March 07, 2021, 09:40:02 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 2149308 times)

Offline Justin

• Seeker
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #14340 on: February 10, 2021, 09:10:12 PM »
Just started Spinning Silver by Naomi Novik.

Offline isos81

• Kingkiller
« Reply #14341 on: February 11, 2021, 08:59:10 AM »
Finished Old Man's War, a funny and fantastic read.

The whole series? it just keeps getting better.

Only the first one, but will definitely read the rest.
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #14342 on: February 11, 2021, 07:44:39 PM »
Read Aliette de Bodard's Fireheart Tiger. Twistier than any novella has any right to be. The writing zips by but I had to take several moments to reflect while reading. Its tender and harrowing by turns.
That sounds really interesting. Added to the TBR.

And Old Man's War is great - all of them. :)

I'm still in Kingdom of Copper, not much reading time the last week(s). But I did finish Steamworld Dig 2 and Steamworld Heist and thus played already more computer games in 2021 than in the whole of 2020. ;)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 08:18:43 PM by xiagan »
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline DrNefario

• Valheru
« Reply #14343 on: February 11, 2021, 08:08:41 PM »
I love Steamworld Heist. Dig 2 is also fine, but Heist is more my taste.

Erm, yeah, books. I'm still reading Daughter of the Forest by Juliet Marillier, and really liking it. Sorcha gets put through quite a lot, but has a inner strength that keeps you rooting for her. More bad stuff was about to happen when I stopped last night. I should also say there was some sexual violence, which I was warned about. It kind of distorts the story, wondering when and how it's going to happen, but I also don't think it's fair not to warn people.

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #14344 on: February 16, 2021, 08:10:57 AM »
I've now started The fall of the phoenix, by Daniel Kelly.
It's a duology that I won in a competition, about the trojan war but in a fantasy setting (I think), so let's see how it goes.

They're short books, just around 250 pages each, so I'll give them a try. I'll say more when I've read more, to be nice...
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline isos81

• Kingkiller
« Reply #14345 on: February 16, 2021, 08:22:23 AM »
Started Red Rising by Pierce Brown.

Paused Red Rising, started Hyperion.
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline paulag

• Seeker
« Reply #14346 on: February 18, 2021, 12:36:07 PM »
Just started Spinning Silver by Naomi Novik.
I started reading this book yesterday and loving it so far! Miryem and Wanda are great protagonists...have not met the third POV yet.
Just finished The Name of the Wind, by Patrick Rothfuss. About to pick up book 2, The Wise Man's Fear. Very, very good so far. Very detailed, imaginative world. The magic system is especially good.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 05:49:04 PM by paulag »

Offline DrNefario

• Valheru
« Reply #14347 on: February 18, 2021, 02:01:46 PM »
I finished Daughter of the Forest by Juliet Marillier. I really enjoyed it. It's a first-person historical fantasy set in Ireland, based on a Grimm's fairy tale. I'll be interested to see if the next book carries on with the same central characters or if it branches out.

After that I started Behind Her Eyes by Sarah Pinborough, because I saw it was coming to Netflix and thought I'd better get it read. I initially believed it was a straight thriller, but now I'm not so sure; there might be a supernatural angle.

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

• Master Namer
    • Goodreads Author Profile
« Reply #14348 on: February 19, 2021, 03:26:14 AM »
I'm reading Rhythm of War and oh god, if Kaladin isn't going to kill Lirin I'd jumped in and strangled the old *&^% myself. He is definitely one of the most irritating characters I've ever come across in fantasy so far, like a combination of Denna and Sabetha (and I don't compare anyone with these two lightly). This is definitely the worst Stormlight book I've read up till now.

Offline Rostum

• Strange Turnip Person and He Who Waits
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #14349 on: February 19, 2021, 10:49:36 AM »
The deathless by Peter Newman who seems to have found his confidence as a not so new author now. I am not sure why this sat in my TBR for so long.

Nevernight on kindle at work. Flowery prose about sex and murder so far.

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

• Master Namer
    • Goodreads Author Profile
« Reply #14350 on: February 20, 2021, 08:21:56 AM »
I'm DNF'ing Rhythm of War for now. I'm going to read a YA novel then move onto Memories of Ice afterwards.

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #14351 on: February 20, 2021, 06:46:41 PM »
I've now started The fall of the phoenix, by Daniel Kelly.
It's a duology that I won in a competition, about the trojan war but in a fantasy setting (I think), so let's see how it goes.

They're short books, just around 250 pages each, so I'll give them a try. I'll say more when I've read more, to be nice...
I just finished this one, and I wanted to like it more than I did, in a "support self-pub" kind of way, but I'm afraid it was 3/5 for me.

I'm not sure I was the target audience, I've read several books about and set during the war of Troy, and this one seemed aimed at those that don't really know the story details - although at the same time, it adds a bunch of characters to the mix and assumes people all know who they are...
For me, it only started getting a bit more interesting when he deviated from the official story and decided to add a twist, but that only happened around page 180 of 240!

I felt the writing was a bit clunky at times, but the battles are well written, just not for me. It also seemed he left a bunch of characters hanging on...

That said, it totally deserves an audience, and I'll be reading book 2 sometime later, which I feel might be better for me as it seems to focus more on invented stories.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 06:49:43 PM by ScarletBea »
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline DrNefario

• Valheru
« Reply #14352 on: February 20, 2021, 07:19:24 PM »
I finished Daughter of the Forest by Juliet Marillier. I really enjoyed it. It's a first-person historical fantasy set in Ireland, based on a Grimm's fairy tale. I'll be interested to see if the next book carries on with the same central characters or if it branches out.

After that I started Behind Her Eyes by Sarah Pinborough, because I saw it was coming to Netflix and thought I'd better get it read. I initially believed it was a straight thriller, but now I'm not so sure; there might be a supernatural angle.
I finished Behind Her Eyes. It was good, but I wasn't totally happy with the ending. I saw it coming, and hoped for a few more turns. 13 Minutes was better.

I've started Orconomics by J Zachary Pike, and I'm enjoying it so far.

Offline Bender

• Gentleman Bastard
« Reply #14353 on: February 20, 2021, 07:29:55 PM »
Quote from: DrNefario link=topic=104.msg21author=DrNefario2573#msg212573 date=1613848764

I've started Orconomics by J Zachary Pike, and I'm enjoying it so far.

That's a great book!
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #14354 on: February 20, 2021, 09:21:05 PM »
Finished Kingdom of Copper. Great ending, can't wait to start Empire of Gold.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)