October 31, 2020, 03:37:05 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 2090023 times)

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #13755 on: July 13, 2020, 09:29:41 PM »
Now for something very different, Marie Brennan's Turning darkness into light.

Good one. :)

I just finished Darkdawn, the last book in the Nevernight series. It's good but I think I liked Godsgrave more. Imagine, liking the middle book in a trilogy the most.  ;)

Not sure what I'll read now. Maybe Shorefall.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Online Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Kingkiller
  • Bookworm first, human second.
« Reply #13756 on: July 13, 2020, 09:32:37 PM »
Quote from: xiagan link=topic=104.msg206899#msg206899

I just finished [b
Darkdawn[/b], the last book in the Nevernight series. It's good but I think I liked Godsgrave more. Imagine, liking the middle book in a trilogy the most.  ;)

I have that with almost every trilogy I've read.
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Offline Bender

« Reply #13757 on: July 13, 2020, 09:38:00 PM »

I just finished Darkdawn, the last book in the Nevernight series. It's good but I think I liked Godsgrave more. Imagine, liking the middle book in a trilogy the most.  ;)

Is Book 2 better than Book 1?
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline Bender

« Reply #13758 on: July 14, 2020, 02:07:18 AM »
Yay, Peace Talks! Diving right into it now.  Everything else can wait....
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #13759 on: July 14, 2020, 05:45:44 AM »

Is Book 2 better than Book 1?

Uhmm, they're different per se. Book 1 is kinda assassin school-esque while book 2 is completely spartacus gladiator-esque. They're drastically different from one another. I guess in the entire trilogy is liked book 1 the best. (But the others are amazing too)

Yay, Peace Talks! Diving right into it now.  Everything else can wait....

Oh wow, it's out?! Do let me know how it goes ASAP, hahah.  :D

Offline isos81

« Reply #13760 on: July 14, 2020, 07:09:10 AM »
Finished Wrath of Gods (Paternus #2) and started War of Gods (Paternus #3)
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #13761 on: July 14, 2020, 01:42:50 PM »
I finished King's Dragon (Crown of Stars #1) by Kate Elliott, which I really liked. There are 7 or 8 in the series, I believe. It's kind of nice to be on the start of a long haul like that, I'd better put the second book on my wishlist.

Next, my regular Agatha Christie break, to read Elephants Can Remember, a very short (and apparently not very good) Poirot. I'm hoping it won't hold me up long.

Then I'm planning to read the first Paternus book by Dyrk Ashton, which is one of the Prime Reading loans I've got to read before my membership expires towards the end of August.

Offline Cherie

« Reply #13762 on: July 14, 2020, 03:06:15 PM »
I intend to try and finish off my reread of Skin Game then onto Peace Talks either tonight or tomorrow. Will possibly be tonight and tomorrow, as my current part time/part furlough hours mean I don't work on a Wednesday...

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #13763 on: July 15, 2020, 03:26:28 AM »
I finished King's Dragon (Crown of Stars #1) by Kate Elliott, which I really liked. There are 7 or 8 in the series, I believe. It's kind of nice to be on the start of a long haul like that, I'd better put the second book on my wishlist.

I am always delighted to see people enjoying Kate Elliott - she's a lovely lady and a talented and dedicated author, even if her work doesn't always suit my tastes.

In fact, I'm remembering reading the Crown of Stars books as they came out when I was a teenager, and I found them really heavy going, too grimdark for me, but for some reason I thought it was just a trilogy, so I was like "well, I'll just slog through to the end, might as well" so when I got to the end of book three and it was CLEARLY NOT THE END I was rather irate. :D

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #13764 on: July 15, 2020, 08:46:47 AM »
I'm reading A Court of Thorns and Roses, the fad YA novel I bought five years ago before I knew better. It's kinda like a faerie version of The Beauty and the Beast and kinda readable.

Offline Bender

« Reply #13765 on: July 15, 2020, 04:09:20 PM »
Peace Talks (Dresden Files #16)
- Jim Butcher

Overall: +7

A bit of divided opinion on this. There are things I liked and things I felt deviated from the 'feel' of earlier Dresden books. But still a satisfying read. I feel the books could have been 50% shorter without having impact on plot, but looks like I can finalize my opinion after BattleGround, which I can't wait for. Faster JB!

Writing/Plot/Pace: +7

The books pick up smoothly couple of months after Skin Game. The writing is brilliant and the book is mostly self contained and can be picked up cold.

Three quarters of the book is all on setting up the finale and not much plot progression which in hindsight feels like filler segments, though they are a good read in itself. The plot events and character reactions all feel a bit forced/contrived to put Dresden alone in a corner and don't feel organic. Logic also takes a backseat as Characters don't do things or ask questions that seem obvious to the reader, just because of the need to set the space.

The tone of the book is a bit more dark and depressing as events start off from Page 1 and then the deck keeps getting stacked against Dresden at a frantic pace.

But the epic last quarter of the book makes up for all of the drawbacks and set the tone for the BattleGround, which imo is already too late. I need my fix now. :-)

Characters : +6

This is my biggest gripe in the book. Dresden goes out of his way to antagonize everyone which feels really odd. The other characters also seem to be anti-Dresden from the get go, which really isn't the dynamic left off from earlier books. Feels JB has to force the events a bit to suit the plot and I didn't like that much.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #13766 on: July 16, 2020, 03:31:34 AM »

Yay, I'm really loving this book!
An amazing main character and wow, what a way to write! Letters, diary entries, newspaper articles, and it never feels forced, boring or 'pure exposition'.
I missed Lady Trent, but her granddaughter is filling her shoes nicely :D

@Nora , @Lady Ty , have you read this?

And anyone knows if this is a standalone?
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
« Reply #13767 on: July 16, 2020, 04:23:16 AM »
No, not yet. Almost stopping TBR's @ScarletBea, can't keep up. Back into re-reads, needed to read last two Dresden's again before I start Peace Talks, when it's too long between books I have forgotten the latest plot. Must admit I do enjoy Dresden enormously and often go back for a comfort read. It is entertaining, am very fond of many characters and easy on the ear. 

Also been struggling through the last two Michael J Sullivan's Legends of the First Empire. These six books are an ultimate epic and fabulous background to all Riyria. MJS is meticulous in his world building and detail and cannot be faulted for getting his books out in good time, because he writes a whole series in advance, then just spends a year editing and tweaking so we are not left waiting. Also takes great trouble to interact with fans and answer questions promptly and kindly. One of my favourite authors for many reasons, not least of course, Hadrian and Royce. Many little easter eggs for fans in First Empire books, but there are so many characters, although certainly excellent and well developed ones you enjoy or dislike intensely, plus story spread through so many ages that it is a bit of a struggle for me.

Also have Gideon the Ninth by Tamsin Muir on the go for light listening, making me laugh out loud so often, just what I need while forever stuck at home, and I adore Gideon's gloriously Bad Attitude in a far fetched crazy world of necromancers.

“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #13768 on: July 16, 2020, 05:06:11 AM »
Oh thanks @Bender that sounds kind of like on the same level as the later Dresden (Ghost Stories, Cold Days and whatnot) then. I guess I'll keep it for later.

Offline Bender

« Reply #13769 on: July 16, 2020, 11:47:29 AM »
Oh thanks @Bender that sounds kind of like on the same level as the later Dresden (Ghost Stories, Cold Days and whatnot) then. I guess I'll keep it for later.

It depends on Battle Ground which is out in September....and I think will be a epic. The final quarter of the book takes a new turn which is unexpected.