September 27, 2020, 12:26:42 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 2072890 times)

Offline eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #13815 on: August 10, 2020, 12:56:30 PM »
I just finished Name of the Wind... terribly disappointed.

Why?

The slow regard of silent things after reading that I wouldn’t bother with anything else his done. It’s in my top 10 of awfulness. Which is surprising as I did enjoy the two main novels. It’s taken too long now for book 3 I’ve found new authors since. I don’t think I go back now.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 01:00:00 PM by eclipse »
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #13816 on: August 10, 2020, 01:30:52 PM »

Why?

The slow regard of silent things after reading that I wouldn’t bother with anything else his done. It’s in my top 10 of awfulness. Which is surprising as I did enjoy the two main novels. It’s taken too long now for book 3 I’ve found new authors since. I don’t think I go back now.
I never read this one - it's too expensive for such a short book, but I'd like to give a try from the library once, when I'm in the mood for ethereal thoughtful prose, I guess
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #13817 on: August 10, 2020, 01:49:46 PM »
I am reading The Poppy War by R F Kuang. I'm enjoying it. It's not really what I expected. It has a much more modern style and tone than I thought it was going to have, but I don't really know why I thought that. I guess I subconsciously expected it to be about the Opium Wars and written like a 19th Century novel. (I guess it kind of is infuenced by that history, but the tone is fully modern.)

Offline DCuervonegro

« Reply #13818 on: August 10, 2020, 11:36:31 PM »

Why?

Well, to me it seemed like it has no structure, no arc, no themes... it's a non-event book, a slice-of-life so to speak, which is certainly fine. Not all books need to handle complex themes or be event-based. The Witcher has a couple of books that are slice-of-life adventures of the protagonists and they're fine books. But NOTW is just full of self indulgency and events that seem important only to the protagonist but aren't relevant to the greater story he's supposed to be telling. The main protagonist was annoying and the way he tells his own story is so centred on him there's too little characterisation of anyone else. The world-building is also terribly superficial and the setting ends up feeling empty and small. Also, female characters serve purposes but seem to have no soul, especially the love interest.

Honestly, I read the book with great interest, given the wonderful reviews and being considered one of the top fantasy books out there. ...I can't fathom why. By the end I was just amazed. Amazed at the terrible non-ending I got. I felt like the book was too long for the message it carries and the characters it speaks of. The only relevant thing to the general arc, the Chandrian, were wonderfully characterised, and in so few words. I was excited about it and how this uber-mensch would handle them. But all we got was melodrama and poor excuses for not telling the story right. Kvothe should have focused on telling a good story, a relevant story, rather than telling us how awesome he is at most everything. The one he tells was so bland and weak by the end I was loathing him, especially in the interludes. And the ending... when Bast is threatening the chronicler, I was just put off by it. I can't see why anybody would like it, which does not mean it does not deserve the love it has or that those who do are any less.

Good for Pat and good for any who loves the books. Certainly being where it is is not a fluke of nature. And I congratulate him on his oeuvre and the merits of his work.

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #13819 on: August 11, 2020, 04:26:44 AM »

Why?

Well, to me it seemed like it has no structure, no arc, no themes... it's a non-event book, a slice-of-life so to speak, which is certainly fine. Not all books need to handle complex themes or be event-based. The Witcher has a couple of books that are slice-of-life adventures of the protagonists and they're fine books. But NOTW is just full of self indulgency and events that seem important only to the protagonist but aren't relevant to the greater story he's supposed to be telling. The main protagonist was annoying and the way he tells his own story is so centred on him there's too little characterisation of anyone else. The world-building is also terribly superficial and the setting ends up feeling empty and small. Also, female characters serve purposes but seem to have no soul, especially the love interest.

