April 15, 2021, 03:02:18 AM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 2171161 times)

Offline CameronJohnston

• Great Old One
  • Auror
    • Cameron Writes
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #14295 on: January 26, 2021, 04:28:13 PM »
I've been so busy since the start of the year I've barely had time to sit down, so I'm dedicating this whole week to reading, writing, etc. and I have to say - it's been the best week I've had in a long time. So nice to finally catch up with all the amazing work out there.

Currently reading The Gutter Prayer by Gareth Hanrahan. I started it a while ago but too much stuff came up and I lost track, but glad I picked it up again. Really great read.

Oh yes, that's a good one! I've been meaning to pick up the sequel but haven't had the time.

The Traitor God & God of Broken Things

Offline Bender

• Gentleman Bastard
« Reply #14296 on: January 26, 2021, 04:41:45 PM »
Currently reading Dark Oak by Jacob Sannox - I've already read 15 chapters in three days which is the furthest I've got in a book in that short a space of time, so I must be onto something good  :D

My brother recommended this too as it is similar to Diablo. Haven't started playing it though.
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline Bender

• Gentleman Bastard
« Reply #14297 on: January 26, 2021, 04:43:56 PM »
Currently reading The Gutter Prayer by Gareth Hanrahan. I started it a while ago but too much stuff came up and I lost track, but glad I picked it up again. Really great read.

Not sure why, but I gave it up after first few chapters. Constantly wanted to get back in, but got distracted in some other books.
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline HLTinsley

• Tribute
« Reply #14298 on: January 26, 2021, 06:12:51 PM »
I'm making a real effort this year to just stick to one book at a time because I'm a nightmare for jumping from one to the other, that being said I have just ordered Traitor's Blade so I'm going to have to show to discipline about making sure I finish my current TBRs first.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #14299 on: January 26, 2021, 06:29:25 PM »
I have just ordered Traitor's Blade
Oh those books are so great/fun :D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #14300 on: January 26, 2021, 08:34:20 PM »
I've been so busy since the start of the year I've barely had time to sit down, so I'm dedicating this whole week to reading, writing, etc. and I have to say - it's been the best week I've had in a long time. So nice to finally catch up with all the amazing work out there.

Oh yes, that's a good one! I've been meaning to pick up the sequel but haven't had the time.
I've got the sequel, but haven't had the chance to read it, yet.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Peat

• Master Namer
« Reply #14301 on: January 26, 2021, 09:12:25 PM »
Finished a Jingo re-read. So fun and thoughtful.

Think I'll take some time out from fantasy for the next read, barring the reviews I've gotta stay up with.
This is the blog of Peat - https://peatlong.wordpress.com/

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

• Master Namer
    • Goodreads Author Profile
« Reply #14302 on: January 27, 2021, 03:07:44 AM »
Congrats on the new book @CameronJohnston! *eagerly anticipating intensified*

I'm currently reading Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince as a buffer book between Malazans.  8)

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #14303 on: January 27, 2021, 05:01:56 AM »
Congrats on the new book @CameronJohnston! *eagerly anticipating intensified*

I'm currently reading Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince as a buffer book between Malazans.  8)
Now there’s 2 series you don’t expect to see in the same sentence.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline isos81

• Kingkiller
« Reply #14304 on: January 27, 2021, 05:56:51 AM »
Finished Blindsight, a veeery confusing but brilliant book. One of the hardest sci-fi books I've ever read (not that I read many sci-fi books, though).

Currently reading (and about to finish) Foundation book 3. Don't know what to read next. I got some in mind:
  • Joe Haldeman - Camouflage
  • Roger Williams - The Metamorphosis of Prime Intellect
  • Greg Egan - Quarantine
  • Black Cloud - Fred Hoyle
Any recs?
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Elderling
« Reply #14305 on: January 27, 2021, 06:12:24 AM »
Finished Blindsight, a veeery confusing but brilliant book. One of the hardest sci-fi books I've ever read (not that I read many sci-fi books, though).

Currently reading (and about to finish) Foundation book 3. Don't know what to read next. I got some in mind:
  • Joe Haldeman - Camouflage
  • Roger Williams - The Metamorphosis of Prime Intellect
  • Greg Egan - Quarantine
  • Black Cloud - Fred Hoyle

Any recs?

I hear Lois McMaster Bujold is quite good.
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline CameronJohnston

• Great Old One
  • Auror
    • Cameron Writes
« Reply #14306 on: January 27, 2021, 07:51:18 AM »
I recently read three of the Miles Vorkosigan books by Lois McMaster Bujold, and they are really fun.

The Traitor God & God of Broken Things

Offline Bender

• Gentleman Bastard
« Reply #14307 on: January 27, 2021, 12:25:28 PM »
I'm about to start Santiago Myth of Far Future by Mike Resnick which has been described as fun space western.

Offline Rostum

• Strange Turnip Person and He Who Waits
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #14308 on: January 27, 2021, 02:01:49 PM »
Overlord by Kugane Maruyama seems to be textual manga, no cartoons, but is quite fun so far.

Finished Glasshouse by Charlie Stross which was good and started Babylon's Ashes, book 6 of the Expanse

Offline isos81

• Kingkiller
« Reply #14309 on: January 28, 2021, 05:56:14 AM »
Finished Foundation #3 (Second Foundation), it was meh. Started Blackflame, Cradle #3.
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'