March 07, 2021, 08:52:52 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 2149294 times)

Offline eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Elderling
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #14325 on: February 04, 2021, 11:44:16 AM »
Finished Dune Messiah, started Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card.

Ps: I remember vaguely that Card was a troublesome writer. What was wrong with him?

https://www.vice.com/en/article/znwb4j/orson-scott-card-is-officially-the-most-racist-sci-fi-author

I don’t know how you can be officially the most. You are or your are not.

https://www.verbicidemagazine.com/2013/11/07/homophobia-quotes-orson-scott-card-controversy-bigot-enders-game/

Please don’t read the link if you don’t want to get angry or upset, it’s very offensive.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 12:01:40 PM by eclipse »
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline DrNefario

• Valheru
« Reply #14326 on: February 04, 2021, 03:27:40 PM »
I finished Orders of Battle (Frontlines #7) by Marko Kloos. It was all basically settled after book 6, but now they're in big trouble again, and I have to wait for the next one.

I think I'm going to read Daughter of the Forest (Sevenwaters #1) by Juliet Marillier next.

Offline wakarimasen

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Night Angel
  • used to be a kender...
« Reply #14327 on: February 04, 2021, 06:39:23 PM »
Working my way through Robin Hobb's catalogue and loving it...

With the slight proviso that something better feckin' happen soon in Fool's Quest or imma reach out with the wit and strangle someone (probably fitz because he's the dumbest canny person ever).

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

• Master Namer
    • Goodreads Author Profile
« Reply #14328 on: February 06, 2021, 10:05:31 AM »
I finished reading Mort today. I even left my house in the morning late because of it, I was so enthralled in the book and how it was gonna end, hahah.  ;D 4.5/5 stars. Gotta say, it's one hell of a hilarious, exciting, and quirky adventure, although the story does seemed to be a standalone? I thought that there were many books in the Death Discworld series? Does it continue with more of Death's solitary adventures, or Mort's further adventures?

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #14329 on: February 06, 2021, 12:33:06 PM »
The Discworld Death books are largely standalone, they’re connected by focusing on the character of Death.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Online Bender

• Gentleman Bastard
« Reply #14330 on: February 07, 2021, 12:54:05 AM »
Santiago: A myth of the far future
- Mike Resnick

Tarantino's Hateful Eight in Space - Not exactly accurate, but it's the feel I got! A sci-fi read that plays on Wild West tropes, filled with fun names and larger than life character, from bounty hunters to mysterious bandidos, it's light, fun and engaging and unique read.

7/10
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

• Master Namer
    • Goodreads Author Profile
« Reply #14331 on: February 07, 2021, 03:32:36 AM »
Just started Rhythm of War. I do remember being less impressed with Oathbringer than I am with Way of Kings and Words of Radiance, and the beginning of this book felt pretty bleh-ish to me. Navani's first chapter on party organization almost got me dropping it for a bit, then Kaladin's and Vail's chapter sounds kinda like the daily diary of the mentally ill (and this is from me who's also have a mental illness). I do remember a feeling quite a lot less intrigue with the Radiants and a lot of many other main topics of the book in book 3, but let's see.

Also, are there any good places with summaries of Oathbringer on the internet? I kinda forgot what the Fused and the Everstorm are.

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #14332 on: February 07, 2021, 09:31:22 AM »
I started Nick Martell's Kingdom of liars, and I think this will be another of those exceptions where both @eclipse and I like the book ;D

It was funny, the start, because it matched one of the strongest starting paragraphs I've read in a long time (such a huge amount of information in those few words, great scene setting!) with one of my pet peeves (in both books and screen), which is starting with an action scene and then go "X time earlier...."
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Elderling
« Reply #14333 on: February 07, 2021, 10:04:51 AM »
I started Nick Martell's Kingdom of liars, and I think this will be another of those exceptions where both @eclipse and I like the book ;D

It was funny, the start, because it matched one of the strongest starting paragraphs I've read in a long time (such a huge amount of information in those few words, great scene setting!) with one of my pet peeves (in both books and screen), which is starting with an action scene and then go "X time earlier...."

2021 heading to be a strange year. I’m with you on the “X time earlier....”  too.
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline isos81

• Kingkiller
« Reply #14334 on: February 08, 2021, 05:38:02 AM »
Finished Ender's Game, fabolous read. Started Old Man's War.
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline hexa

• Ambient Mage
« Reply #14335 on: February 09, 2021, 07:49:43 PM »
Third Prince by Toby Neighbors.  Coming-of-age fantasy.  Good stuff

Offline Peat

• Master Namer
« Reply #14336 on: February 10, 2021, 12:01:33 AM »
Read Aliette de Bodard's Fireheart Tiger. Twistier than any novella has any right to be. The writing zips by but I had to take several moments to reflect while reading. Its tender and harrowing by turns.
This is the blog of Peat - https://peatlong.wordpress.com/

Offline isos81

• Kingkiller
« Reply #14337 on: February 10, 2021, 07:48:33 PM »
Finished Old Man's War, a funny and fantastic read. Started Red Rising by Pierce Brown.
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Online Bender

• Gentleman Bastard
« Reply #14338 on: February 10, 2021, 08:16:19 PM »
Finished Old Man's War, a funny and fantastic read.

The whole series? it just keeps getting better.
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Online Bender

• Gentleman Bastard
« Reply #14339 on: February 10, 2021, 08:25:37 PM »
The Primus Initiative by Robert Davies