October 17, 2019, 07:10:57 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1769937 times)

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #12750 on: September 01, 2019, 05:21:57 AM »
Started Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. I've read the entire series once in my native langulage, now this is my first run of the entire wizarding world in english.

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #12751 on: September 01, 2019, 12:13:51 PM »
I borrowed Arcanum Unbounded by Brandon Sanderson from my local library. It looks like I've read 1/3 of the stories, 1/3 contain spoilers for books I haven't read yet, and the other 1/3 are very minor. Not my smartest loan. I think I might just return it unread and borrow it again when I'm more up to date on Mistborn and Stormlight.

Also, I finished my Agtha Christie this morning, so I missed the end of the month and I still don't know what I'm going to read next.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12752 on: September 01, 2019, 04:22:21 PM »
I've just finished Crowfall, Ed McDonald.
WOW
Just WOW
This is such an amazing book, and an amazing end to a fantastic trilogy!
More than the plot, the story, the magic, what really hit me were the characters, the sheer humanity of them all amongst the strangest of settings.

There a quote from Mark Lawrence on the cover that says "Grimdark with heart", which I believe is as good a summary as any.

Go read the series now, please.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #12753 on: September 02, 2019, 05:15:07 PM »
I ended up starting Too Like the Lightning by Ada Palmer. Too early to form an opinion yet.

Offline isos81

« Reply #12754 on: September 03, 2019, 07:13:12 AM »
20 percent into the Locke Lamora and I still can't decide whether I like the book or not :) Let's keep reading..
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12755 on: September 03, 2019, 07:51:43 AM »
I've started The tyrant's law, book 3 in Daniel Abraham's series The Dagger and the Coin (there are 5 in total).

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline MrChristopher

« Reply #12756 on: September 04, 2019, 10:57:52 AM »
20 percent into the Locke Lamora and I still can't decide whether I like the book or not :) Let's keep reading..
That's funny. we must be reading at the same pace, I'm about 20% of the way in too. I'm enjoying it. It's keeping me guessing about the main plot, hopefully it won't be a disappointment. I like the characterization of the 5 young men and the flashbacks to Chains.
<Witty Signature Currently Under Construction>

Offline isos81

« Reply #12757 on: September 04, 2019, 01:08:07 PM »
That's funny. we must be reading at the same pace, I'm about 20% of the way in too. I'm enjoying it. It's keeping me guessing about the main plot, hopefully it won't be a disappointment. I like the characterization of the 5 young men and the flashbacks to Chains.

It's getting better. I cannot read this book as fast as others tbh. But, I like Locke's childhood and development (interludes) more than the main plot.
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #12758 on: September 05, 2019, 12:02:36 AM »
Listening to a world war 2 novel “The Nightingale”.
And listening to the second Memory, Sorrow & Thorn novel: “The Stone of Farewell”
And listening to about 5 podcasts.
And reading a mystery novel “The Poacher’s Son”
And reading a non-fiction book the... oh, I don’t remember without going upstairs.  :P
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12759 on: September 05, 2019, 07:45:11 AM »
Listening to a world war 2 novel “The Nightingale”.
And listening to the second Memory, Sorrow & Thorn novel: “The Stone of Farewell”
And listening to about 5 podcasts.
And reading a mystery novel “The Poacher’s Son”
And reading a non-fiction book the... oh, I don’t remember without going upstairs.  :P
I pity your brain, it must be so confused :P

Online Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #12760 on: September 05, 2019, 09:22:38 PM »
I'm feeling like Jmack, can't focus on a single thing and trying to read pieces of various at the same time.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #12761 on: September 06, 2019, 01:15:50 AM »

I’ve taken a pause while the female co-star behaves like an idiot. Maybe if I wait long enough, she’ll have gotten that part over with when I start to listen again. (This is what I tell Mrs. JMack during sooooo many movies: “I’m embarrassed for the characters. I can’t watch.”)
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #12762 on: September 07, 2019, 04:18:54 AM »
Finished Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. It's Harry Potter, so there's not much to comment there, hahah.  ;D I definitely enjoyed it for sure.

Restarting again on Promise of Blood by Brian McClellan. I think I'm in the right mindset for some gritty action tale right now, and it's prime time I came back to this series again.

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12763 on: September 07, 2019, 06:13:02 PM »

I’ve taken a pause while the female co-star behaves like an idiot. Maybe if I wait long enough, she’ll have gotten that part over with when I start to listen again. (This is what I tell Mrs. JMack during sooooo many movies: “I’m embarrassed for the characters. I can’t watch.”)
I think listening is harder than reading in this case.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Rostum

« Reply #12764 on: September 07, 2019, 11:05:40 PM »
The Dark Forge the follow on to Cold iron by miles Cameron and it's very good.
#

Edit:starting the third book Bright Steel.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 05:04:07 PM by Rostum »