March 05, 2021, 08:02:56 AM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 2147806 times)

Offline Bender

• Gentleman Bastard
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #14250 on: January 11, 2021, 05:22:36 AM »
Don't just take my views...it made the finals and could potentially win it all. I believe I'm in the minority view for this book.
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #14251 on: January 11, 2021, 09:51:46 AM »
I've started The infernal batallion, book 5 and last in Django Wexler's first series.
I'm already seeing things are going to get very bad before they end up (hopefully!) well, and I want to read quickly, but at the same time I'm not able to concentrate for longer periods... oh well.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Bender

• Gentleman Bastard
« Reply #14252 on: January 12, 2021, 06:13:58 PM »

Dragon Mage (Rivenworld #1)
- ML Spencer

A coming of age story in the line of John Gwynne's Faithful and Fallen series but only with dragons.

The prose is good and pace taut and has enough twists and turns to keep it interesting till the end. Author has a GRRM style of ruthlessly disposing characters with violence being understated yet brutal.

The characters are a bit standard and there are a couple of plot mechanics that fail the logic check, but apart from that a good read.

Recommended. 7/10
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Online Magnus Hedén

• High Lord of commas and Grand Master of semicolons
  • Bridgeburner
  • My name is Magnus. I make stuff up.
« Reply #14253 on: January 13, 2021, 09:10:53 AM »
I have to speak up for a book I quite randomly bought based solely on that it was recommended to me by Amazon, its title, and the fact that it was very cheap (as I'm short on book money at the moment).

It's called A Wizard's Guide To Defensive Baking by T. Kingfisher, whom I've never heard of before. It's a plucky, funny fantasy book about a teenage girl who knows some very limited magic that she can only apply to baking. Despite the light-heartedness, it does a good job of maintaining a balance by creating drama and tension.

The title along with the first line: "There was a dead girl in my aunt's bakery," pretty much had me sold, and it hasn't disappointed so far (I'm about a third of the way in). I found it a welcome break from epic sci-fi and grimdark fantasy.  8)

Offline isos81

• Kingkiller
« Reply #14254 on: January 13, 2021, 02:37:31 PM »
Finished Three-Body Problem (loved it), and started Fablehaven.
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline Cherie

• Godling
  • Professional Introvert
« Reply #14255 on: January 13, 2021, 03:19:01 PM »
I've started Starless by Jacqueline Carey. It's only been languishing on my shelves for two and a half years!

Offline Peat

• Master Namer
« Reply #14256 on: January 13, 2021, 09:19:44 PM »
I'm dipping in and out of Lud in the Mist.

I've started Starless by Jacqueline Carey. It's only been languishing on my shelves for two and a half years!

A trifling period of time!
This is the blog of Peat - https://peatlong.wordpress.com/

Offline Cherie

• Godling
  • Professional Introvert
« Reply #14257 on: January 14, 2021, 07:33:27 PM »
I'm dipping in and out of Lud in the Mist.

A trifling period of time!
This is one I wanted to read as well! I've got paperbacks that I've had since 2004, and some classics I've had since about 1991...

Offline Rostum

• Strange Turnip Person and He Who Waits
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #14258 on: January 15, 2021, 02:22:37 AM »
Halfway through The first 15 lives of Harry August, not hating it, and it is very clever and well written, but it has not grabbed me.

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

• Master Namer
    • Goodreads Author Profile
« Reply #14259 on: January 15, 2021, 07:43:56 AM »
I've been reading Deadhouse Gates, and was reading the Battle of Sekala Crossing yesterday and found it to be confusing as hell. There's so many types of troops, and I can't imagine the landscape of the battlefield visually, and couldn't place where the ford, the armies, roads, and bridges are supposed to be. I've went to the Malazan wiki to read up on it but that only served to confused me even further, hahah. Does anyone have a link to diagrams/ images that depicts the battle in its entirety and is easily understood?

Offline isos81

• Kingkiller
« Reply #14260 on: January 15, 2021, 08:03:59 AM »
I've been reading Deadhouse Gates, and was reading the Battle of Sekala Crossing yesterday and found it to be confusing as hell. There's so many types of troops, and I can't imagine the landscape of the battlefield visually, and couldn't place where the ford, the armies, roads, and bridges are supposed to be. I've went to the Malazan wiki to read up on it but that only served to confused me even further, hahah. Does anyone have a link to diagrams/ images that depicts the battle in its entirety and is easily understood?

Check these out:

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1-Rqhn-lK66YQKPwZQNbHmuCLBc0d7zwvRLUJFkM3s50/edit

https://www.tor.com/series/malazan-reread-of-the-fallen/
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #14261 on: January 15, 2021, 08:06:35 AM »
Not really - I just go with the flow.

The series I'm reading has quite detailed battle scenes (circa early 19th century) and they keep mentioning "2000 soldiers here", "4000 soldiers there", I have so much trouble imagining so many people...
One thing that did help was when I visited the Royal Armouries museum in Leeds and they had a recreation of the battle of Agincourt, both with little figurines and then in a computer with all the movements. Suddenly many things I'd read in fantasy books made more sense - but it's still hard hehe
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

• Master Namer
    • Goodreads Author Profile
« Reply #14262 on: January 15, 2021, 09:10:36 AM »

Check these out:

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1-Rqhn-lK66YQKPwZQNbHmuCLBc0d7zwvRLUJFkM3s50/edit

https://www.tor.com/series/malazan-reread-of-the-fallen/

Oh hell thank you so much man! With the diagram/ pictograph things really star to make so much sense now. That readalong wiki sure is super useful.  :D

Offline isos81

• Kingkiller
« Reply #14263 on: January 16, 2021, 04:23:46 PM »
Finished Fablehaven. Man, what a let down. Started Lord of Light.

Offline eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Elderling
« Reply #14264 on: January 16, 2021, 04:51:27 PM »
Finished Fablehaven. Man, what a let down. Started Lord of Light.

Never heard of Fablehaven is it a spfbo finalist?

Lord of Light the Roger Zelazny story or the Kathryn Le Veque  one?

Zelazny not let me down yet.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 04:55:17 PM by eclipse »
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate