October 20, 2020, 07:12:35 AM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 2084388 times)

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #13965 on: October 10, 2020, 08:38:43 AM »
I've just finished reading Blood of Empire, the last book of the Gods of Blood and Powder trilogy. 6/5 stars. Although most of this book wasn't as good as the other two books, but the perfect ending for all three of the characters really nailed it for me. I'll definitely be anticipating any more books coming out from Brian McClellan, especially one set in the Powder Mage universe.  8)

There are plenty of novellas and short stories for Powder Mage, but I believe he's finished with the world (at least for now). he does have a new trilogy starting next year though, I believe. The Glass Immortals.

As for myself, I started Laura Lam/Eizabeth May's Seven Devils, which i was really looking forward to, but am bouncing right off the writing, which is a shame. Once I'm done with it I'll be moving into the ever reliable Joe Abercrombie's Trouble with Peace.

Awh man, that sucks. Maybe I'd get around to reading the novellas/ shorts one day.

I'm currently reading The Last Wish (a Witcher short story collection) I'd say the series, despite not being a 10/10 watch, still manage to convey the story better so far. All the talk about morality in this book is really doing its toll on boring and irritating me, but at least the book is pretty short. As of now I'll not be rating it that highly, though.

Offline Nighteyes

• Juicy dwarf/orc erotica to go.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
« Reply #13966 on: October 10, 2020, 08:52:26 PM »
Strange Weather by Joe Hill
The Real Powers That Be

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #13967 on: October 10, 2020, 09:34:26 PM »
Machinations (Last Resistance, Book 1) by Haley Stone
Recommended by @tebakutis on Twitter
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Nighteyes

• Juicy dwarf/orc erotica to go.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
« Reply #13968 on: October 10, 2020, 11:37:28 PM »
False Values by Ben Aaronvitch
The Real Powers That Be

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #13969 on: October 11, 2020, 12:05:32 AM »
Finally getting started on Anna Smith Spark's Court of Broken Knives, huzzah.

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #13970 on: October 11, 2020, 04:19:46 AM »

That series gotta have the most demented fantasy protagonist I've ever come across to date. Enjoy cupi!

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #13971 on: October 11, 2020, 09:26:10 AM »

That series gotta have the most demented fantasy protagonist I've ever come across to date. Enjoy cupi!
I read the first but it didn't grip me enough to get the rest. I still wonder if it's a case of "wrong timing", so one day I'll re-read it and see if I still feel the same...
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #13972 on: October 11, 2020, 09:49:08 AM »

I read the first but it didn't grip me enough to get the rest. I still wonder if it's a case of "wrong timing", so one day I'll re-read it and see if I still feel the same...

Despite cheering for the protagonist I still haven't read anything else in the series besides the first book too, hahah. Something in the story just put me offish, maybe it was the grimdark aspect and unlikability of a lot of main characters.

Offline Peat

« Reply #13973 on: October 11, 2020, 01:16:12 PM »

Dunno about you, but the prose hasn't helped me. It's very unique. When I read it - or rather, the first forty pages - I found it very admirable, but not great for getting my teeth into.

Offline Neveesandeh

« Reply #13974 on: October 11, 2020, 07:04:43 PM »

Dunno about you, but the prose hasn't helped me. It's very unique. When I read it - or rather, the first forty pages - I found it very admirable, but not great for getting my teeth into.

I actually liked the prose but I hated the protagonist. Really, really hated him. I would be happy to read another book Anna Smith Spark writes but when I do it won't be another in this series.

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #13975 on: October 12, 2020, 05:39:07 AM »

I actually liked the prose but I hated the protagonist. Really, really hated him. I would be happy to read another book Anna Smith Spark writes but when I do it won't be another in this series.

Marith is definitely one of the most unlikable, unredeemable, wreck of a human being protagonist I've ever come across, hahah. I'd definitely felt this way too. Also with Peat's comment on the unique prose. "Death. Death Death!"

For me I've just finished reading The Last Wish (Witcher short story). 3/5 stars. If you're interested in reading the Witcher books, I'd say don't even bother. The show did everything in almost the exact details, but better. Aside from the good backbone of the lore and story and characters as displayed in the Witcher 3 videogames, there were quite a lot of weaknesses to this book (and the shorts were supposed to be better than the main witcher novels)

1. Rambling dialogues, rambling descriptions that served no purpose
2. Pretentious discussions about morality that made me skip big chunks of the book and almost bore me to death (Geralt would run into much less problems if he wasn't such a righteous fool 99% of the time)
3. Geralt in the book is quite a whiny and brooding and a lot of times quite a foolish main character. Also irritating goody two shoes in a world where one has to be cunning and ruthless in order to survive.

I think there's also the issue with the fact that I'm heavily comparing this book with the show, but since the show was just a 7/10 watch anyway, the fact that it greatly surpasses this book of short story is saying something. I probably won't be buying any more witcher books in the future (maybe except Sword of Destiny. Who knows)

Offline isos81

« Reply #13976 on: October 12, 2020, 09:34:36 AM »
Finished Fantastic Light by Pratchett. Will start Dune as the winner of the poll :)
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline Ned Marcus

« Reply #13977 on: October 12, 2020, 10:59:57 AM »
Finished Fantastic Light by Pratchett. Will start Dune as the winner of the poll :)

A very different read.

Offline isos81

« Reply #13978 on: October 12, 2020, 01:00:59 PM »

A very different read.

It is. Discworld is our read-along book in Turkey. I switched to sci-fi for the rest of the year, and Dune was the winner of the "which book" poll :)
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline Neveesandeh

« Reply #13979 on: October 12, 2020, 02:05:19 PM »
I've started rereading 'The Lord of the Rings' I'm getting to about a third of the way through. It's held up much better than I had expected, but it's very much a book you have to meet on its own terms.