November 24, 2020, 09:17:44 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 2102202 times)

Online Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Kingkiller
  • Bookworm first, human second.
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #14025 on: October 26, 2020, 02:19:16 PM »
Finished (and loved) Demon In White. This series might just be edging out Three-Body as my favorite modern SF, and I really wish more people knew about it. Halfway between Dune and Malazan, if that make you want to pick it up.  ;D

Reckon I'll head back into Star Trek for the end of the month.
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Offline isos81

« Reply #14026 on: October 26, 2020, 07:27:53 PM »
Halfway between Dune and Malazan

OK, you got my attention! :)
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Online Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Kingkiller
  • Bookworm first, human second.
« Reply #14027 on: October 27, 2020, 03:50:38 PM »

Are you still reading Dune at the moment?
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Offline isos81

« Reply #14028 on: October 27, 2020, 07:40:55 PM »

Are you still reading Dune at the moment?

Nah, couldn't even start. I can't read anything for over a month. I think I'm in a reading slump, but I'll get over it soon :) Should I read Dune first?
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline Peat

« Reply #14029 on: October 27, 2020, 11:01:09 PM »
I am told that the sequel - Paladin of Souls - is even better. I have such trouble believing this, due to The Curse of Chalion's perfection, that I have yet to read it despite having had it on my ereader for about ten years now. Though, I mean, if anyone can manage it, it's Lois McMaster Bujold.

So perfect you gave it four stars on GR, eh?  :P

I "accidentally" got a stack of ARCs (I didn't really expect to get approved on most of them), two books on the go (officially... ) and a project that'll involve reading a lot of early fantasy (one of the books on the go is Jirel of Joiry, which is just a ton of fun), so I won't be getting to more Bujold soon but I will. Oh I will.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #14030 on: October 27, 2020, 11:10:46 PM »
I am told that the sequel - Paladin of Souls - is even better. I have such trouble believing this, due to The Curse of Chalion's perfection, that I have yet to read it despite having had it on my ereader for about ten years now. Though, I mean, if anyone can manage it, it's Lois McMaster Bujold.

That's embarrassing! :-[  ;D Did I give it a review?? It really burnishes in the memory!

Offline Peat

« Reply #14031 on: October 28, 2020, 01:11:54 AM »

That's embarrassing! :-[  ;D Did I give it a review?? It really burnishes in the memory!

No review, just a rating.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #14032 on: October 28, 2020, 02:59:53 AM »
I tried reading three books and DNF's three books in a single evening.

The Night Watch by Sergei Luknanenkyo. I read it until the part where the MC mentions that the curses we spew at people could actually diminishes their luck and wellbeing in an actual curse-like way, and that was the most stupid thing I've ever read in fantasy or otherwise. I had to stop myself before I decided to burn the book instead since that'd probably give me more enjoyment than reading it.

The Thousand Names by Django Wexler. Maybe I'm not in the mood for epic fantasy, I don't know, but I dropped it just after the first page. The list of names and titles and complicated sounding office just rolled right off me into boredom zone and I just kinda stop reading.

Rise of Empire (Riyria #2) Hoo boy I've tried reading this novel at least 3 times by now and I think it's prime time I finally stopped trying. 2/5 stars. Hadrian is just so obnoxiously irritatingly good that I could vomit on his face or where ever. I'm not even a feminist but the woman bashing at this point is just ridiculous, and the obnoxious king could have gone and get mutilated and killed and I wouldn't felt a thing. Princess Arissa's argument with her brother was also one of the most annoying things I've ever come across in fantasy, I remembered having reached that part in the book throughout my three tries to read, but I still ended up dropping the book around there in the end. In the end though, the thing that really does it for me is Michael J. Sullivan's ability to almost made me snore instantly with his prose, so I don't think I'll ever rediscover a love for this series like I did for Red Sister.

Also I finished reading Priest of Lies. 5.5/5 stars. Another amazing entry into the War of the Rose Throne series. Here things started to finally differ from Peaky Blinders, and the book was all the more amazing for that. I especially loved the portion where Tomas Piety visited Dannsburg, it really added to the world building of the book. The ending was epic as well, like the first book. Will definitely be anticipating the third installment in the series.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 07:18:21 AM by S. K. Inkslinger »

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
« Reply #14033 on: October 28, 2020, 05:32:56 AM »

No review, just a rating.

Thoroughly enjoyed Paladin of Souls and thought it was excellent. If you liked Curse of Chalion you will enjoy this is just as much, but it is different.  Not a sequel as such but features Ista the Mad Queen, as main protagonist. She finally comes into her own after her repressed earlier life and proves strong, smart and wily. The Bastard is still  hanging around. :)
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #14034 on: October 28, 2020, 10:28:15 AM »

JR thinks Hmmm, I want to write tonight so I think I'm going to just glance at some opening lines to various books and analyze what made them work.

[JR crack's @CameronJohnston 's God of Broken things]

9 chapters later I'm still reading.  Damn you, Cameron.

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #14035 on: October 28, 2020, 10:45:25 AM »
The Thousand Names by Django Wexler. Maybe I'm not in the mood for epic fantasy, I don't know, but I dropped it just after the first page. The list of names and titles and complicated sounding office just rolled right off me into boredom zone and I just kinda stop reading.
Please give it a try another time! It's a fantastic series.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #14036 on: October 28, 2020, 11:31:52 AM »

JR thinks Hmmm, I want to write tonight so I think I'm going to just glance at some opening lines to various books and analyze what made them work.

[JR crack's @CameronJohnston 's God of Broken things]

9 chapters later I'm still reading.  Damn you, Cameron.
Bwahahaha! I definitely learned a lot from writing that first book.

The Traitor God & God of Broken Things

Offline ericlewis

« Reply #14037 on: October 28, 2020, 01:25:40 PM »
Just finished HL Tinsley's We Men of Ash and Shadow. A 'gaslamp grimdark' fantasy debut about a stealthy paid assassin in a grim industrial city, haunted by his past and not looking for redemption. Things get more complicated when a possible apprentice appears, and people he never intended to care about are drawn into a dangerous game of power and rebellion. Very quick-paced and entertaining. Style is a tiny bit rough around the edges, but it matches the setting. 4/5. Full review (+ a good beer to pair it with!) on my personal site: https://ericlewis.ink/we-men-of-ash-and-shadow-by-hl-tinsley/
"No one gets what they deserve in life, except by accident."
--Spymistress Vinian, The Heron Kings

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #14038 on: October 28, 2020, 02:40:27 PM »
^ oh nice! And I just noticed she's also a member :) calling @HLTinsley !
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline HLTinsley

« Reply #14039 on: October 28, 2020, 04:06:37 PM »
I am indeed here  :D

Thanks Eric for reading and the review! I'm glad you enjoyed it, and I love the props in the photo.

I guess seeing as I'm here I'll have to add that I'm currently reading Beyond The Shadows by Brent Weeks, I've got The Last Smile in Sunder City by Luke Arnold lined up next and I've also added Glen Cook to the list based on Eric's mention in the review, as I've not read any of his and I'm intrigued now!