August 13, 2020, 09:44:41 AM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 2050637 times)

Offline isos81

Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #12855 on: October 04, 2019, 09:19:44 AM »
Finished Republic of Thieves. Started The Way of Shadows

How was it?  *put down some snacks on the table and pull out a chair, then sit down waiting in anticipation*  ;D

Well, I have mixed feelings. Let me put my comments in spoiler tags :)

Spoiler for Hiden:
I can say that I liked the book. Sabetha was not much of a disturbance to me. I could feel for her unlike Denna. But I would have preferred a better story than the playacting (something that involves thievery). The interludes in the previous books were better than this one.

I also felt like this book was a little bit lighter than its prequels. I felt like the book lacked a little bit depth. And I really disliked how Falconer came back into the game, it was way too easy.

I still give this book 4.5 / 5 though :)
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #12856 on: October 04, 2019, 01:23:34 PM »
I finished Charm by Sarah Pinborough. I enjoyed it. It was more of a sequel to Poison than I originally thought.

I've gone on to another non-speculative book for my stupid title challenge*: Beyond the Black Stump by Nevil Shute. So far it's a bit racist and not much is happening.

*Read a book with Black in the title every month

Offline Lu Kudzoza

« Reply #12857 on: October 04, 2019, 04:58:43 PM »
Finished Republic of Thieves. Started The Way of Shadows

How was it?  *put down some snacks on the table and pull out a chair, then sit down waiting in anticipation*  ;D

Well, I have mixed feelings. Let me put my comments in spoiler tags :)

Spoiler for Hiden:
I can say that I liked the book. Sabetha was not much of a disturbance to me. I could feel for her unlike Denna. But I would have preferred a better story than the playacting (something that involves thievery). The interludes in the previous books were better than this one.

I also felt like this book was a little bit lighter than its prequels. I felt like the book lacked a little bit depth. And I really disliked how Falconer came back into the game, it was way too easy.

I still give this book 4.5 / 5 though :)

I felt much the same way, but I would have rated it closer to 3.75 or 4.

Offline Bender

« Reply #12858 on: October 04, 2019, 08:56:33 PM »
Just finished The Dungeoneers by Jeffrey Russell. It's a D&D'esque book with some Indian Jones thrown in. A gang of mostly Dwarves attempt to loot a crypt for a antique gets caught in bigger stuff when a guard joins their group due to mistaken identity. Throw in a undead Liche and taking over world stuff, it's a fun read.

Lots of humor and plot ambles along a bit slow. Books feels a bit light as a result and you don't get the gravitas some scenes deserve.

Good read nevertheless.
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12859 on: October 05, 2019, 04:23:04 PM »
I've now started Aliette de Bodard's book 3, The house of sundering flames.
Ooooh I'm going to do something I never do: interrupt my current reading (only 3 chapters in) and read another book instead!

Thing is, I went to my library today and while browsing the 'new books' section I suddenly noticed Anna Stephens' Bloodchild! All shiny and new! So of course I had to bring it home, and since I bet someone will put in a request (which means I can't renew it), I don't trust myself to finish my current book and Anna's in time to take it back. So there you are, new book...

Funny thing is I actually thought of putting in an order at the library for this book (meaning asking them to buy it), since I'd been checking a couple of weeks ago and they didn't have it.

Note: I'll actually buy it when it comes out in paperback, but I want to finish the series right now! ;D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #12860 on: October 05, 2019, 08:39:34 PM »
I had a Gemmell so I'm reading it. Ironhands's Daughter.

I'm also reading bits of three non-fiction now and then.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Offline Rostum

« Reply #12861 on: October 06, 2019, 10:37:35 PM »
Started Crowfall enjoying it so far.

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #12862 on: October 07, 2019, 11:23:09 AM »
I've started The Gray House by Miriam Petrosyan. It's very long, and nothing fantastical has happened yet. I don't really even know what it's meant to be about, it was just a recommendation on Reddit and was available for me to borrow.

Offline isos81

« Reply #12863 on: October 07, 2019, 12:07:26 PM »
Started The Way of Shadows

I have trouble understanding some of the parts in this book and the book lacks depth so far (25% in). Maybe it's because I read it while walking or maybe I'm reading it in English.

This is Brent's debut novel if I'm not mistaken. If so, the depth thing is understadable. Lightbringer was also a slow start. This book might change later, just like Lightbringer :)
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

Offline The Sword in the Tome

« Reply #12864 on: October 07, 2019, 05:11:44 PM »
I have trouble understanding some of the parts in this book and the book lacks depth so far (25% in). Maybe it's because I read it while walking or maybe I'm reading it in English.

This is Brent's debut novel if I'm not mistaken. If so, the depth thing is understadable. Lightbringer was also a slow start. This book might change later, just like Lightbringer :)
Interesting.  I didn't feel like The Way of Shadows had a slow start.  Or lacked depth, for that matter.
My YouTube fantasy book review channel: The Sword in the Tome

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12865 on: October 07, 2019, 05:28:37 PM »
I wonder if it's because you're reading it after Lightbringer... I think there are visible differences in the writing between the 2 series.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline isos81

« Reply #12866 on: October 08, 2019, 06:41:17 AM »

Interesting.  I didn't feel like The Way of Shadows had a slow start.  Or lacked depth, for that matter.

It may be that I might have missed some points. I'm not saying that the book is lacking depth but I feel like it :)

Offline isos81

« Reply #12867 on: October 08, 2019, 06:42:23 AM »
I wonder if it's because you're reading it after Lightbringer... I think there are visible differences in the writing between the 2 series.

Most probably. Lightbringer was better in terms of writing. But still, it's too early to generalize the whole series. I'm only at %25 of the first book.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 07:55:42 AM by ScarletBea »

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #12868 on: October 08, 2019, 08:41:49 AM »

It may be that I might have missed some points. I'm not saying that the book is lacking depth but I feel like it :)

*whispers* I do feel the beginning portions of the Way of Shadows to be lacking some depth too. All the violence just seemed too unbelievably extreme, I think.

Offline The Sword in the Tome

« Reply #12869 on: October 08, 2019, 03:03:47 PM »
It's all subjective, so your impressions are just as valid as anyone else's.   :)
My YouTube fantasy book review channel: The Sword in the Tome