March 08, 2021, 03:53:20 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 2149523 times)

Online Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Kingkiller
  • Bookworm first, human second.
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #14205 on: December 24, 2020, 08:03:39 PM »
Finished Rhythm of War.  Oh boy, did I love this. An absolutely mammoth book, but the pages just sped by. I think this might be my favourite Sanderson book yet. So much worldbuilding, so much plot, so much character development. This book had it all, and lots of everything.
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Offline Rostum

• Strange Turnip Person and He Who Waits
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #14206 on: December 25, 2020, 02:40:51 AM »
Reading a weird one The Only Harmless Great thing by Brooke Bollander.

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #14207 on: December 25, 2020, 08:40:38 PM »
For the first 100 pages of Ready Player Two I thought: "this is okay, but why?" then it considerably picked up and now it's really great and I hope he can pull off a satisfying ending.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline DrNefario

• Valheru
« Reply #14208 on: December 25, 2020, 10:24:39 PM »
I started The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde the other day. It's weirder than I expected, and kind of reminds me of the Aberytswyth/Louie Knight books by Malcolm Pryce, so far.

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #14209 on: December 25, 2020, 10:27:44 PM »
I started The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde the other day. It's weirder than I expected, and kind of reminds me of the Aberytswyth/Louie Knight books by Malcolm Pryce, so far.
I hope you enjoy. It’s been in my top reads since I first read it.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #14210 on: December 25, 2020, 10:28:16 PM »
I hope you enjoy. It’s been in my top reads since I first read it.
Same here. I simply love that series :D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #14211 on: December 26, 2020, 09:05:15 PM »
Finished Ready Player Two.

All in all it's not as good as Ready Player One, but it's not bad at all. It has very strong parts and some that are dragging (only because I'm not a Prince-Fanboy or like the teenie movies from the Home Alone-regisseur), the ending is good and it has some really innovative ideas.

Nor sure what to read next. Shorefall? City of Brass? Third attempt at Gideon the Ninth?
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #14212 on: December 27, 2020, 12:26:25 AM »
Finished Ready Player Two.

All in all it's not as good as Ready Player One, but it's not bad at all. It has very strong parts and some that are dragging (only because I'm not a Prince-Fanboy or like the teenie movies from the Home Alone-regisseur), the ending is good and it has some really innovative ideas.

Nor sure what to read next. Shorefall? City of Brass? Third attempt at Gideon the Ninth?
I’m a fan of both Prince and John Hughes teen films, but I felt the book spent far too long in both of those things. I do wonder how younger people who don’t have the same experience of those react to the book.

Offline Rostum

• Dragonrider
« Reply #14213 on: December 27, 2020, 02:19:49 AM »
I’m a fan of both Prince and John Hughes teen films, but I felt the book spent far too long in both of those things. I do wonder how younger people who don’t have the same experience of those react to the book.

Do not worry the film will be massively changed and have nothing in common bar the title. A bit like the first one really. That will be for the young ones.

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #14214 on: December 27, 2020, 04:08:36 AM »

Do not worry the film will be massively changed and have nothing in common bar the title. A bit like the first one really. That will be for the young ones.
I doubt they'll make a film of this. The first one wasn't that well received and understandably so. It was well done from a technical standpoint, but whereas the book had me invested on the characters and the outcome, the film made me feel nothing. If I hadn't read the book I'd be hard put to remember anything at all about the film.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #14215 on: December 27, 2020, 09:17:27 AM »
I'm now on The price of valour, book 3 of the Shadow campaigns by Django Wexler.

More comments on the dedicated thread, but I'm really enjoying this series :D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Elderling
« Reply #14216 on: December 27, 2020, 10:51:42 AM »
The Poison Prince (Hostage of Empire #2) by S.C. Emmett

Looking forward to your thoughts! (Looking forward to reading it too, but in the meantime, I will live vicariously...  ;D )

Loving the book, the plot is advancing  very slowly but the character depth is awesome.  for me this novel is just as good as the first one. I’m not sure if anyone else would love the series as much as us two round here as it’s just talking and having cups of tea with political intrigue thrown in with a bit of romance and  assassination attempts. The series contains  no magic and pointless magic system explained for 100 pages. 😛
« Last Edit: December 27, 2020, 10:53:16 AM by eclipse »
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Rostum

• Dragonrider
« Reply #14217 on: December 27, 2020, 03:13:38 PM »
Finished The Only Harmless Great thing by Brooke Bollander.

A good story set in an alternate 1950 (which was actually closer to 1850 in most ways) Flowery prose. A bit short at 89 pages and costly at £9.00.

Online Eli_Freysson

• Master Namer
    • Eli Freysson's author page
« Reply #14218 on: December 27, 2020, 10:33:20 PM »
I got several books this Christmas. One of them was Nightmares and Dreamscapes, one of the Stephen King short story compilations. I'm about 200 pages in and the stories range between tragic, horrifying, and, um, weird.
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline cupiscent

• Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • an nonsense
    • viscerate.com
« Reply #14219 on: December 28, 2020, 02:38:01 AM »
The Poison Prince (Hostage of Empire #2) by S.C. Emmett

Looking forward to your thoughts! (Looking forward to reading it too, but in the meantime, I will live vicariously...  ;D )

Loving the book, the plot is advancing  very slowly but the character depth is awesome.  for me this novel is just as good as the first one. I’m not sure if anyone else would love the series as much as us two round here as it’s just talking and having cups of tea with political intrigue thrown in with a bit of romance and  assassination attempts. The series contains  no magic and pointless magic system explained for 100 pages. 😛

Cups of tea and intrigue and romance, wheeeee! (Is there poetry too? If there's flower-arranging I might just fall over in a swoon.)

I very nearly picked this one up to read next but we're in the midst of full silly season betwixt Christmas and NY here, so I thought I'd go with something a little shorter and less complex and leave that for when I can really enjoy it (hopefully early in January).