, 09:37:16 AM »
Soooo... while I passionately hate the way that the Hero's Journey and the monomyth has made it into writing orthodoxy, I'm reading Pathways to Bliss, edited speeches by Joseph Campbell. It goes into what makes myth and mythological figures different from stories, and how they play into how we shape and actively transform our lives as individuals.

Yeah, I have an ambiguous relationship with Campbell's work as well. It's very interesting. But it bothers me to no end that so many people think it's the way to tell a story.

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #14403 on: March 15, 2021, 02:07:23 AM »

I also have come to resent the hero's journey. My knowledge of Campbell is quite surface level, but I do remember reading or hearing somewhere that the hero's journey was meant to be a lens of literary analysis, not an actual writing guide.

Yeah, I have an ambiguous relationship with Campbell's work as well. It's very interesting. But it bothers me to no end that so many people think it's the way to tell a story.

Yeah, esp in the entertainment industry!  We should start a Too Hipster for the Hero's Journey club :)  @Neveesandeh  "resent" is exactly the way I feel about it!

Campbell himself is pretty cool. He was looking for patterns in myth, almost in a Jungian collective unconscious sense, and came up with the Hero's Journey.  (I feel the same way about Campbell that I do about Foucault. Don't mind his original arguments as an academic, but I can't stand what people *do* with what he wrote).

In this book, it's really interesting to think of stories as transcending time and space to model ways of being and ways of growing. I'd always just thought of folk tales as cautionary tales, he's got another way of looking at it I hadn't considered before.

Offline isos81

• Kingkiller
« Reply #14404 on: March 15, 2021, 06:20:43 AM »
Finished Starts! My Destination. Started Shadow of the Torturer (Book #1 of Book of the New Sun).

Started and finished Amok by Zweig. Also started Zorba by Kazancakis.
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Elderling
« Reply #14405 on: March 15, 2021, 06:38:41 AM »
Finished Starts! My Destination. Started Shadow of the Torturer (Book #1 of Book of the New Sun).

http://fantasy-faction.com/forum/(jul2012)-the-book-of-the-new-sun/

Good luck with that read , no one enjoyed it much here. Nearly as bad as The Darkness that came before the worst book club read in history here.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 06:41:56 AM by eclipse »
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline isos81

• Kingkiller
« Reply #14406 on: March 15, 2021, 07:28:26 AM »

http://fantasy-faction.com/forum/(jul2012)-the-book-of-the-new-sun/

Good luck with that read , no one enjoyed it much here. Nearly as bad as The Darkness that came before the worst book club read in history here.

It's a book club read too (in a local forum), but a hard read indeed. Let's see how it's going to end for me. :)
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #14407 on: March 16, 2021, 03:10:10 PM »
I've now started The binding by Bridget Collins, which I thought it was a sort of historical fiction but it's looking to be a lot magic fantasy/fairytale in the likes of Naomi Novik (off-Temeraire)!
I finished that one, which turned out to be a lovely gay romance involving lost memories and a great witch-like character :D

I've now started book 2 of Daniel Kelly's Troy series, A hero's welcome.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Henry Dale

• The Unsummonable and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
« Reply #14408 on: March 16, 2021, 03:45:51 PM »
I'm reading lud-in-the-mist by Hope Mirrlees.
With praises from authors like Neil gaiman I was too curious :p
The writing style is... Quaint? Idk how else to describe it. It's a book from the 1920s and it shows.

Offline Bender

• Gentleman Bastard
« Reply #14409 on: March 16, 2021, 10:07:01 PM »
Just finished City of Brass. So good!

Low fantasy with lots of politics and intrigue.

8.5/10
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline Peat

• Master Namer
« Reply #14410 on: March 17, 2021, 02:30:18 AM »
I'm reading lud-in-the-mist by Hope Mirrlees.
With praises from authors like Neil gaiman I was too curious :p
The writing style is... Quaint? Idk how else to describe it. It's a book from the 1920s and it shows.

Quaint is a good enough word. It's very deliberately a little archaic and whimsical and all that. There's times when it feels more like a history than a story.

I did enjoy it though.
This is the blog of Peat - https://peatlong.wordpress.com/

Offline ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #14411 on: March 20, 2021, 09:44:58 AM »
I've now started book 2 of Daniel Kelly's Troy series, A hero's welcome.
I "sped-read" this book, it wasn't really for me. A lot of greek myths turned into a story, which should have been my type, but it just didn't click.

Started A.K. Larwood's The unspoken name and after the first chapter I'm all tingling and raring to go, it just feels FAB ;D
No date for UK publication of book 2, though :'(

Offline isos81

• Kingkiller
« Reply #14412 on: March 20, 2021, 06:45:55 PM »
The Shadow of the Torturer is a difficult book to read.It's been 10 days since I started, and I'm only %20 in.

Started Serenad by Zulfu Livaneli. Livaneli is a left-winger singer, and he also writes. This is his first book that I read, and people consider it his best work.

Here is the synopsis of the book in case you're interested. There is also English/German translation and audibook.

Spoiler for Hiden:
In this heartbreaking Turkish novel based on the real-life sinking of a refugee ship during World War II, an elderly professor leaves America to revisit the city where he last glimpsed his beloved wife.

Istanbul, 2001. Maya Duran is a single mother struggling to balance a demanding job at Istanbul University with the challenges of raising a teenage son. Her worries increase when she is tasked with looking after the enigmatic Maximilian Wagner, an elderly German-born Harvard professor visiting the city at the university's invitation. Although he is distant at first, Maya gradually learns of the tragic circumstances that brought him to Istanbul sixty years before, and the dark realities that continue to haunt him.

Inspired by the 1942 Struma disaster, in which nearly 800 Jewish refugees perished after the ship carrying them to Palestine was torpedoed off the coast of Turkey, Serenade for Nadia is both a poignant love story and a gripping testament to the power of human connection in crisis.

Offline ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #14413 on: March 23, 2021, 08:06:56 AM »
Started A.K. Larwood's The unspoken name and after the first chapter I'm all tingling and raring to go, it just feels FAB ;D
No date for UK publication of book 2, though :'(
Wait, what?
I started part 2 and suddenly it's kinda SF? Is that what they mean by "genre-bending"? So curious to read more, find out how they mix the 2!!

@Peat, this is one I think you might like (although at the moment cupi might be the better person to recommend it, since she read it all hehe), and even maybe, dare I say it, @eclipse ...

Offline Rostum

• Strange Turnip Person and He Who Waits
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #14414 on: March 24, 2021, 05:53:08 AM »
Put the kindle aside as I am off for a while now started What Abigail did that Summer and it is good.