July 10, 2020, 07:11:39 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 2024766 times)

Offline Peat

Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #13590 on: May 20, 2020, 12:28:24 PM »
I think, from what I know, that I'll recommend it to @Lady Ty, to @Alex Hormann, @Peat, @JMack, @cupiscent ...

Good call, it was one of my favourite books of last year and I put it on my Hugo nomination ballot. :) Amusingly, my husband is also reading it right now, and he isn't really enjoying it. Then again, he isn't really an earnest-fantasy sort of guy. So I think he's finding the ways in which Priory is being mythic and sort of... that thing where a piece of media more sort of delivers a dramatic tableau than a realist action sequence? That doesn't bother me so much as long as the character and plot beats are compelling, but it drives him nuts.

And if I hadn't picked it up already, that would have sold me on the spot. The drive for the genre to be alt-history with magic drives me nuts; viva el myth!
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #13591 on: May 21, 2020, 04:49:24 AM »
And if I hadn't picked it up already, that would have sold me on the spot. The drive for the genre to be alt-history with magic drives me nuts; viva el myth!

Let me now temper your enthusiasm, @Peat ! :D It's very historical - most of the settings and some of the significant characters are recognisable analogues of real-world things (primarily relating to Elizabethan England, and China and Japan circa Opium Wars). But the style of the story is hearkening to genuine world-saving struggle-against-the-enemy sort of fantasy (and would completely unironically use words like "hearkening" as well).

Offline Peat

« Reply #13592 on: May 21, 2020, 08:52:37 AM »

Let me now temper your enthusiasm, @Peat ! :D It's very historical - most of the settings and some of the significant characters are recognisable analogues of real-world things (primarily relating to Elizabethan England, and China and Japan circa Opium Wars). But the style of the story is hearkening to genuine world-saving struggle-against-the-enemy sort of fantasy (and would completely unironically use words like "hearkening" as well).

Even better. The best fantasy lives at an apex of myth and history.

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #13593 on: May 22, 2020, 02:28:21 AM »
I think, from what I know, that I'll recommend it to @Lady Ty, to @Alex Hormann, @Peat, @JMack, @cupiscent ...

I have had it for a while on audible TBR because cupiscent gave it a rousing review on GR.  Plus couldn't resist the dragony cover art, although I must not buy more print books, so tempting. May start reading soon as you and Peat are also recommending, certainly sounds like one I will enjoy.  :)
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13594 on: May 22, 2020, 01:06:31 PM »
Started "The Secret Chapter" by G. Cogman, book six(?) of the invisible library series. This one is a heist with dragons, fae and the main protagonist Irene, a librarian. Good fun and fast action. :)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline isos81

« Reply #13595 on: May 22, 2020, 01:24:29 PM »
Can't read much nowadays and stuck at %17 in Sword of Kaigen. Not that the book is boring, probably it's me, but it still frustrates me.

What do you do when you feel down and can't read?
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline Bender

« Reply #13596 on: May 22, 2020, 02:06:03 PM »

It's the book probably. Switch to a new one and come back to this later.

I've read 7 books since I started Sixteen Ways to Defend A Walled city and keep coming back to it couple of chapters at a time. I still have to pick up Senlin Ascends the same fashion!
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline isos81

« Reply #13597 on: May 22, 2020, 02:13:02 PM »

I've read 7 books since I started Sixteen Ways to Defend A Walled city and keep coming back to it couple of chapters at a time. I still have to pick up Senlin Ascends the same fashion!

Thought that but I don't like loose ends. Still, it seems the only option :) I want to start Justan's book but the page count is scary ;D
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #13598 on: May 23, 2020, 05:26:51 AM »

Thought that but I don't like loose ends. Still, it seems the only option :) I want to start Justan's book but the page count is scary ;D

Would advise on switching books as well. I started The Copper Cat some months earlier. I've read atleast 10 (probably more) books since then and I still haven't gone back to touch it yet, hahah.  ;D

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13599 on: May 24, 2020, 09:22:36 PM »
Would advise on switching books as well. I started The Copper Cat some months earlier. I've read atleast 10 (probably more) books since then and I still haven't gone back to touch it yet, hahah.  ;D
Funny, I had exactly that book laying around half read for over a year. Once I finished it, I immediately bought the second and third volume and read them without any delays. :D

Finished the Secret Chapter which was very good. Next will be Novik's Spinning Silver.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #13600 on: May 24, 2020, 09:38:19 PM »
Finished Rebirth by Christopher Russell. Decent debut with a writing style that needs tightening. Otherwise intriguing story, though very Epic High Fantasy traditional in its execution.

Now on to American Hippo by Sarah Gailey. Color me excited!
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

For book reviews - https://acerbicwriting.com/

Offline isos81

« Reply #13601 on: May 24, 2020, 10:09:18 PM »
Dropped Sword of Kaigen. Started @Justan Henner 's Death's Merchant

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #13602 on: May 25, 2020, 06:14:49 AM »
Finished Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. I'm debating whether I should continue with Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince or go on to read Bloody Rose. I think I may need some new, refreshing story at this point, hahah.

Offline Bender

« Reply #13603 on: May 25, 2020, 12:03:22 PM »
Forging Haphaestus by Drew Hayes
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #13604 on: May 25, 2020, 12:25:22 PM »
I finished Lifelode by Jo Walton. That was weird and interesting. It's a short book, but it still took me a while to read because of the way it's put together, jumping around the timeline, changing tense, sometimes mid-sentence. It makes perfect sense given the nature of the magic and how it applies to some of the characters, but it doesn't make it a quick read. A really strange world, tiny hints that it might actually be SF rather than fantasy, a weird 4-way relationship at the heart of the extended family.

I moved on to the second System Apocalypse book, Redeemer of the Dead by Tao Wong. I knew I'd just rush through it, and I'm half way through already. It's an action-packed LitRPG and makes a good change of pace.