October 27, 2020, 03:45:50 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 2088018 times)

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #13620 on: June 01, 2020, 08:18:08 AM »
Just started Priest of Bones by Peter McLean. Only a couple of pages in but writing seems a bit heavy handed till now. Fingers crossed!

I'm really interested in this ever since I heard about the Peaky Blinders being a reference for this book. Do let me know how it goes, @Bender!

Online Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Kingkiller
  • Bookworm first, human second.
« Reply #13621 on: June 01, 2020, 04:55:38 PM »
Currently getting stuck into Honor Harrington #12, but after that I'm back to fantasy. Probably make a start on Priory of the Orange Tree
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Offline doclazurus

« Reply #13622 on: June 01, 2020, 06:29:02 PM »
Currently reading " rekindled Magic" book 5 in the Thorne Witches. Next up is Mona Lisa Overdrive

Offline Peat

« Reply #13623 on: June 01, 2020, 08:32:29 PM »
Just started Priest of Bones by Peter McLean. Only a couple of pages in but writing seems a bit heavy handed till now. Fingers crossed!

Stick with it. It takes a bit to get going and be about the story, but once it does it's really good.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #13624 on: June 01, 2020, 10:04:27 PM »

As others have said, tell me how it goes. It’s probably going to be the next book I pick up.
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

For book reviews - https://acerbicwriting.com/

Offline Bender

« Reply #13625 on: June 01, 2020, 10:29:49 PM »
About 34% in. Will post a detailed review once I'm done with this. Probably in a couple of days.
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline Peat

« Reply #13626 on: June 02, 2020, 12:30:58 AM »
Finished The Goblin Emperor. It's got many charms but, if I ever gull someone into letting me teach writing, I'm going to use it as a prime example of a) How Not To Plot A Book and b) The Value of Condensing Characters. I also suspect that what I'm pointing at as bugs are deliberate choices to demonstrate the chaotic, colossal and somewhat cruel nature of the court but nevertheless, they're pretty buggy if it's not your thing/you're not completely taken in by the charms.

Offline Bender

« Reply #13627 on: June 02, 2020, 04:43:35 PM »
@Doctor_Chill @S. K. Inkslinger

Priest of Bones - Peter McLean

Summary:

A fantasy book version of the film Gangs of New York but with swords and axes and bit of magic and blasting power thrown around. Decent read.

Writing/Plot/Pace: +6

Author has a easy way of telling the story though a bit heavy handed at times. There's bit of heavy reinforcement of certain subjects like "harsh justice" or " that's how business is done in..." which feels a bit repetitive. Has some pacing issues as story moves at a even pace all through. Even those action sequences don't really got my pulse racing.

As to plot, it's a standard gangsta story. Gangsta gets drafted to a war and comes back to find his territories taken over. He takes them back. Lots of violent gang wars, a bit of vulgarity and swearing (though none graphic to become grimdark).

What it lacks is a strong antagonist character or a plot reason. The author preferred to keep this self contained so despite repetitive references to the horrible siege at Abingon we don't really get a sense of tension or gravitas in the plot. The rival gangs and even the antagonist factions are reactive in nature and they let the hero take and consolidate with only token resistance. Plot just falls into place for the hero and he gets convenient help (though this might be a trap/noose in later books, I presume) to go about his stuff.

Characters: +6

Again, nothing we've not seen. Hero is a bad guy who does good stuff. He runs drugs and prostitution, but doesn't permit rapes type of stuff. They feel like characters and I couldn't really get behind any of them. The Billy/magic angle is intriguing, but then it's just a vague side story with no fleshing out.

Overall: +6

I'm still on the fence here. I feel the next books have a scope for improvement and from reading the blurb the setting at least is new. But haven't really decided to whether to pick up or not.

"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #13628 on: June 03, 2020, 06:22:34 AM »
I'm reading Bloody Rose, and I'm at the point where (not sure if this is a spoiler or not) Tam said that Clay Cooper is the least known member of Saga. I don't really think that's true? Ganelon, who is also a member of Saga, hadn't been mentioned even once up to the pages I've read in Bloody Rose, and at least Clay have the reputation of being Gabe's best friend and his legend of carving up his Blackheart shield.

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #13629 on: June 03, 2020, 07:22:05 AM »
I'm reading Bloody Rose, and I'm at the point where (not sure if this is a spoiler or not) Tam said that Clay Cooper is the least known member of Saga. I don't really think that's true? Ganelon, who is also a member of Saga, hadn't been mentioned even once up to the pages I've read in Bloody Rose, and at least Clay have the reputation of being Gabe's best friend and his legend of carving up his Blackheart shield.
I think there were a couple of instances in Kings of the Wyld where people knew that Saga had 4 members, and they could remember 3 of their names, but not Clay. Internally he was the glue that held them together, but externally he was just ‘the other guy’ in the band.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #13630 on: June 03, 2020, 07:47:38 AM »
I'm now reading R.J. Barker's Age of assassins.
Finished this one and I'm straing into book 2, Blood of assassins.

It was really good, and I'm glad I jumped into this trilogy. Yes, I can see the similarities with Fitz, but it's also a mystery and a tale of finding your feet (pun intended!) amongst the outside world, how motherhood takes many forms, and what's defined as bad by the world has many nuances.
5/5
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #13631 on: June 03, 2020, 08:33:44 AM »
I think there were a couple of instances in Kings of the Wyld where people knew that Saga had 4 members, and they could remember 3 of their names, but not Clay. Internally he was the glue that held them together, but externally he was just ‘the other guy’ in the band.

4 members. People didn't even regard poor Ganelon as a member of Saga, hahah.  ;D I guess I kind of got it, what with Gabe being Golden Gabe, Moog being the guy who cured the rot, and Matty being the emperor of Castia/ ex king of Agria.

Offline Peat

« Reply #13632 on: June 03, 2020, 09:16:24 AM »

It was really good, and I'm glad I jumped into this trilogy. Yes, I can see the similarities with Fitz, but it's also a mystery and a tale of finding your feet (pun intended!) amongst the outside world, how motherhood takes many forms, and what's defined as bad by the world has many nuances.
5/5

That moment of exhilaration when somebody likes a book you've been plugged like mad and you can stop thinking "oh gods, what if they hated it and this is somehow my fault"  8)

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #13633 on: June 03, 2020, 11:01:47 AM »

5/5

That moment of exhilaration when somebody likes a book you've been plugged like mad and you can stop thinking "oh gods, what if they hated it and this is somehow my fault"  8)
Yes, thanks a lot!
And I went to find your review:
http://peatlong.blogspot.com/2018/08/age-of-assassins-by-rj-barker.html

I agree with everything hehe, including being ahead of the MC in terms of realising the mystery solution, although there were still enough surprises for that not to be a complete "You should have known, you moron!" ;D - and he didn't tell Merela everything he knew, so she was definitely smarted than Girton ;)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 11:03:24 AM by ScarletBea »
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Peat

« Reply #13634 on: June 03, 2020, 11:52:09 AM »

5/5

Yes, thanks a lot!
And I went to find your review:
http://peatlong.blogspot.com/2018/08/age-of-assassins-by-rj-barker.html

I agree with everything hehe, including being ahead of the MC in terms of realising the mystery solution, although there were still enough surprises for that not to be a complete "You should have known, you moron!" ;D - and he didn't tell Merela everything he knew, so she was definitely smarted than Girton ;)

Many things are smarter than Girton, bless him! I still hope he revisits the setting.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/