December 04, 2020, 01:47:37 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 2106441 times)

Offline cupiscent

Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #14100 on: November 11, 2020, 10:07:29 AM »
I started Murderbot yesterday which is a relatively short book, then I'll finally start Dune.
Novellas are great for that "I just want to finish something" palate-cleansing. :)

Offline Rostum

• Strange Turnip Person and He Who Waits
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #14101 on: November 12, 2020, 04:20:44 AM »
Finished Redshirts and found it tepid and nearly DNF'd the book twice. Breaking the fourth wall is dire in this screed. Strange that I have enjoyed everything else he has written and loathed this one. The concept should have made this a fun read.

Offline Neveesandeh

« Reply #14102 on: November 12, 2020, 05:23:59 PM »
I finished Neuromancer. I thought it was just okay. I don't really get why it's so loved.

Online Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Kingkiller
  • Bookworm first, human second.
« Reply #14103 on: November 12, 2020, 05:33:52 PM »
Finished Redshirts and found it tepid and nearly DNF'd the book twice. Breaking the fourth wall is dire in this screed. Strange that I have enjoyed everything else he has written and loathed this one. The concept should have made this a fun read.

As a huge Trek fan, I really enjoyed Redshirts, right up until the codas which were just dreadful, and took up a third of the book.

I'm actually starting a new Star trek series now, Christopher L. Bennett's Rise of the Federation.
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Offline hexa

« Reply #14104 on: November 12, 2020, 06:26:05 PM »
Neuromancer launched the subgenre of cyberpunk.  Neuromancer is not that good as a novel.  1984 was before the Internet

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #14105 on: November 12, 2020, 11:22:42 PM »
Neuromancer launched the subgenre of cyberpunk.  Neuromancer is not that good as a novel.  1984 was before the Internet

I think what hexa means - because I was confused for a moment :) - is that Neuromancer was published in 1984, well before the internet was a general thing. (Obviously 1984, the novel, was also before the internet.) It's fascinating to look at what those books (Count Zero and Mona Lisa Overdrive as well) have to say about concepts that are still very pertinent to our modern digital lives. Though I agree, as a "tech thriller" the books are quite dated because so much has been built on top of them since. (Like Lord of the Rings, or other classic fantasy books.)

Offline hexa

« Reply #14106 on: November 13, 2020, 01:38:25 AM »
I like Johnny Mnemonic more than Neuromancer

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #14107 on: November 13, 2020, 04:18:16 AM »

As a huge Trek fan, I really enjoyed Redshirts, right up until the codas which were just dreadful, and took up a third of the book.

I'm actually starting a new Star trek series now, Christopher L. Bennett's Rise of the Federation.
Got to agree there. Redshirts was clever meta fun until the codas, which were unnecessary, self indulgent rubbish.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Online Peat

« Reply #14108 on: November 13, 2020, 08:48:24 AM »

I think what hexa means - because I was confused for a moment :) - is that Neuromancer was published in 1984, well before the internet was a general thing. (Obviously 1984, the novel, was also before the internet.) It's fascinating to look at what those books (Count Zero and Mona Lisa Overdrive as well) have to say about concepts that are still very pertinent to our modern digital lives. Though I agree, as a "tech thriller" the books are quite dated because so much has been built on top of them since. (Like Lord of the Rings, or other classic fantasy books.)

That depends on what direction you're holding the puzzle of course - towering advances become portakabins on the side if your tastes rotate the puzzle that way   :P
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #14109 on: November 13, 2020, 08:47:08 PM »
It's the only book of him I've sitting on my shelves for years. I enjoyed all the others but didn't start this one...

Finished the October Man. It's a short and fun novella with a refreshing new angle on everything surrounding magic. I've never been to Trier but I liked all the small details about Germany and Germans Ben put in there. Nothing felt false and it was extremely well researched. It was a bit weird reading a book about Germans speaking German in English. :D

Started False Value. What comes next? ;) (Besides Tales of the Folly, once it's out.)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #14110 on: November 13, 2020, 10:13:08 PM »
Finished the October Man. It's a short and fun novella with a refreshing new angle on everything surrounding magic. I've never been to Trier but I liked all the small details about Germany and Germans Ben put in there. Nothing felt false and it was extremely well researched. It was a bit weird reading a book about Germans speaking German in English. :D

Thanks for your thoughts, because I was super curious about how "authentically German" it might feel. Occasionally the dialogue still felt very British to me in its phrasing, but my experience of Germany is restricted to one school trip when I was fourteen, and somehow still retaining enough language to be able to say "please speak slower, I'm a foreigner and I don't speak very good German". ;D

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #14111 on: November 14, 2020, 12:28:21 AM »

Thanks for your thoughts, because I was super curious about how "authentically German" it might feel. Occasionally the dialogue still felt very British to me in its phrasing, but my experience of Germany is restricted to one school trip when I was fourteen, and somehow still retaining enough language to be able to say "please speak slower, I'm a foreigner and I don't speak very good German". ;D
Me too. My own experience of Germany, though has been limited to a couple of trips to Munich. It was a surprising, but logical and well written departure.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #14112 on: November 14, 2020, 03:17:47 PM »
Occasionally the dialogue still felt very British to me in its phrasing
I'm not sure I would detect something like this. I  guess you need to be a native speaker to find those nuances...
As you of course know, when translating something, you can't use the original idioms and translate them 1:1, you need to find the phrase with the same meaning in the other language.
So I'm not sure how a "fake" translation from German to British English can feel too British in it's phrasing. ;)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Nighteyes

• Juicy dwarf/orc erotica to go.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
« Reply #14113 on: November 14, 2020, 06:52:29 PM »
The Last Days of New Paris by China Mieville
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Rostum

• Strange Turnip Person and He Who Waits
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #14114 on: November 14, 2020, 08:34:03 PM »
Started False Value. What comes next? ;) (Besides Tales of the Folly, once it's out.)

False Value is great and tales from the folly is only out on kindle atm released 31-7 If you want the paperback its release is November 17th.