April 10, 2020, 04:12:57 AM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1934555 times)

Offline Hedin

Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #13290 on: February 14, 2020, 02:49:14 PM »
Finished Holy Sister.  I liked it but I think I was left wanting a bit more with it. 

Not sure what I'm going to next.  Have several library holds so will just see which pops first.

Offline Cherie

« Reply #13291 on: February 14, 2020, 09:04:45 PM »
I'm about halfway through Alone In The Wild by Kelley Armstrong.

Armstrong may be better known for her UF Women of the Otherworld series, but her thrillers still have the same feel for me, so are auto-buys for me.

I have some very fond memories and friends from her old forum, and I still wonder what happened to some of the members I didn't manage to keep in touch with.

Offline Bender

« Reply #13292 on: February 17, 2020, 10:15:54 PM »
10% through Legend of the Black Sword Bolan's Quest #1 by @paul1975
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline isos81

« Reply #13293 on: February 18, 2020, 06:51:13 AM »
Finished City of Blades. Going back to Empire of Chains.
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline isos81

« Reply #13294 on: February 20, 2020, 11:14:45 AM »
Finished Empire of Chains, started City of Miracles
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13295 on: February 20, 2020, 08:17:42 PM »
Finished The Girl in the Tower, the follow up to the Bear and the Nightingale. I enjoyed it as much if not more as the first book. It has a faster pace and more action. Will start The Winter of the Witch tomorrow.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Rostum

« Reply #13296 on: February 21, 2020, 07:03:58 AM »
False Value arrived I may not be on for a while
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 07:47:27 PM by Rostum »

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #13297 on: February 21, 2020, 01:14:34 PM »
I finished Beggar's Rebellion by Levi Jacobs, another finalist from SPFBO5. It was good. I really liked the first half, and mostly liked the second half. The second half suffered from some continuity errors - I think two of the minor characters were consolidated into one at some point, and there's a bit that's quite badly confused because of that, although it's minor in the grand scheme of things - and some power-scaling issues, and a bit of repetition,  but overall it's a nice idea and the writing's solid. I think I still prefer Sword of Kaigen of this year's finalists, but this is another very decent book.

I've moved on to an Agatha Christie next, and then I think I might try to read Spinning Silver by Naomi Novik. I've bought 5 books so far this year, and haven't started a single one of them, so that needs to be addressed.

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #13298 on: February 22, 2020, 06:33:47 AM »
I've finished the second book of the Ketty Jay series, The Black Lung Captian. 4.5 stars. It's even better than the first book, and I am definitely anticipating on how good the third one is going to be.  ;D

I'm also starting Renegades, a YA series about superheroes.

Offline isos81

« Reply #13299 on: February 22, 2020, 09:10:56 AM »
I'm seriously thinking about reading Powder Mage trilogy (one reason is it was translated into Turkish). Do you think I'll like it?

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #13300 on: February 22, 2020, 09:15:01 AM »
I'm seriously thinking about reading Powder Mage trilogy (one reason is it was translated into Turkish). Do you think I'll like it?

It’s for people who like Sanderson in my opinion 😛 I think the author was a Sanderson student. If you got a blurb with a Sanderson quote on your book I will run a mile from that book 😛

I’ve got no interest in the following authors one Sanderson is enough   ;)

https://faq.brandonsanderson.com/knowledge-base/have-any-of-your-students-gone-on-to-publish-books/
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 09:32:34 AM by Eclipse »
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline isos81

« Reply #13301 on: February 22, 2020, 09:56:13 AM »

It’s for people who like Sanderson in my opinion 😛 I think the author was a Sanderson student. If you got a blurb with a Sanderson quote on your book I will run a mile from that book 😛

I’ve got no interest in the following authors one Sanderson is enough   ;)

https://faq.brandonsanderson.com/knowledge-base/have-any-of-your-students-gone-on-to-publish-books/

I enjoyed Sanderson but not a fan. You made me confused :(

What high fantasy - epic series would you suggest then?

Offline Eclipse

• Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #13302 on: February 22, 2020, 10:05:54 AM »
Sorry didn't mean to make you confused just ignore me, go for the powder mage.

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Offline isos81

« Reply #13303 on: February 22, 2020, 10:07:24 AM »

Nah, apology not accepted, you have to suggest me a high fantasy epic series right now ;D

Offline Eclipse

• Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #13304 on: February 22, 2020, 10:40:00 AM »
Death's Merchant (Common Among Gods #1) by Justan Henner read it!

Nah, apology not accepted, you have to suggest me a high fantasy epic series right now ;D

Death's Merchant (Common Among Gods #1) by Justan Henner

This book is amazing don't be put off by the page numbers the story does indeed need it. This novel for me is on par with Malazan with all the intrigue and politics going on between different groups of people and the history of the Gods and their aspects are fascinating.

I loved all the characters with all their own unique personalities one of my favourites is the mysterious Not Lu I just loved reading about him.

From what I've read so far off his work Justan Henner is a most talented writer and I will be looking forward to his next book.

Only one minor thing that annoyed me with the book is that there needs to be more variety in swear words felt like every character that swore only know the word butcherin.

on par with Malazan? That's a Must Immeadiately Read Book :)

Wow, wow. Hold on. Malazan is the peak of fantasy for me and any comparison to that better be good. You have me hooked by that comparison and now I have to see for myself.

@isos81 and @Bender I can second Eclipse on his review stating it's on par with Malazan. Several people have mentioned it in reviews of the book.

I think the comparisons between Death's Merchant and Malazan come from a few things. First, it's a huge book -- like 1300 pages. It's a big story told from 10 or 15 points of view (and has probably 25 important characters). Like Erikson, Justan uses the very personal stories of the characters (many of which don't know they're pawns in a war between gods) to tell the big overall story.

The other thing is that it's a dark story (fight over the ascension of a god of Death), but told in a lighthearted way (think Tehol, Bugg, Krupp, etc.).

Where Justan differs a bit from Malazan is that Death's Merchant isn't grim. Most of the characters are optimistic and the world isn't just a set of obstacles to overcome.

@Eclipse you must have missed all of the swearing like, "for Order's sake", "blooding fool", "filthy blooder", "butcherspawn", and "whorespawn". And those are just the curses I could think of off the top of my head. :)