September 27, 2020, 02:17:08 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 2072922 times)

Offline Bender

Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #13665 on: June 13, 2020, 06:14:24 AM »
Reading Cold Days and I have to say it's a pretty weak book in the series, so far. The last time I felt a Dresnden Files book sucked this much was back when I was reading Storm Front and Fool Moon, the first two books. Planning to give this one a 3.5 stars if the quality remained at this level.

What's wrong with Cold Days?
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #13666 on: June 13, 2020, 08:05:24 AM »
Reading Cold Days and I have to say it's a pretty weak book in the series, so far. The last time I felt a Dresnden Files book sucked this much was back when I was reading Storm Front and Fool Moon, the first two books. Planning to give this one a 3.5 stars if the quality remained at this level.

What's wrong with Cold Days?

I'm more than half way in and Harry was mostly incompetent throughout the book. He got defeated by tiny fairies (twice) despite the fact that he's the bloody Winter Knight, and in probably the most shameful events possible, despite the fact he's the bloody Winter Knight. I didn't remember where did he kept his various magical gizmos (staff, blasting rods, rings, etc.), but he made no effort at all of retrieving them and was almost always useless in a fight without actually slugging the heavy mojos he's well known for. It reminds me of the early books where Harry got beaten up by random street thugs again.

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #13667 on: June 13, 2020, 09:52:47 AM »
I finished Blood of assassins, book 2 of The wounded kingdom trilogy by RJ Barker.

I think I liked it a little less than book 1, especially the first few chapters, and I'm still not sure why. Maybe because I was used to Girton as he was in book 1, and there's a 5 year gap inbetween the two that changed him, maybe because his Master isn't such a relevant character and I really liked her. I also expected certain things to happen and they didn't, but that's my fault, not the author's, hehe
Once again, I was far more heavily suspicious of certain people than the MC, and I was right ;D

It's interesting, usually first-person POV books are always super-sympathetic towards that MC, but here we see all of his faults through his actions, even though he of course thinks he's always doing the right thing. I think it's a true skill of the writer to keep the reader both in and out of the scenes.

I also noticed many practical things that escaped the editor's eyes (word duplication, wrong punctuation, some spelling), which I wasn't expecting in an Orbit book.

Anyway, still a really good book, and I started this morning with book 3, King of assassins.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Peat

« Reply #13668 on: June 13, 2020, 11:38:06 AM »
I recall being a little cool on Cold Days but mostly liking it. I think in many ways it is Harry Dresden starting all over again - he's got a lot of stuff going on in him that he doesn't know how to deal with, etc.etc.

I do agree with Bea on Blood on Assassins though, almost word for word. In many ways, the fact the author can change the character so well between books he becomes less likable is super talented, but it's maybe not the best use of it...
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #13669 on: June 15, 2020, 01:42:38 PM »
I finished Battlemage by Stephen Aryan. It was decent. I think I'd like to carry on with the series, even though this first book wraps up its story pretty well. It felt fairly traditional in the way it was told - a handful of POVs to make sure all the angles were covered - but had some interesting takes.

Now I'm going to take a quick Agatha Christie break before starting Battle Mage by Peter A Flannery.

Online ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #13670 on: June 15, 2020, 03:20:48 PM »
Anyway, still a really good book, and I started this morning with book 3, King of assassins.
I'm enjoying this more than book 2!
Especially loving Merela's backstory.

Online Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Auror
  • Bookworm first, human second.
« Reply #13671 on: June 15, 2020, 05:57:47 PM »
I finished Battlemage by Stephen Aryan. It was decent. I think I'd like to carry on with the series, even though this first book wraps up its story pretty well. It felt fairly traditional in the way it was told - a handful of POVs to make sure all the angles were covered - but had some interesting takes.

One of my favourite recent series, partly because of the standalone nature of each book. Battlmage is wwar story, Bloodmage is a crime novel, and Chaosmage veers into horror.

Meanwhile I'm getting stuck into Matthew Ward's  Legacy of Ash. Another doorstopper that should keep me going for a while.
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #13672 on: June 15, 2020, 10:09:43 PM »
Finished Turning Darkness into Light by Marie Brennan. Enjoyable in a different way than the Natural History of Dragons-books.
Next... dunno yet.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Neveesandeh

« Reply #13673 on: June 16, 2020, 10:59:59 PM »
I have an enormous TBR pile I keep on the floor of my room, and I've been meaning to re-read The Dark Tower and A Song of Ice and Fire when I'm done with that. But I'm barely making any progress because of my dissertation taking up all my time and it's really frustrating for me.

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #13674 on: June 17, 2020, 08:27:23 AM »
I've just finished Cold Days. 3.5 stars. The book's ending almost got me to throw the next Dresden Files book into a roaring fire, but after some explanation it does seemed to make some kind of sense. This book reads more like Storm Front than the later Dresden books, and that's how you should judge it, I guess. Throughout most of the book Harry wasn't really as magically competent as we've come to expected out of him, being mostly under geared and under prepared for most circumstances. He managed to get through them via sheer luck or the help of his allies, which kind of undermine the image of Darth Dresden who'd just got the infinite power of the Winter Knight somewhat. It's not great, it's not terrible, and at least it's not the worst book in the series I guess (Ghost Stories I'm looking at you). 

Offline Caith

« Reply #13675 on: June 17, 2020, 10:51:48 AM »
I'm waiting on 'Priory of the Orange Tree' (thanks to you good people for pointing me towards this one) and 'Pale Rider:the Spanish Flu of 1918', arriving in the post. I'll read whatever gets here first. They better hurry up, I've only got about twenty pages of Hearts in Atlantis left to read.  I don't want it to end. It is breath-takingly well written.  Stephen King at the top of his game.

Offline isos81

« Reply #13676 on: June 17, 2020, 11:00:18 AM »
I'm about to finish Death's Merchant. Will probably start The Black Company or Path to Ascension.
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline FitBoy01

« Reply #13677 on: June 19, 2020, 06:12:15 PM »
I just finished "The Long Walk" by Stephen King and read The Legendary Moonlight Sculptor at this site a day ago. Such an underrated Stephen King book imo, loved every bit of it.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 10:38:35 AM by FitBoy01 »
My Life My Style

Offline isos81

« Reply #13678 on: June 19, 2020, 10:22:01 PM »
I'm about to finish Death's Merchant. Will probably start The Black Company or Path to Ascension.

The Black Company it is.
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Online ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #13679 on: June 20, 2020, 09:22:00 AM »
I finished RJ Barker's book 3 (see comments on separate specific thread), and now I think I'll go back to re-reading, before buying more (or libraries re-opening, but I think shop-bought will come first).

Still not ready to return to Malazan...