August 10, 2020, 09:28:50 AM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 2048340 times)

Offline Bender

Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #12975 on: November 22, 2019, 10:00:25 PM »
Was impressed with Arcane Ascension, so went ahead and read the other books in the universe.

The War of Broken Mirrors
#1 - Forging Divinity
#2 - Stealing Sorcery
#3 - Defying Destiny

#1 shows that it's early version of author with characters not etched well and the realism in their action somewhat lacking, but steadily improves in Book 2 leading to a very good Book 3.

Despite the hurdles in writing, Andrew Rowe knows how to tell a good story. The world is nice, there's lots of action and enough of mystery to keep you engrossed in the plot.

It's bit of light read but immensely satisfying.

7/10 for the trilogy.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 12:14:06 PM by Bender »
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline Bender

« Reply #12976 on: November 22, 2019, 10:02:03 PM »
Now starting Senlin Ascends by Josiah Bancroft.

A that good review by Mark Lawrence deserve a shot.
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12977 on: November 23, 2019, 09:47:44 AM »
Now starting Senlin Ascends by Josiah Bancroft.

A that good review by Mark Lawrence deserve a shot.
This is another contentious book around here, I'll look forward to get your opinion.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Rostum

« Reply #12978 on: November 23, 2019, 10:36:49 PM »
Finished Halting State some may call it Sci-Fi but I feel it sits very firmly between an augumented reality and fantasy. A really good light read and a genuinely fun book. A big plus for me is it is set in Edinburgh and largly around the grassmarket which I knew well prior to it burning down.

Started rule 34 also by Charlie Stross
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 10:40:50 PM by Rostum »

Offline The Sword in the Tome

« Reply #12979 on: November 24, 2019, 01:14:24 AM »
Finished The Once And Future King and wow... It's incredible.  I'll never forget it. (5/5)

Moving on to The Saphire Rose to finish The Elenium.

My YouTube fantasy book review channel: The Sword in the Tome

Offline eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #12980 on: November 24, 2019, 01:50:05 PM »
I read Timothy Zahn The Thrawn trilogy years ago and enjoyed them much better than all the other star wars novels out at the same time. I'm not really into star wars anymore but I thought I give his new Thrawn trilogy a go from 2017.
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12981 on: November 24, 2019, 02:08:07 PM »
I'm now reading Pratchett's Interesting Times - I feel it will be quite appropriate for the current climate, hehe
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Bender

« Reply #12982 on: November 24, 2019, 03:11:14 PM »
I read Timothy Zahn The Thrawn trilogy years ago and enjoyed them much better than all the other star wars novels out at the same time. I'm not really into star wars anymore but I thought I give his new Thrawn trilogy a go from 2017.

Have you started watching The Mandalorian in new Disney+? Quite nice.

Offline Yora

« Reply #12983 on: November 24, 2019, 03:55:27 PM »
I read the Thrawn books again two years ago, and I thought they still hold up pretty well. Not the impressive masterworks they were when I was 14, but good light entertainment.
We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on a big tower of other dwarves.

Beneath the Leaves of Kaendor

Offline Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Auror
  • Bookworm first, human second.
« Reply #12984 on: November 24, 2019, 06:43:52 PM »
Halfway through A Little Hatred. A pretty slow book compared to Abercrombie's works, but I'm loving it. I'd forgotten just how good he is at dialogue, and it's genuinely making me laugh.
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #12985 on: November 24, 2019, 08:58:42 PM »
Started Morgenstern's Starless Sea. Intriguing and well written so far. :)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Online S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #12986 on: November 25, 2019, 04:50:36 AM »
I finished Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. I'll have to say though, that I prefer certain changes in the movie to the ones originally in the book.

I'm starting Aurora Rising by Amie Kauffman and Jay Kristoff (author of Nevernight Chronicles) and I have to say, my interest is piqued immensely. As the blurb itself stated, "Star pupil Tyler Jones is ready to recruit the squad of his dreams, but his own boneheaded heroism sees him stuck with the dregs nobody else in the Academy would touch…

A cocky diplomat with a black belt in sarcasm
A sociopath scientist with a fondness for shooting her bunkmates
A smart-ass techwiz with the galaxy’s biggest chip on his shoulder
An alien warrior with anger management issues
A tomboy pilot who’s totally not into him, in case you were wondering

And Ty’s squad isn’t even his biggest problem—that’d be Aurora Jie-Lin O’Malley, the girl he’s just rescued from interdimensional space. Trapped in cryo-sleep for two centuries, Auri is a girl out of time and out of her depth. But she could be the catalyst that starts a war millions of years in the making, and Tyler’s squad of losers, discipline-cases and misfits might just be the last hope for the entire galaxy."

Now this is the type of misfits gang I'm looking for. I was about to start reading Retribution Falls, which is the first book in the Ketty Jay series too, but in comparison I preferred the diversity and team dynamics of Aurora Rising more, so I ended up reading that first. (I've already invested and bought all the books in the Ketty Jay series, though, so I'll definitely get back to it soon)

Offline eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #12987 on: November 25, 2019, 07:19:41 AM »
The Blurb sounds very Sanderson I’m sure you will love Aurora Rising Inky.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 07:48:26 AM by Eclipse »
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #12988 on: November 25, 2019, 01:13:58 PM »
I finished Shockwave by Lindsay Buroker. It was an OK space adventure, as long as you don't think too hard about things. It didn't really resolve anything. I might continue with the series if that's what I'm in the mood for. They're all on KU. (This on was free, but probably only temporarily.)

I then read the whole of Beauty by Sarah Pinborough, the third and last of the Tales from the Kingdoms fairytale retellings. This one's a spin on Sleeping Beauty, with references to many others. Good fun, as always. I'm not sure how long these books actually are, but it really didn't take long to read.

Trying to cram a quick Agatha Christie in next (A Caribbean Mystery) and then I don't know.

Offline Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Auror
  • Bookworm first, human second.
« Reply #12989 on: November 26, 2019, 05:52:52 PM »

The original Thrawn trilogy is good, but I preferred the old EU when it focused on things other than Jedi. (Rogue Squadron all the way!)
The new Thrawn trilogy is some of the best of the new canon, though I haven't read the third yet. It's weird to see a character getting a second chance at development, but Zahn pulls it off well. Hope you enjoy them.
Next year, a third Thrawn trilogy is going to start as well. This one's a prequel to the most recent Thrawn books, about his early life. I'm really looking forward to it.

Finished A Little Hatred last night and loved it. I've not read so much fantasy this year, but now I'm eager to catch up on what I've missed.
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex