March 02, 2021, 02:49:09 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 2146874 times)

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • Purple Dove House
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #14280 on: January 24, 2021, 04:59:55 AM »
Completely silly, agree w Peat's wife, but I laughed so much, ignored the pc complaints and the clothes were fanb****ytastic. It sent me on to watch Derry Girls because of Nicola Coughlan as Penelope and that was even better.
No way would I bother to read books, but TV series is fun if viewed as satire of Georgette Heyer, who was satirist herself. Try it when you can @cupiscent.
We watched Derry Girls, because we saw some of them on The Great British Celebrity Bake-off and the show was fantastic. Great to see Nicola Coughlan continue her work in Bridgerton, too.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline cupiscent

• Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • an nonsense
    • viscerate.com
« Reply #14281 on: January 24, 2021, 05:19:44 AM »
Completely silly, agree w Peat's wife, but I laughed so much, ignored the pc complaints and the clothes were fanb****ytastic. It sent me on to watch Derry Girls because of Nicola Coughlan as Penelope and that was even better.
No way would I bother to read books, but TV series is fun if viewed as satire of Georgette Heyer, who was satirist herself. Try it when you can @cupiscent.

Delighted to hear it! I have been laughing myself silly over all the little bits and pieces I've seen online, and I will definitely see it eventually (we have netflix-free-month-binge plans, one of these days) if for no other reason than mirth and ogling Rege-Jean Page.  ;)

Online Peat

• Master Namer
« Reply #14282 on: January 24, 2021, 12:19:23 PM »
*sighs* They could at least give us blokes something to ogle as well  ;) Not entirely sure what it says about gender expectations that most male power fantasies are about looking fantastic and being fantastic, while a lot of the popular female ones make up the girl as plain as possible and then have her attract someone who looks fantastic to their great surprise. Although I'm sure a lot has been written on it.

Anyway, back to grinding through The Book of Three. Think I need to reward myself with a Pratchett re-read or maybe trying a Penric and Desdemona novella afterwards.
This is the blog of Peat - https://peatlong.wordpress.com/

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

• Master Namer
    • Goodreads Author Profile
« Reply #14283 on: January 25, 2021, 05:17:12 AM »
I just finished Deadhouse Gates. 6/5 stars. Man, what a book that was. If you're someone who love battle scenes like I do, this book will definitely not disappointed you, since it had more battle scenes that any other book I've ever come across before, and great scenes at that. Coltaine's Chain of Dogs will always be an event in a book that I'll always remember, that's for sure. Stephen Erikson had also managed to do something here that I've never come across in epic fantasy before, he managed to make every POV of every character in this novel unique and interesting. Usually when reading epic fantasy I'll felt a jarring dissatisfaction whenever one interesting POV shifted to another more boring one, but with Deadhouse Gates I'm always anticipating to read any and all of the POVs since they're so great.

Although the ending of the Chain of Dogs POV really got me sad and frustrated in places (due to the actions of
Spoiler for Hiden:
that bloody bastard Pomquel. I almost cheered when he died, that guy deserved to rot in hell.
I ultimately loved how things turned out in the end. I'll definitely be anticipating and eager to read the continuation of Felisin, Kalam, Fiddler, and the Chain of Dogs characters in the next books, and I hope that we'll get a revisiting of characters from book 1 as well. P.S. My favorite duo in this book is Mappo and Icarium for sure, their friendship and eternal journey together are definitely something else. Although I'm satisfied with how their story rolled out and concluded fairly well in the end, and would be alright with their stories ending here.

For people who've read this book, I've got a question, though.
Spoiler for Hiden:
Why does Kalam gave up so easily on assasinating Empress Laseen? She was just talking for a bit and he gave up on killing her? Are there any ulterior reasons for this?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 05:20:01 AM by S. K. Inkslinger »

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #14284 on: January 25, 2021, 09:55:55 AM »
Woooo :D
Go to the readalong threads, please!

And if you think your favourite duo is Mappo and Icarium, wait until you see Tehol and Bugg ;D (@eclipse was telling me this all through the first 4 books, they only appear in book 5)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Bender

• Gentleman Bastard
« Reply #14285 on: January 25, 2021, 03:27:53 PM »
Just started Nice Dragons Finish Last by Rachel Aaron.

My pre-order of Pawn's Gambit by Rob Hayes is out tomorrow, so that come next.
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline Bender

• Gentleman Bastard
« Reply #14286 on: January 26, 2021, 01:59:01 AM »
Was so excited to see @CameronJohnston new book only to realize I have to wait for 7 more months? Not fair, Cam!  >:(
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #14287 on: January 26, 2021, 09:32:44 AM »
Was so excited to see @CameronJohnston new book only to realize I have to wait for 7 more months? Not fair, Cam!  >:(
New book? New book? Where??
Oh wait, after googling I realised I already knew about it sorry :-[
Ooooh August 10, will it be paperback right away, Cam?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 09:34:36 AM by ScarletBea »

Offline CameronJohnston

• Great Old One
  • Auror
    • Cameron Writes
« Reply #14288 on: January 26, 2021, 10:25:17 AM »
Oh yes, Angry Robot don't do hardbacks so it's straight to paperback for me. One day I'll get a fancy hardback on my shelf.

The Traitor God & God of Broken Things

Offline ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #14289 on: January 26, 2021, 10:31:01 AM »
Oh yes, Angry Robot don't do hardbacks so it's straight to paperback for me. One day I'll get a fancy hardback on my shelf.
Well, better for me because I don't buy hardbacks ;D
*adds book to list*

Online isos81

• Kingkiller
« Reply #14290 on: January 26, 2021, 11:42:09 AM »

Why so?

And, congrat @CameronJohnston on the new book. :)
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline Bender

• Gentleman Bastard
« Reply #14291 on: January 26, 2021, 12:42:23 PM »

eBooks should come out early! 7 months earlier to be precise.  ;D

Offline ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #14292 on: January 26, 2021, 01:14:52 PM »

Why so?
Price and space.

Offline Bender

• Gentleman Bastard
« Reply #14293 on: January 26, 2021, 02:23:21 PM »
That's one of the most intriguing and interesting blurbs of all time, Cam!

Offline HLTinsley

• Tribute
« Reply #14294 on: January 26, 2021, 03:51:54 PM »
I've been so busy since the start of the year I've barely had time to sit down, so I'm dedicating this whole week to reading, writing, etc. and I have to say - it's been the best week I've had in a long time. So nice to finally catch up with all the amazing work out there.

Currently reading The Gutter Prayer by Gareth Hanrahan. I started it a while ago but too much stuff came up and I lost track, but glad I picked it up again. Really great read.