October 15, 2019, 03:17:17 AM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1768455 times)

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #12705 on: August 15, 2019, 09:51:28 PM »
Finished Marie Brennan's The Tropic of Serpents (better than the first book in my eyes!) and will read Becky Chalmers new book To be taught, if fortunate and/or Brennan's The Voyage of the Basilisk next.
@xiagan, Marie's books keep getting better, in my opinion, once she gets away from a more 'traditional' point of view :)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #12706 on: August 16, 2019, 08:43:02 AM »
I've just started Ghost Story (Not sure if it's a coincidence of intentional that this book is the 13th installment in the Dresden files, hah) and have to say that I'm kinda disappointed. The things I've grown used to expecting from the Dresden series aren't there, and the story of Harry being a young, inexperienced shade didn't quirk my interest as much as I'd like. It's still a Dresden files book, but I guess that it's really true that the earlier 'villain of the week' Dresden before Changes were probably superior than the post-Changes book. Looking forward to when the book will picked up again. 

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #12707 on: August 16, 2019, 09:57:59 AM »
I've just started Ghost Story (Not sure if it's a coincidence of intentional that this book is the 13th installment in the Dresden files, hah) and have to say that I'm kinda disappointed. The things I've grown used to expecting from the Dresden series aren't there, and the story of Harry being a young, inexperienced shade didn't quirk my interest as much as I'd like. It's still a Dresden files book, but I guess that it's really true that the earlier 'villain of the week' Dresden before Changes were probably superior than the post-Changes book. Looking forward to when the book will picked up again.
Changes is a really hard act to follow. I’ve enjoyed the books since, but nothing has quite hit it the way Changes did. I reread the whole series recently and Changes dialled it all the way up to 11.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Peat

« Reply #12708 on: August 16, 2019, 12:32:58 PM »
Changes is a really hard act to follow. I’ve enjoyed the books since, but nothing has quite hit it the way Changes did. I reread the whole series recently and Changes dialled it all the way up to 11.

It is a hard act to follow, but I think that Ghost Story wouldn't have worked that well for me even without that comparison.

Cold Days (I think that's next?) also suffers a bit in comparison, but I like that one on its own merits a fair bit more.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #12709 on: August 16, 2019, 10:07:35 PM »
I just finished Kings of the Wyld, and wow. There were sections during the start that I hesitated between giving 3.5 and 4 stars between them, but once the book went into the later half this is definitely a 5 stars read for sure.

(snip)

This book is definitely going into my exclusives favorites shelf for sure.

I adored Kings of the Wyld. For me it was the perfect mix of adventure, comedy, and heart. Pick up Bloody Rose (the sequel) as soon as you can! It's just as good.

I actually met Nicholas Eames at the 2018 Worldcon and got to know him a bit. He's a super cool guy, and a big gaming nerd as you'd expect.

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #12710 on: August 16, 2019, 11:38:18 PM »
I just finished Kings of the Wyld, and wow. There were sections during the start that I hesitated between giving 3.5 and 4 stars between them, but once the book went into the later half this is definitely a 5 stars read for sure.

(snip)

This book is definitely going into my exclusives favorites shelf for sure.

I adored Kings of the Wyld. For me it was the perfect mix of adventure, comedy, and heart. Pick up Bloody Rose (the sequel) as soon as you can! It's just as good.

I actually met Nicholas Eames at the 2018 Worldcon and got to know him a bit. He's a super cool guy, and a big gaming nerd as you'd expect.
I loved it too. Recently completed my 4th read of it, and each time I find more layers to it. The sequel doesn’t have quite the same puppy dog enthusiasm, but is still a thoroughly enjoyable read and contains almost as many cool characters. I love how he skewers the rock music cliches. I read a biography of Jimmy Page and Saga came across as being very much Led Zeppelin, with a fair dose of The Who mixed in.

Offline hexa

« Reply #12711 on: August 16, 2019, 11:40:37 PM »
The Choice of Magic by Michael Manning.  Splendid sword & sorcery, but I believe that its masculine style appeals more to male readers than females

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #12712 on: August 18, 2019, 02:59:42 PM »
I finished Jewel of the Endless Erg by John Bierce yesterday, the sequel to Into the Labyrinth. It was quite good fun. More adventures with our misfit apprentice mages. Some issues with the scope and limits of magic.

I have moved on to Dreams Before the Start of Time by Anne Charnock, which I knew nothing about going in, except that it won an award a couple of years ago - The Clarke Award maybe? - and I liked another book by the same author. So far it looks like it might be about the future of pregnancy. Part 1 was about two pregnant friends in the near future, with unusual family arrangements. Part two seems to have jumped further ahead in time, but I haven't started it yet so I don't know how it connects. I like it, but I'm not sure where it's going just yet.

