October 20, 2020, 01:26:44 AM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 2084239 times)

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • Purple Dove House
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #13935 on: September 23, 2020, 06:48:18 AM »
Finished Moon over Soho and started Whispers Under Ground. :)
Sounds like you’re enjoying @xiagan I’d be interested to hear your thoughts on The October Man novella when you get to it.

Online Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Kingkiller
  • Bookworm first, human second.
« Reply #13936 on: September 23, 2020, 04:11:55 PM »
Just about finished with my 100th book of the year, which is Drew Williams' The Firmament of Flame. A brilliant conclusion to a very fun space opera trilogy.

Next up I'll be heading into David Wragg's The Black Hawks, which looks to be a Kings of the Wyld style adventure.
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #13937 on: September 23, 2020, 08:16:46 PM »
Sounds like you’re enjoying @xiagan I’d be interested to hear your thoughts on The October Man novella when you get to it.
Is that the one taking place in Germany?
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Bender

« Reply #13938 on: September 23, 2020, 09:18:31 PM »
I'm at the down cycle now. Tried a couple of new books, but nothing interests me.

Fingers crossed, something will interest me.
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #13939 on: September 23, 2020, 11:03:11 PM »
Is that the one taking place in Germany?
It is indeed.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #13940 on: September 24, 2020, 12:02:58 PM »
Just been finishing off Grant Morrisons's The Invisibles book 1 and 2, and Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City.

The Traitor God & God of Broken Things

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #13941 on: September 24, 2020, 01:00:57 PM »
Finished Prince of Dogs (Crown of Stars #2) by Kate Elliott. (605 pages, and not quite long enough to make my top 5.) Good stuff.

Back to Agatha Christie after a long break, with Postern of Fate, the last new book she wrote (the last two were written earlier and held back). My expectations are quite low, given that her powers were fading, but I've got to complete the set.

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #13942 on: September 25, 2020, 12:56:37 AM »
Finished Drowned Country (also a delight) and am now lovingly caressing Harrow the Ninth and whispering salacious things to it; I am so excited about this book.

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #13943 on: September 25, 2020, 08:40:51 AM »
Just been finishing off Grant Morrisons's The Invisibles book 1 and 2, and Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City.

What do you think about the ending, let us know in this post. http://fantasy-faction.com/forum/fantasy-book-discussion/sixteen-ways-to-defend-a-city-ending-poll-(spoilers)/  ;D

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #13944 on: September 28, 2020, 05:30:12 AM »
I've recently finished Wrath of Empire (Gods of Blood and Powder #2). It's as great as always. Now, in addition to liking Michel, I've also kind of grown to like Ji-Orz the dragonman. I hope that he'll finally join up with Styke's team in book 3 and wreak some havoc together, hahah. (They should make a pretty nice team)

Onwards to the last book of the series, Blood of Empire.

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #13945 on: September 30, 2020, 05:22:27 AM »
Finished Harrow the Ninth. OH MY GOSH what a twisty, confusing, whirligig ride. I think Muir is a great writer, regardless that I am smackbang in her target zone of fluent in both gothic worldbuilding and internet slang.

I need something wildly different to read if I'm going to have any hope of not bouncing straight off because I'm still buzzing, so I'm going to try Dhonielle Clayton's YA fantasy The Belles.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #13946 on: September 30, 2020, 10:04:39 AM »
Oh these big books keep me away from this thread ;D
I've finally finished the 1300 pages of Dust of Dreams, Malazan book 9 - amazing as usual.

Before tackling the final one in the series I'm going to take a small break and read non-fantasy to clear my mind: I'll start Bernardine Evaristo Girl, woman, other.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 10:27:59 PM by ScarletBea »
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Rostum

• Strange Turnip Person and He Who Waits
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #13947 on: September 30, 2020, 08:12:07 PM »
Finished The trouble with peace. Grim dark, subtle and beautifully written. It was a joy from cover to cover.

Offline Bender

« Reply #13948 on: September 30, 2020, 10:09:59 PM »
Battleground (Dresden Files)

Don't want to spoil for those yet to read. If you liked Peace Talks you'll like this too. Else, you won't.
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #13949 on: October 01, 2020, 01:33:24 PM »
Finished what was hopefully the last disappointing late Agatha Christie, Postern of Fate, and have started The Sad Tale of the Brothers Grossbart by Jesse Bullington as part of my ongoing - and slightly neglected - quest to read every Morningstar award nominee. It's a historical fantasy about two villainous brothers. Not sure I like it much so far, but I've barely started. I think it is intended to be darkly comical, but I'm finding it more dark than comical.