November 28, 2020, 02:18:45 AM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 2103447 times)

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • Purple Dove House
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #13545 on: May 06, 2020, 09:34:10 AM »
I wanted something fairly easy, so I've started Cinder by Marissa Meyer. A loose science fiction retelling of Cinderella, I didn't expect it to start with a plague killing people off!
Oh my! ;D

OMG the series is amazing! I'm so glad someone here finally got around to reading it. I started the book without much expectations, but I have to say I was really pleasantly surprised. What resembled an alternate version of a Disney princess tale on the first book quickly became a rogue adventure Avengers collection of Disney princesses in later books, and it was totally amazing. I'd heartily recommended the entire series to anyone.
I’ve read all of Marissa Meyer’s work thus far and she never disappoints. My favourite has been Heartless.

Offline isos81

« Reply #13546 on: May 06, 2020, 07:36:19 PM »
Son of a Liche about to finish. Any advice?
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #13547 on: May 07, 2020, 05:23:06 AM »
Taking a break until Assassin's Quest comes in the mail. Gonna rush through Rogue Protocol by Martha Wells.

Yeah, that? That's not happening. Got KJ Parker's Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City in the mail yesterday. Ran through half of it before midnight. It's got a nice pace, some problems, but definitely a strong book.
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

For book reviews - https://acerbicwriting.com/

Offline isos81

« Reply #13548 on: May 07, 2020, 10:57:55 AM »
Finished Son of a Liche. Started Sword of Kaigen , the winner of SFPBO 2019
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

Offline Bender

« Reply #13549 on: May 07, 2020, 03:12:56 PM »
Finished Son of a Liche.

How was it? Better or worse than Orconomics?
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline isos81

« Reply #13550 on: May 07, 2020, 06:16:15 PM »
Finished Son of a Liche.

How was it? Better or worse than Orconomics?

The first half was worse, second was better.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I very much missed the parts with Gleebek and also Niln but Niln was still somewhat present in the second book. Absence of Gleebek was thoroughly missing

I do wonder the conclusion to the series but the last book does not look to come soon.

Online Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Kingkiller
  • Bookworm first, human second.
« Reply #13551 on: May 07, 2020, 06:36:14 PM »
Finished Supernova Era which was horrific and optimistic in equal measure. Definitely up there with the best books of the year.

Next I'm rereading Dark Moon for the May book club.
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Offline michaelramm

« Reply #13552 on: May 08, 2020, 12:54:30 AM »
Currently reading:

Malice by John Gwynne (51%)
Leviathan Wakes (Expanse 1) by James SA Corey (23%)
Rage of Dragons by Evan Winter (just starting)
Currently Reading: Malice, John Gwynne; Leviathan Wakes (Expanse 1), James SA Corey; Rage of Dragons, Evan Winter
Favorite Authors: Tolkien, Sanderson, Kemp, Salvatore, Sullivan, Hearne
goodreads: michaelramm

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #13553 on: May 08, 2020, 08:26:07 AM »
Despite the massive pile of TBR at home, I've decided that I'm not comfortable with only reading my comfort reads, but only the fan fictions of those stories as well. I guess I'm just not in the mood to start new books these days.

Also resuming Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #13554 on: May 09, 2020, 12:53:52 PM »
Finished Pushing Ice by Alastair Reynolds. It was a solid example of the stuff that Reynolds is known for. I liked it. A comet mining ship gets sent to investigate a mysterious artifact on the edge of the solar system, with lots of complications, internal politics and big sci-fi stuff.

Next is Spark City by Robert J Power. This came last in the recent SPFBO final, but was still selected ahead of 29 other books by whoever it was that picked it, so I'll have to see what I make of it. I haven't read any of the reviews yet, so I don't know why people didn't like it. I have got on OK with low-scoring books from previous rounds, but this one is also pretty long, so I think I'm going to need to be prepared to bail.

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #13555 on: May 09, 2020, 04:06:36 PM »
Finished Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City by KJ Parker. Decent and solid book completely wrecked by its dumpster fire mess of an ending. Manages to throw away the entire plot and every character arc in 20 pages. I understand what the author was trying to do -- won't spoil it -- but I vehemently disagree with that content direction and its execution.

Gonna rush through Rogue Protocol to get the bad taste out of my mouth.
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

For book reviews - https://acerbicwriting.com/

Offline Rostum

• Strange Turnip Person and He Who Waits
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #13556 on: May 09, 2020, 04:26:44 PM »
You wrote it better than I could. 16 ways was fun right up to the stupid let down.

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #13557 on: May 09, 2020, 04:58:56 PM »
Finished Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City by KJ Parker. Decent and solid book completely wrecked by its dumpster fire mess of an ending. Manages to throw away the entire plot and every character arc in 20 pages. I understand what the author was trying to do -- won't spoil it -- but I vehemently disagree with that content direction and its execution.

Gonna rush through Rogue Protocol to get the bad taste out of my mouth.

Rogue protocol, yes!!!
Murderbot is my favorite series right now.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Rayne

« Reply #13558 on: May 09, 2020, 11:30:58 PM »
I am reading ‘A Little Hatred’ by Joe Abercrombie. I haven’t been reading much lately so this is my first book in a while. It was a gift and I’m now about a third of the way in. I’ve read the ‘Shattered Sea’ series by the same author which I was impressed by so I’m looking forward to finishing this book.

Offline The Sword in the Tome

« Reply #13559 on: May 10, 2020, 12:05:40 AM »
Finished Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City by KJ Parker. Decent and solid book completely wrecked by its dumpster fire mess of an ending.
I felt the same way about Parker's The Folding Knife
My YouTube fantasy book review channel: The Sword in the Tome