Honestly, I read the book with great interest, given the wonderful reviews and being considered one of the top fantasy books out there. ...I can't fathom why. By the end I was just amazed. Amazed at the terrible non-ending I got. I felt like the book was too long for the message it carries and the characters it speaks of. The only relevant thing to the general arc, the Chandrian, were wonderfully characterised, and in so few words. I was excited about it and how this uber-mensch would handle them. But all we got was melodrama and poor excuses for not telling the story right. Kvothe should have focused on telling a good story, a relevant story, rather than telling us how awesome he is at most everything. The one he tells was so bland and weak by the end I was loathing him, especially in the interludes. And the ending... when Bast is threatening the chronicler, I was just put off by it. I can't see why anybody would like it, which does not mean it does not deserve the love it has or that those who do are any less.

Good for Pat and good for any who loves the books. Certainly being where it is is not a fluke of nature. And I congratulate him on his oeuvre and the merits of his work.

I thoroughly agree on all of this! I thought it was nicely written, lovely at a prose level, but ultimately didn't give me any story satisfaction and there were a number of niggly issues - with women and shallowness of surrounding, as noted. I didn't hate it, I just didn't love it as so many people seem to!

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #13820 on: August 11, 2020, 04:45:13 AM »

Why?

I never read this one - it's too expensive for such a short book, but I'd like to give a try from the library once, when I'm in the mood for ethereal thoughtful prose, I guess

I've never read this one too. I've heard that a lot of people who liked the two novels won't like this novella, and that it had a really weird/ ethereal prose style (considering it came from Auri's POV I guess that made sense). The book seemed pretty expensive too.

Offline isos81

« Reply #13821 on: August 11, 2020, 05:15:55 AM »
Finished Children of Time, a very nice read. Started (finally) Dancer's Lament, Path to Ascendancy #1
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline Bender

« Reply #13822 on: August 14, 2020, 02:57:41 PM »
Ethereal Earth Trilogy by Josh Erikson
#1 - Hero Forged - 8/10
#2 - Fate Leashed - 7/10
#3 - Blight Marked - 6/10

A urban fantasy with a fresh take on the genre. Book 1 set the world and was novel, interesting and entertaining. Unfortunately books 2 and 3 just regurgitate the dynamics of book 1 without actually building on characters or theme. Kinda felt repetitive. Still a fun trilogy to read, but it could have been so much better.
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline Bender

« Reply #13823 on: August 14, 2020, 03:06:58 PM »
Started (finally) Dancer's Lament, Path to Ascendancy #1

Yay. Back to Malazan.
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #13824 on: August 15, 2020, 03:19:03 AM »

Why?

I thoroughly agree on all of this! I thought it was nicely written, lovely at a prose level, but ultimately didn't give me any story satisfaction and there were a number of niggly issues - with women and shallowness of surrounding, as noted. I didn't hate it, I just didn't love it as so many people seem to!
I was quite underwhelmed when I read it, too. For a long time I thought it was just me, because everyone else I saw who had read it fell over themselves to praise it. I also don’t get the fuss around Sanderson and Lawrence, because I haven’t really clicked with their work, either.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #13825 on: August 15, 2020, 05:20:22 PM »
I finished The Poppy War by RF Kuang. I didn't like the second half as much as the first, and am not much inclined to carry on with the series.

Started Exile by Glynn Stewart next, self-published SF. It seems quite generic, and not that well written, but the pages are turning pretty easily.

Offline Bender

« Reply #13826 on: August 15, 2020, 08:03:06 PM »
Not disagreeing with the comments, but the prose just pulled me in for Kingkiller. It was only post finish that I had second thoughts, but somehow I keep going back to read it again.

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #13827 on: August 16, 2020, 04:20:52 AM »
I'm finished with the three fad YA novels by Sarah J. Mass I've been reading. They are unexpectedly pretty good (if you liked YA romance, that is).

Starting Red Sister. Let's hope that I'll actually finish the book this time around, hahah.  ;D

Online Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Auror
  • Bookworm first, human second.
« Reply #13828 on: August 16, 2020, 01:56:39 PM »
I've started Peter Newman's The Ruthless. Only a few chapters in, but i'm slowly remembering most of what happened in the first book. Good stuff so far.
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Offline Bender

« Reply #13829 on: August 17, 2020, 03:13:01 PM »

Picked a semi finalist from this SPFBPO, Dragon's Banker by Scott Warren. Looks to be a fun read like Orconomics....fingers crossed.