February 25, 2020, 02:17:47 AM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1905243 times)

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #12675 on: August 03, 2019, 11:32:02 AM »
Finished Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. I must say I quite enjoyed the book. I give it a solid 4.5 stars :)

Why did I cut .5 points? Well, first of all, I agree with @Bender that Kvothe is perfect in everything. I like more if the hero is a little bit clumsy like Kip in Lightbringer. And I have to admit that I hated the Denna parts.

I'm starting the second book, Wise Man's Fear.

Denna is undoubtedly, along with Sabetha from the Gentlemen Bastard series, one of the most annoying female characters ever, in fantasy or otherwise. I absolutely hated her parts too, hands down.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12676 on: August 03, 2019, 03:34:38 PM »
Denna is undoubtedly, along with Sabetha from the Gentlemen Bastard series, one of the most annoying female characters ever, in fantasy or otherwise. I absolutely hated her parts too, hands down.
Wait until you read Malta from Robin Hobb's Liveship traders series, I really hated her. Although, sort of spoilerish, she changes A LOT and in later books I love her :D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12677 on: August 03, 2019, 08:45:45 PM »
Why did I cut .5 points? Well, first of all, I agree with @Bender that Kvothe is perfect in everything. I like more if the hero is a little bit clumsy like Kip in Lightbringer.
Don't forget that all we hear and learn about him is told by Kvothe himself. We know that he's not exactly reliable and truthful in his stories, so the way I see it, his perfectness has to be taken with a grain of salt. The fishes he caught are of course all big. ;)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Bender

« Reply #12678 on: August 04, 2019, 12:21:57 AM »
Denna is just Kvothe-lite. She recited a entire song after having listened to it once. She's also knows Yllish knots despite no formal education. If she had studied in the University, she'd be a female Kvothe. Also her segments are annoying.
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline Rostum

« Reply #12679 on: August 04, 2019, 06:53:58 AM »
Finished Persepolis Rising expanse 7 on Kindle (does the series end when they run out of dragons?) and am not paying £11 for Tiamats wrath in kindle format.

Read Quick Killer and the Iceman on Kindle a fairly meh short in a zombie series I have read for years by James Cook

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12680 on: August 04, 2019, 08:27:58 AM »
I've now started Peter Newman's The deathless, and 2 chapters in I already know I'm going to love it!
It's a very different style to his first trilogy, more 'normal', hehe

Offline Peat

« Reply #12681 on: August 05, 2019, 01:07:45 AM »
Reading the Golem and the Djinni.

Why did I cut .5 points? Well, first of all, I agree with @Bender that Kvothe is perfect in everything. I like more if the hero is a little bit clumsy like Kip in Lightbringer.
Don't forget that all we hear and learn about him is told by Kvothe himself. We know that he's not exactly reliable and truthful in his stories, so the way I see it, his perfectness has to be taken with a grain of salt. The fishes he caught are of course all big. ;)

There's a big wide gulf between seeing a protagonist's flaws clear as day and the possibility that we'd see them if somebody else told the story.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline isos81

« Reply #12682 on: August 05, 2019, 09:33:21 AM »

He not only tells but also demonstrates. He learned Chronicler's code writing in a day :) But I agree with you that it could be different if someone else told the story :)
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #12683 on: August 05, 2019, 03:07:36 PM »
I finished Rosewater by Tade Thompson on Saturday. I enjoyed it. The psychic powers make it weirdly old-school, even though there is a decent explanation.

I've started The Fire Sermon by Francesca Haig. It's a bit YA Dystopia so far, although I'm not sure it's even technically YA. It was a Morningstar finalist in 2016, and is part of my ongoing project to read every book ever shortlisted (which is now a fixed target since the award has been scrapped. I have 21 to go, and already own all but one of them).

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12684 on: August 05, 2019, 03:28:24 PM »
I finished Rosewater by Tade Thompson on Saturday. I enjoyed it. The psychic powers make it weirdly old-school, even though there is a decent explanation.
Oh that's good to know, I've been meaning to bring this one from the library, it looked interesting.

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12685 on: August 06, 2019, 08:36:38 AM »
Just started The Tropic of Serpents, the second volume in the Memoirs by Lady Trent series.

I may need to read fast or make a break the day after tomorrow because Becky Chambers has a new book out!
Took me totally by surprise but looking forward a lot to To be taught, if fortunate.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12686 on: August 06, 2019, 11:33:27 AM »
I've now started Peter Newman's The deathless, and 2 chapters in I already know I'm going to love it!
It's a very different style to his first trilogy, more 'normal', hehe

I've tried to find it, I'm sure I didn't imagine it, but I can't find it... Do you remember one of our monthly contests where you had to write based on pictures, and there was a picture of floating mountains with castles on it, above a ravaged earth?
That's Peter's book 8)

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #12687 on: August 06, 2019, 04:33:27 PM »
I'm reading Ed McDonald's Crowfall and loving it. Dark magic and ancient mysteries is so very much my thing.

The Traitor God & God of Broken Things

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12688 on: August 06, 2019, 06:21:51 PM »
I'm reading Ed McDonald's Crowfall and loving it. Dark magic and ancient mysteries is so very much my thing.
Yay!
I'm not sure if you saw what I wrote earlier, but I can really picture Ryhalt and your Edrin chatting over a pint, being firm friends ;D

(2 weeks until I'm able to read that one...)

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #12689 on: August 08, 2019, 07:47:42 AM »
I hadn't seen that, but it's so true!  ;D

The Traitor God & God of Broken Things