January 18, 2021, 11:46:31 AM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 2125978 times)

Online Rostum

• Strange Turnip Person and He Who Waits
  • Dragonrider
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #14220 on: December 28, 2020, 09:38:45 AM »
Started CTL+S by Andy Briggs not loving it so far but will give it a bit more of my time.

Online isos81

« Reply #14221 on: December 28, 2020, 10:11:33 AM »
Reading Dune, finished first part. It was so-so, but I believe it now gets better.
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #14222 on: December 31, 2020, 04:11:33 PM »
Finished The Eyre Affair. I liked it, but maybe didn't love it. Possibly not in the right frame of mind.

Started Blackfish City by Sam J Miller, some fairly downbeat SF. I wasn't sure about it at the start, but it has won me over.

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #14223 on: December 31, 2020, 08:24:49 PM »
Started City of Brass!
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Cherie

« Reply #14224 on: January 02, 2021, 07:20:52 PM »
I've finally got around to starting Battleground.

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #14225 on: January 03, 2021, 03:44:51 AM »
I'm at the last book of The Market of Monsters series by Rebecca Shaeffer. 4.2/5 stars. It's pretty damn original in that we got quite a morally ambiguous main character who evolved to become ruthless and cruel to deal with the various threats on her life. Oh and she also love dissecting people during her downtime and that it's the most relaxing thing that she liked to imagine about. She's team up with a ex-torturer for the mafia, who is a creature who needs to eat intense pain to survive. What's pretty damn unique about this series is that the mafia torturer guy is a Thai (same nationality as I am), making it the first novel I've read ever that the main character came from my home country. The author also mentioned Thai festivals such as Songkran and authentic Thai folktales like the krasue, so I'd definitely have to compliment her on her great understanding of the country. Will definitely love to see how it all turned out in the end.

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #14226 on: January 03, 2021, 03:53:03 AM »
My increased reading pace at the end of the year has continued. I finished Map’s Edge by David Hair yesterday and look forward to the next volume of The Tethered Citadel trilogy. I’m currently reading a non fiction called Cheat by former journalist and comedian Titus O’Reilly, and should have that finished later today.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #14227 on: January 03, 2021, 10:14:02 AM »
I finished Blackfish City by Sam J Miller. I liked it, but I kind of expected more, given the praise I had heard.

I have moved on to A Stranger in Olondria by Sofia Samatar. I don't really know what it's about yet, but I like the rich language.

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #14228 on: January 03, 2021, 10:58:51 AM »
I have moved on to A Stranger in Olondria by Sofia Samatar. I don't really know what it's about yet, but I like the rich language.

Very curious about your thoughts on this one! I tried it a few years back and couldn't quite get a grip on it.

Online isos81

« Reply #14229 on: January 03, 2021, 11:01:58 AM »
Finished Dune, loved it. Also about to finish Dr. Moreau's Island. Will start either A Canticle for Leibowitz or Three Body Problem (all of them are book club reads).
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

Online Rostum

• Strange Turnip Person and He Who Waits
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #14230 on: January 03, 2021, 07:12:48 PM »
Finished CTRL+S never really got with it and found I had zero investment in the characters. It was a struggle and very close to a DNF.

DNF'd Frog kisser by Garth Nix at quarter way through. A struggle to get that far. Now I love everything else I have read by Garth so a double disappointment. I can only say avoid this book it is dire.

Started GlassHouse by Charlie Stross. Very weird and interesting so far.

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #14231 on: January 03, 2021, 11:55:50 PM »
Finished CTRL+S never really got with it and found I had zero investment in the characters. It was a struggle and very close to a DNF.

DNF'd Frog kisser by Garth Nix at quarter way through. A struggle to get that far. Now I love everything else I have read by Garth so a double disappointment. I can only say avoid this book it is dire.

Started GlassHouse by Charlie Stross. Very weird and interesting so far.
I loved Frog Kisser. The whole bonkers fairytale feeling appealed to me. I’ve only ever read one other Garth Nix, and that was totally different, and it was okay, but nowhere near as much fun or as enjoyable as Frog Kisser.

And on a completely different note, I just started reading A Memory Called Empire.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Online isos81

« Reply #14232 on: January 05, 2021, 06:57:02 AM »
Finished Dune, loved it. Also about to finish Dr. Moreau's Island. Will start either A Canticle for Leibowitz or Three Body Problem (all of them are book club reads).

Started A Canticle for Leibowitz, loving it so far.

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #14233 on: January 05, 2021, 09:22:25 AM »
The City of Brass was AWESOME. I'll start the Kingdom of Copper today or tomorrow - depending when I'll make it to my book dealer. ;)

Something a bit different: JDFister writes a fantasy web series about a human taking part in a highly magical tournament (first human ever who does this) and I enjoy it a lot. It's not finished and he releases a new chapter every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Chapter 64 was released yesterday. He started publishing them on reddit and has already a patreon where he earns $1700 each month - so others seem to enjoy them to. ;)

He says himself:
I write stories in my free time. Right now I'm writing "Wizard Tournament: Humans Need Not Apply." This is a fantasy story that I'm publishing online for free. I might be granting some advanced access to chapters for patrons, but the entire story will eventually be free online. The whole reason I'm publishing online is because I want as many people to read this story as possible. With support from patrons I hope to one day be able to do this full time.

If you want to check them out, they're easier to read on Patreon than reddit. Here's the index: https://www.patreon.com/posts/41774788, not everything there is accessible without being a patreon (I'm not) but all chapters that are published on reddit are. Enjoy! :)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 09:55:06 AM by xiagan »
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #14234 on: January 07, 2021, 05:34:50 AM »
I'm just starting Deadhouse Gates. Took some getting used to coming back into the Malazan world once again, but now I think I'm going to enjoy this one as well.  :D