September 26, 2020, 01:25:04 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 2072646 times)

Offline Bender

Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #13065 on: December 10, 2019, 03:01:38 PM »
Finished Gideon The Ninth by Tamsyn Muir. Liked it. As @Lanko says it has all the characteristics to be a disaster but the author carefully straddles a fine line making it a fun read.

Here's my review on Goodreads:

The blurb on lesbian necromancers in space though eye catching is frankly misleading.

- A big chunk of novel's cast are women who are attracted to other women. There is a slight undercurrent of sexual tension running though most of novel, but no explicit scenes to cater to baser desires. Tastefully done!
- The space elements are frankly non-existent apart from few mentions about the setting and completely not relevant to this book. We get a few mention of planets, space shuttle etc but that's it.

The planetary setting hinted in first few pages sets the background and we get introduced into the Ninth House dynamics mostly Harrow and Gideon. They are then transported to a spooky castle to clear certain tests and become a powerful Lyctor and novel becomes a whodunnit alternating between finding a killer in there and completing the tasks. The balance is artfully done and the book consistently maintains a spooky mystery vibe all through that keeps readers attention unflaggingly.

The ending morphs into smashing fantasy climax, poetic albeit a bit predictable. But despite your own guesswork you are engrossed enough to make this a page turner.

Have 2 big gripes on the novel:
1) Use of current earth modern slangs. It's just jarring and an attribute I particularly hate in a fantasy setting novel.
2) Restricted world building to the immediate plot. We get hints of world at large, but it's not developed at all which takes away a lot of shine.

Good book and recommended.

"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline Bender

« Reply #13066 on: December 10, 2019, 06:26:03 PM »
After some research, have decided to start Eli Monpress books.

Senlin gets some more time before he resumes his ascent.
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline Nighteyes

• Juicy dwarf/orc erotica to go.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
« Reply #13067 on: December 10, 2019, 07:13:46 PM »
If on a winter's night a traveler - Italo Calvino

Blood of Elves - Andrzej Sapkowski
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #13068 on: December 10, 2019, 08:39:19 PM »
After some research, have decided to start Eli Monpress books.

Senlin gets some more time before he resumes his ascent.
The Eli's are a bit of fun. They get progressively darker and more epic as they go.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #13069 on: December 11, 2019, 02:40:13 AM »
So I dropped it and picked up Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo

...Second chapter is about a 17 year old gangster boss (though not his POV) massively outplaying adult crime bosses so effortlessly like he's the 40+ year old full of life experience and them the 17 year olds.

yyyyyeah, this was a big problem I had with this book. An amazing heist is always fun, but when your tippy-top team of hard-arse professionals have an average age of 17.5... it stretches credulity WAY too far.

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #13070 on: December 11, 2019, 02:45:46 AM »
So I dropped it and picked up Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo

...Second chapter is about a 17 year old gangster boss (though not his POV) massively outplaying adult crime bosses so effortlessly like he's the 40+ year old full of life experience and them the 17 year olds.

yyyyyeah, this was a big problem I had with this book. An amazing heist is always fun, but when your tippy-top team of hard-arse professionals have an average age of 17.5... it stretches credulity WAY too far.

+1 on this. It's pretty much why even when I quite enjoyed Six of Crows I still gave it only 3.5 stars. The next book continued to improve on the series, though, so be sure to follow up on it.  8)

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #13071 on: December 11, 2019, 02:49:57 AM »
+1 on this. It's pretty much why even when I quite enjoyed Six of Crows I still gave it only 3.5 stars. The next book continued to improve on the series, though, so be sure to follow up on it.  8)

Unfortunately, I also had a MAJOR issue with the big finale twist and how it completely removed one character's agency for the other to have to stage a rescue. Big, big NOPE from me on reading any more! (I appreciate that there might be ameliorating factors, devils in the details, ways in which the next book saves the situations... but I have too many other books waiting to go back to that well.)

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #13072 on: December 11, 2019, 09:00:39 AM »

Unfortunately, I also had a MAJOR issue with the big finale twist and how it completely removed one character's agency for the other to have to stage a rescue. Big, big NOPE from me on reading any more! (I appreciate that there might be ameliorating factors, devils in the details, ways in which the next book saves the situations... but I have too many other books waiting to go back to that well.)

Well, maybe that's for the best too. Despite being better in quality overall, near the end of Crooked Kingdom, I was really put out by how one of the character's fate turned out, and had stopped reading the series entirely after that. There was the new King of Scars series from the same author, and when I saw that I gave a hard pass.

Offline The Sword in the Tome

« Reply #13073 on: December 11, 2019, 03:26:52 PM »
So I dropped it and picked up Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo, which has been in my TBR forever and a friend reminded me of it. I heard it has heists, a gang, bloody violence... seems like a very favorite book around, with multiple POVs.

And the cover is cool too.

First chapter is mostly teen boy angst, worrying about his moustache not growing and in love with a teen girl he barely sees and thinking mostly how to get her attention.
Second chapter is about a 17 year old gangster boss (though not his POV) massively outplaying adult crime bosses so effortlessly like he's the 40+ year old full of life experience and them the 17 year olds.

Oof.
Hmm... Sounds like I might not be the target audience for that.  Good to know.
My YouTube fantasy book review channel: The Sword in the Tome

Offline isos81

« Reply #13074 on: December 12, 2019, 10:55:30 AM »
Finished City of Stairs. Started The Blood Mirror (Lightbringer #4)
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #13075 on: December 12, 2019, 11:19:19 AM »
I started City of blades, book 2 in Robert Jackson Bennett's trilogy.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Rostum

• Strange Turnip Person and He Who Waits
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #13076 on: December 12, 2019, 12:53:19 PM »
Started Blackguards anthology, underwhelmed so far.

Offline The Sword in the Tome

« Reply #13077 on: December 12, 2019, 07:09:36 PM »
Finally finished Dragons of Autumn Twighlight.  I'm pleased to report that the first book of the Dragonlance trilogy holds up just fine after all these years.   :)  (4/5)

Tonight I'll start The Winter Road by Adrian Selby.
My YouTube fantasy book review channel: The Sword in the Tome

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #13078 on: December 12, 2019, 08:26:03 PM »

Fantastic sequel. The POV character felt much better (not that the previous was bad, but Mulagesh is better).
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Offline isos81

« Reply #13079 on: December 13, 2019, 06:29:31 AM »

Fantastic sequel. The POV character felt much better (not that the previous was bad, but Mulagesh is better).

Are the books interconnected? The first book had some unfinished business :)
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'