August 06, 2020, 11:07:32 AM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 2046065 times)

Offline eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #12915 on: October 27, 2019, 12:16:44 PM »
Murderbot is awesome, Sanderson less then awesome.

Do you think the murderbot novel be twice as expensive as the shorts .. ouchie
« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 12:19:17 PM by Eclipse »
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Yora

« Reply #12916 on: October 27, 2019, 12:25:18 PM »
Coming to the end of the audiobook of The Last Wish.   What do I listen to next?  Sword of Destiny or Blood of Elves?
Absolutely Sword of Destiny. That book sets up the whole important background for Blood of Elves.
We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on a big tower of other dwarves.

Beneath the Leaves of Kaendor

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12917 on: October 27, 2019, 03:05:39 PM »
Are the MurderBot novellas related to an Emilie series? That's what I found in my library for Martha Wells.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline The Sword in the Tome

« Reply #12918 on: October 27, 2019, 04:19:54 PM »
Sanderson less then awesome.
Whew.  I feared I might be the only one on this forum who felt this way.   ;D 
My YouTube fantasy book review channel: The Sword in the Tome

Offline eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #12919 on: October 27, 2019, 04:53:43 PM »

There is a hidden sub forum where we hang out.

I’m reading The Undoing of Arlo Knott by Heather Child.

The Mc discovers he can time travel a few minutes back in time after a tragic event in his early teens. He is a bit immature at the start of the novel but matures as he grows older. Also this story is set in Birmingham in England where I live nearby. it gives of a 90s English vibe which is a change of pace for me with mentions of rolos and cds .
« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 04:58:38 PM by Eclipse »
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Beynon88

« Reply #12920 on: October 27, 2019, 07:06:18 PM »
Not fantasy but didn’t fancy starting anything else after The Black Prism so have started Dispatches by Michael Hert and on my commute am listening to The Defence by Steve Cavanagh, it’s a crime court thriller. Fast paced, slightly unbelievable easy listen. Listened to one of them before Thirteen and enjoyed also.

Offline Nighteyes

• DON'T send me Leopard Erotica!
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12921 on: October 27, 2019, 07:31:52 PM »

There is a hidden sub forum where we hang out.

I’m reading The Undoing of Arlo Knott by Heather Child.

The Mc discovers he can time travel a few minutes back in time after a tragic event in his early teens. He is a bit immature at the start of the novel but matures as he grows older. Also this story is set in Birmingham in England where I live nearby. it gives of a 90s English vibe which is a change of pace for me with mentions of rolos and cds .

You don't like the Brandonbot v2.0?  The sophisticated AI built by Mormon Scientists in Utah who can write 5 fantasy novels a year?
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Nighteyes

• DON'T send me Leopard Erotica!
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12922 on: October 27, 2019, 10:00:29 PM »
The Secret Commonwealth by Phillip Pullman.
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Rostum

« Reply #12923 on: October 27, 2019, 10:45:08 PM »
Finished Chasing Graves. Good start and nice concept but was glad to get to the end.

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #12924 on: October 28, 2019, 01:09:49 PM »
I finally finished The Gray House by Mariam Petrosyan yesterday (and also realised it was Mariam not Miriam). It's a great book, kind of odd, and maybe not something I'd recommend to a general fanasy reader. On the literary end of the genre.

I've started one of my regular Agatha Christies to follow it, The Clocks, which shouldn't take too long, and then I think I'm likely to be starting The Black Prism by Brent Weeks, unless I decide I need to squeeze anything else in between.

Offline isos81

« Reply #12925 on: October 29, 2019, 05:10:07 PM »
Finished The Way of Shadows. Started Shadow's Edge
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline Bender

« Reply #12926 on: October 30, 2019, 10:35:50 AM »
Vengeful (Villains #2)
- V.E. Schwab

When I finished Vicious, I was disappointed about it's length and wished the author wrote more. The wish was fulfilled in Vengeful, but sadly turned to be a step down.

Vengeful continues to story of Eli & Victor, but the plot gets stereotypical and X-Men'esque with battle between Eos vs secret govt agency hunting and researching them, which is as close to stale in this genre.

The writing style is crisp as before and the way author weaves the story is superb and you just let yourself get pulled into the narrative. It's just that a major chunk of the book after the initial introduction meanders into flashbacks after flashbacks and at some point inertia sets in and you get to wondering when the story get back on track. The character building is superb, but the fact that it adds no value to story (I didn't get to know Eli any better than at end of Book 1) kinda puts a dampener on the proceedings.

It was just after 60% into the book, that the author finally brings us back to the plot at hand and within a short time leads to the grand finale. A few quick twists in actions which gets you back to edge of your seat and you end up with a climax which feels a rip off straight out of X-Men: The Last Stand and then finally the book finishes off with an open ending, perhaps for a potential sequel.

Like a good Hollywood movie that falls short of great, the plot and pacing bring down what could have been a stellar sequel. For me personally, the interactions between the protagonists was the highlight of book 1 and that was missing and pushed to the fringe by the new elements herein. I can understand the need for fresh plot, but this just feels cliched.

6/10
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 07:12:31 PM by Bender »
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline Bender

« Reply #12927 on: October 30, 2019, 07:31:29 PM »
Bought All Systems Red, Murderbot #1.

About to start now...
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Online S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #12928 on: October 31, 2019, 06:48:10 AM »
Vengeful (Villains #2)
- V.E. Schwab

When I finished Vicious, I was disappointed about it's length and wished the author wrote more. The wish was fulfilled in Vengeful, but sadly turned to be a step down.

Vengeful continues to story of Eli & Victor, but the plot gets stereotypical and X-Men'esque with battle between Eos vs secret govt agency hunting and researching them, which is as close to stale in this genre.

The writing style is crisp as before and the way author weaves the story is superb and you just let yourself get pulled into the narrative. It's just that a major chunk of the book after the initial introduction meanders into flashbacks after flashbacks and at some point inertia sets in and you get to wondering when the story get back on track. The character building is superb, but the fact that it adds no value to story (I didn't get to know Eli any better than at end of Book 1) kinda puts a dampener on the proceedings.

It was just after 60% into the book, that the author finally brings us back to the plot at hand and within a short time leads to the grand finale. A few quick twists in actions which gets you back to edge of your seat and you end up with a climax which feels a rip off straight out of X-Men: The Last Stand and then finally the book finishes off with an open ending, perhaps for a potential sequel.

Like a good Hollywood movie that falls short of great, the plot and pacing bring down what could have been a stellar sequel. For me personally, the interactions between the protagonists was the highlight of book 1 and that was missing and pushed to the fringe by the new elements herein. I can understand the need for fresh plot, but this just feels cliched.

6/10

I'd warned you beforehand, since I've read two of V. E. Schwabb's trilogies, is that she almost always started out book 1 as something extremely original with great quality to boot, only for that quality to drop massively in the second to third books. There was one duology I wrote by her that I gave book 1 five stars, while I gave the second book one star. It was that massive of a drop, seriously.

Online NedMarcus

« Reply #12929 on: October 31, 2019, 07:45:20 AM »
I'm rereading Dune. It's been a while since I last read it, but the story's still good.