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #12713 on: August 20, 2019, 07:56:03 AM »
I DNF'd Ghost Story at around the 50% mark. I kept trudging through the story, hoping it will get better only for the story to only disappoint me even more. In my opinion this is probably the worse book I've read in the Dresden Files so far, the weaker parts of the story (Dresden's endless inner monologue and pandering, for one) only grew in volume, and the stronger parts (his interactions with his allies, Dresden investigating a case, Dresden throwing big shot magic around) are just not present in this book.

I've gotten so bored that I've skimmed through the back half of the book enough to have a general idea of who the bad guy, how events will unfold, and how it will all ended. I've even went on to skim Cold Days and Skin Game a bit, and I'm just not sure anymore if this is still the Dresden Files I've come to love and if I will enjoy the next books in the series. I guess we'll have to see about that, I may get back to it someday.

Switch to reading Wolves of the Calla (Dark Tower 5)

Offline Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Valheru
  • Bookworm first, human second.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12714 on: August 20, 2019, 06:38:02 PM »
I DNF'd Ghost Story at around the 50% mark. I kept trudging through the story, hoping it will get better only for the story to only disappoint me even more. In my opinion this is probably the worse book I've read in the Dresden Files so far, the weaker parts of the story (Dresden's endless inner monologue and pandering, for one) only grew in volume, and the stronger parts (his interactions with his allies, Dresden investigating a case, Dresden throwing big shot magic around) are just not present in this book.

I've gotten so bored that I've skimmed through the back half of the book enough to have a general idea of who the bad guy, how events will unfold, and how it will all ended. I've even went on to skim Cold Days and Skin Game a bit, and I'm just not sure anymore if this is still the Dresden Files I've come to love and if I will enjoy the next books in the series. I guess we'll have to see about that, I may get back to it someday.

Switch to reading Wolves of the Calla (Dark Tower 5)

The last 3-4 books of Dresden are where I lost interest too. Looking back, Changes would have been a great place to finish the series. After that it's no longer about solving individual cases, instead it's Harry Dresden having to save the world, or fae politics, neither of which I find particularly interesting.

I'm about to start Lies Sleeping, the most recent Peter Grant novel. This is a series that's managed to balance individual cases against the bigger stuff much better, in my opinion. I'm still not keen on the politics of the rivers, but it's still a great series.
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Offline Bender

« Reply #12715 on: August 21, 2019, 12:37:47 AM »
Dresden later books get a lot of stick. I think the story needs to progress both in score and in world setting. Chicago/Detective has been done and it's running out of novelty. Harry's background, why he was able to kill the Walker's lead into him playing a bigger role and the Winter Knight avatar boils into that. Skin Game felt like a filler book and I'm not sure which plot it advanced, but Cold Days moved the overarching plot greatly and set scene for new characters. I'm interested in ilsee how the big plot ends.
Not all those who wander are lost

Online Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #12716 on: August 22, 2019, 09:35:35 PM »
I have no idea what's going on and why, but those are the books I've read recently:

This is the One: Sir Alex Ferguson: The Uncut Story of a Football Genius by Daniel Taylor.

Biography of Manchester United's manager for almost 30 years. The title is misleading, it only encompasses around 3 years, between a very poor season when he almost retired, to winning the league next year in the early 2000s.

The Special One by Diego Torres.

Mourinho's  passage in Real Madrid. Fantastic book, covering everything happening in the dressing room, the politics, the dirty... specially Mourinho's psychological analyses. Fantastic.

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen.

I don't think I need to say much about it, but I enjoyed the witty and the sincerity of it above all else.

Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes.

A story about someone with mental retardness that goes through an experiment that makes him intelligent. Perhaps they succeeded a bit too much on this, but this doesn't give him social and emotional intelligence. Pretty dark in some parts, light in others.

Yeah, nothing of it is Fantasy! Or even Sci-Fi, perhaps the last one. And now I'm reading Pride and Prejudice and Zombies while having Milton's Paradise Lost on standby since February.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Offline hexa

« Reply #12717 on: August 23, 2019, 02:57:33 AM »
Flowers for Algernon is one of the most famous short stories of science fiction

Offline NedMarcus

« Reply #12718 on: August 23, 2019, 06:27:07 AM »
Flowers for Algernon is one of the most famous short stories of science fiction

I enjoyed reading this, although it's quite sad. And it doesn't really feel like science fiction—maybe speculative fiction.

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12719 on: August 23, 2019, 12:38:58 PM »
We read it with the FF book club. Be sure to check it out, if you're interested in our comments. :)
-> http://fantasy-faction.com/forum/(novemberdecember-2012)-flowers-for-algernon/
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)