September 28, 2020, 08:54:55 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 2073321 times)

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #13650 on: June 08, 2020, 06:15:06 AM »

Rules of Supervillainy (Supervillainy Saga #1)
Games of Supervillainy (Supervillainy Saga #2)
- C.T. Phipps

A outrageously silly take on the genre which is just so much fun. I can't recall when I actually had laugh out loud moments in a book before. Characters felt right out of One Punch Man.

Book about Gary who gets the super-cloak of a dead hero and decides to be a supervillain but realizes he really isn't villain material. Just a roller-coaster of silliness and fun.

8/10

Hey, I have this one in my tbr pile too. I guess I'll have to go to it since you were saying good things about the book, hahah.  ;D

Offline Bender

« Reply #13651 on: June 08, 2020, 06:46:55 AM »

Rules of Supervillainy (Supervillainy Saga #1)
Games of Supervillainy (Supervillainy Saga #2)
- C.T. Phipps

A outrageously silly take on the genre which is just so much fun. I can't recall when I actually had laugh out loud moments in a book before. Characters felt right out of One Punch Man.

Book about Gary who gets the super-cloak of a dead hero and decides to be a supervillain but realizes he really isn't villain material. Just a roller-coaster of silliness and fun.

8/10

Hey, I have this one in my tbr pile too. I guess I'll have to go to it since you were saying good things about the book, hahah.  ;D

You should. First book is good and book 2 is similar. I'm taking a break from book 3 now as it tends to be in same vein. @isos81 book 1 recommended.
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #13652 on: June 08, 2020, 01:59:43 PM »
I finished my spy book The Labyrinth Makers by Anthony Price. It was OK. I think the best one is a few books later in the series. There was a surprise cameo appearance by Lord of the Rings, though.

I decided that next up would be Battle Mage Battle! in which I read Battlemage by Stephen Aryan and Battle Mage by Peter A Flannery and decide which one I like best. I've started the former. (I'll probably read something else between the two.)

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #13653 on: June 09, 2020, 04:51:44 AM »
I finished my spy book The Labyrinth Makers by Anthony Price. It was OK. I think the best one is a few books later in the series. There was a surprise cameo appearance by Lord of the Rings, though.

I decided that next up would be Battle Mage Battle! in which I read Battlemage by Stephen Aryan and Battle Mage by Peter A Flannery and decide which one I like best. I've started the former. (I'll probably read something else between the two.)

Remind me not to name anything I will ever write in some variations of Battlemage. The name had been done to the death, it appears.  ;D

Offline Neveesandeh

« Reply #13654 on: June 09, 2020, 08:38:42 AM »

Remind me not to name anything I will ever write in some variations of Battlemage. The name had been done to the death, it appears.  ;D

I once read two books called 'Lost Gods' back to back, just because they had the same name.

Offline G_R_Matthews

« Reply #13655 on: June 09, 2020, 06:47:38 PM »
The Winter Road is excellent and hits you in the feels. I guess you would normally have a huge TBR this time of year with the SPFBO.

Stepping back this year... and I've had the Paternus 2 as an ARC!!! I've got to get back on with my own reading :)
Staff Writer and ponderer of many things @ fantasy-faction

The Stone Road (4/5* Bookwormblues.net) : myBook.to/thestoneroad
Silent City : myBook.to/silentcity

www.grmatthews.com

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #13656 on: June 09, 2020, 07:10:23 PM »
Ran through a nonfiction biography - Abraham Kuyper: Modern Calvinist, Christian Democrat by James Bratt. Needed a break for a few days.

Now back to the second novella in American Hippo.
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

For book reviews - https://acerbicwriting.com/

Online Peat

« Reply #13657 on: June 09, 2020, 09:15:06 PM »
Re-reading Mercedes Lackey's Storm Warning. Nice quick read that, most importantly, focuses on people seeking healing and putting ancient enmities aside.

Offline Bender

« Reply #13658 on: June 09, 2020, 09:42:11 PM »
Dart by Dale Renton. Advance copy. Looks to be a space adventure with a wisecracking protagonist.

God of Gnomes (God Core #1) A LitRPG which has priase from Mark Lawrence and Dyrk Ashton.
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Online Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Auror
  • Bookworm first, human second.
« Reply #13659 on: June 10, 2020, 11:54:13 AM »
Finished Priory of the Orange Tree last night. Had a rocky start but got much better in the middle. If it had been split into smaller books there were points I think I wouldn't have carried on, so I'm glad it was just the one. Loved the storytelling aspect and the West politicking, but less enthused by Tane's storyline and the worldbuilding. All that being said, I really enjoyed the vast majority of it. A solid 4/5 read.
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Offline Cherie

« Reply #13660 on: June 10, 2020, 09:04:12 PM »
I've started on Darkdawn by Jay Kristoff. I'm enjoying the ease of being able to read my hardbacks without worrying about them getting battered being carried around to and from work.

Unlike some people, I'm not put off by the footnotes. Although there has been one where the footnote was over half the page!  ;D I enjoy the acerbic and sarcastic tone of many them, so they do add to the story for me.
A month later and I'm still only 68 pages in. It's not the fault of the book, it's entirely me. My motivation and concentration levels have been pretty much non-existent. 

Online Peat

« Reply #13661 on: June 10, 2020, 11:53:47 PM »
Re-reading Mercedes Lackey's Storm Warning. Nice quick read that, most importantly, focuses on people seeking healing and putting ancient enmities aside.

I would however add that, being on an electronic copy, I spent a solid five seconds or so trying to go to the next page when I hit the end, because it so felt like there should be extra pages. Which is probably not great.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Rostum

• Strange Turnip Person and He Who Waits
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #13662 on: June 11, 2020, 07:19:47 AM »
Finished the Adversary and the quartet that make up the many coloured land. Still a great read.

DNF into the maw on kindle about 30% through. I tried.

Started Sabriel and the girl and the stars. Both of which are great so far.

Offline Bender

« Reply #13663 on: June 13, 2020, 01:52:46 AM »

God of Gnomes
- Demi Harper

Overall: +7

A LitRTS read with focus on camp development. Brilliant writing but has pacing issues. Would have been a +9 if properly paced.

Writing/Plot/Place: +6

The writing is a +9 seriously as Demi Harper has a flow with words and just weaves you in the tale. The book just flows like stream over a pebble.

What brings it down is the pace, as the initial segments is a lot of RTS camp building. In fact, it's not like reading a RTS, but like reading a tutorial to a RTS. Stuff which most gamers (who tend to read these genres most, I presume) take for granted are covered in so much detail that it drags the pace to near standstill and was so frustrating.

The battle sequences are just superb and one of the best I've read. Really gripping and takes you right into the action.

Characters: +9

The characters are superbly written. I hated Corey in the beginning for being whiny but his development is organic and realistic. What's more exception was the characters of NPC's like Gneil, Granny, Ris'Kin and others.... for those with no active roles, I really connected with them. Their happiness, tragedy, joys and sorrows were so realistically written that I was rooting for them all through. Just bloody brilliant!

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #13664 on: June 13, 2020, 05:28:35 AM »
Reading Cold Days and I have to say it's a pretty weak book in the series, so far. The last time I felt a Dresnden Files book sucked this much was back when I was reading Storm Front and Fool Moon, the first two books. Planning to give this one a 3.5 stars if the quality remained at this level.