April 15, 2021, 03:35:51 AM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 2171181 times)

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #14310 on: January 28, 2021, 09:35:27 AM »
Philip Pullman's The Secret Commonwealth.
It feels great to be back with Lyra and a daemons-filled world!
She's around 20 now, and there's definitely a more adult vibe.

I've finished this last night and I'm really annoyed because there's no closure whatsoever. I can't even say it's a cliffhanger. It's like he ended the book after a random chapter because it was already too big, it'll continue in the next one!
And unlike usual fantasy trilogies, this book 2 was published first in Oct 2019, but there's zero info on when book 3 will come out :'(

But saying this, it was an amazing one, with lots of new thoughts to get your head around...
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline isos81

• Kingkiller
« Reply #14311 on: February 01, 2021, 06:10:19 AM »
Finished Blackflame, best one so far. Then finished Artificial Condition (Murderbot #3), a very short and nice read. Started Dune Messiah.
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline DrNefario

• Valheru
« Reply #14312 on: February 01, 2021, 02:13:16 PM »
I finished The Gathering Storm (Crown of Stars #5) by Kate Elliott on Saturday, and have started Orders of Battle (Frontlines #7) by Marko Kloos, a  new entry in his military SF series. Apparently it's just setting the groundwork for a new arc, but I'm enjoying it so far.

Offline cupiscent

• Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • an nonsense
    • viscerate.com
« Reply #14313 on: February 01, 2021, 10:38:59 PM »
I'm finally reading Wexler's fifth and final Shadow Campaign book, The Infernal Battalion, because I want to know what Bea had to say about it. ;D

Offline ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #14314 on: February 02, 2021, 08:04:10 AM »
I'm finally reading Wexler's fifth and final Shadow Campaign book, The Infernal Battalion, because I want to know what Bea had to say about it. ;D
Yay! :D

Offline Peat

• Master Namer
« Reply #14315 on: February 02, 2021, 09:35:43 AM »
Giving The Shadow of What Was Lost a go and I can't help but suspect what was lost was 'being interested' going from the early pages. There's a soothing quality about the prose - like a soporific - so I'll probably continue, but the world is so mundane.
This is the blog of Peat - https://peatlong.wordpress.com/

Offline ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #14316 on: February 02, 2021, 10:12:22 AM »
Giving The Shadow of What Was Lost a go and I can't help but suspect what was lost was 'being interested' going from the early pages. There's a soothing quality about the prose - like a soporific - so I'll probably continue, but the world is so mundane.
Such a funny review ;D
Who's the writer?

Offline Peat

• Master Namer
« Reply #14317 on: February 02, 2021, 10:25:18 AM »
Such a funny review ;D
Who's the writer?

James Islington.

People keep comparing it to Wheel of Time and I guess I can see why but, a certain texture to the prose aside (Jordan-esque minus all the descriptions), it feels like they took everything I liked from early WoT and kept everything I didn't.
This is the blog of Peat - https://peatlong.wordpress.com/

Offline Neveesandeh

• Ambient Mage
« Reply #14318 on: February 02, 2021, 02:24:42 PM »
I'm getting to the end of the fourth Witcher book: 'Time of Contempt'. I prefer the novels to the short story collections so far.

Offline Rostum

• Strange Turnip Person and He Who Waits
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #14319 on: February 02, 2021, 10:55:33 PM »
Finished Light bringer twas OK.Started The Deathless by Peter Newman been in my TBR for far too long.

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

• Master Namer
    • Goodreads Author Profile
« Reply #14320 on: February 03, 2021, 03:09:25 AM »
Finished Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince. 5/5 stars. Another great entry into the Harry Potter series, although I do feel that the film for this book quite differed from the book somewhat. I do remember some cool scenes in the movies that I didn't see in the book, so I guess I'll prefer the movie for this one.

I was in quite a jumble yesterday on what to read next, and I stumbled upon Mort by Sir Terry Pratchett which I'd bought an age ago in my attempt to dip into the Discworld pool. I started reading it and man, it was damn hilarious and so cleverly written that I'd nose exhaled or chuckled every few pages. The Discworld also seemed to be one hell of an intriguing setting as well. I'm definitely enjoying this one and following through the epic and hilarious journey of this book.  ;D

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #14321 on: February 03, 2021, 05:02:50 AM »
Finished Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince. 5/5 stars. Another great entry into the Harry Potter series, although I do feel that the film for this book quite differed from the book somewhat. I do remember some cool scenes in the movies that I didn't see in the book, so I guess I'll prefer the movie for this one.

I was in quite a jumble yesterday on what to read next, and I stumbled upon Mort by Sir Terry Pratchett which I'd bought an age ago in my attempt to dip into the Discworld pool. I started reading it and man, it was damn hilarious and so cleverly written that I'd nose exhaled or chuckled every few pages. The Discworld also seemed to be one hell of an intriguing setting as well. I'm definitely enjoying this one and following through the epic and hilarious journey of this book.  ;D
I know I’m in the minority, but Mort is my favourite Discworld book.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Magnus Hedén

• High Lord of commas and Grand Master of semicolons
  • Mistborn
  • My name is Magnus. I make stuff up.
« Reply #14322 on: February 03, 2021, 09:52:30 AM »
Mort was one of my favourites as well, out of the ones I read. I do keep meaning to go back and read more Pratchett.

Offline Bender

• Gentleman Bastard
« Reply #14323 on: February 03, 2021, 01:40:10 PM »
Such a funny review ;D
Who's the writer?

James Islington.

People keep comparing it to Wheel of Time and I guess I can see why but, a certain texture to the prose aside (Jordan-esque minus all the descriptions), it feels like they took everything I liked from early WoT and kept everything I didn't.

It's a clone with slight additions. After book 1, with a bland plot and uninspiring characters (except the antagonist) I gave up on the series. Prose and writing style were good, but that only goes so far.. 
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline isos81

• Kingkiller
« Reply #14324 on: February 04, 2021, 08:34:35 AM »
Finished Dune Messiah, started Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card.

Ps: I remember vaguely that Card was a troublesome writer. What was wrong with him?
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'