June 19, 2019, 04:14:25 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1658983 times)

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #12555 on: June 02, 2019, 08:42:17 AM »
So I finished Jen Williams' The poison song, and it was a super book!
I just love those characters :D
Jen manages to write stories that 'flow', that's the best word I can find to describe it: things just happen, and you're carried along, happily and easily, living with them, until suddenly you're at the end and you wonder how you got there so quickly (note: how come it's June already? :o )
For all the bad things that happen (generally in her books, not just this one), she's firmly in the group of "happy books" for me :)
The ending was ok, it didn't reach the levels of The silver tide, which I think is up there with the best of endings in my opinion (a very restrict club, for me)

Yesterday I started Mark Lawrence's One word kill.
Very different, not even sure if it can be considered fantasy, but if so, firmly in the realm of urban fantasy. I won't say more as that'd be spoilery.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #12556 on: June 02, 2019, 08:23:06 PM »
Finished the Invisible Library and liked it enough to get the next book soon.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #12557 on: June 05, 2019, 03:14:57 PM »
Next is my KOLL book for May, We Ride the Storm by Devin Madson, another finalist from the recently-concluded SPFBO 4, ending up 3rd (joint 2nd? are there any rules for a tie-break?) I'm enjoying it so far. Weirdly, although I have read a handful of books from each year of SPFBO, I have yet to read a winner, even though I own all 4 of them.
I finished this last night. It was good, but I felt it lacked a bit of a driving force. It's well-written and readable, but I wasn't all that keen on any of the leads, and even at the end of the book it's hard to see what the series story is actually about. I would like to see where it goes, though.

I'm moving on to Raven Stratagem by Yoon Ha Lee, although I think I've talked myself out of signing up for the Hugo voting. I'm still going to want to read the winner to maintain my 100% record, so I might as well read the other pre-requisite (although my money is on The Calculating Stars).

Offline Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Chrestomanci
  • Bookworm first, human second.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12558 on: June 05, 2019, 09:05:47 PM »
I'm onto Whispers Under Ground. Found the last Peter Grant book pretty mediocre, but this is a huge step up. Particularly liking the day-by-day approach.

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #12559 on: June 05, 2019, 10:00:40 PM »
Finished Dracula by Bram Stoker. 3/5

It shows its age, but the good things are really masterful good things.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #12560 on: June 05, 2019, 10:01:55 PM »
Started A Natural History of Dragons. Quite good so far!
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Online ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12561 on: June 05, 2019, 10:03:29 PM »
I'm onto Whispers Under Ground. Found the last Peter Grant book pretty mediocre, but this is a huge step up. Particularly liking the day-by-day approach.
Funnily enough, I bought this one today for 20p, as a library discard!!
(I'd read it from there a couple of years ago)

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #12562 on: June 06, 2019, 04:43:10 PM »
Just reading Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen for a massive change of style.

I knew something about the story and style, but never actually read it in full.

Curiously enough, I'm blazing through it, already 12 chapters in. There's the wit, the nuances and the great passages, sure, but above all, so far, the best is that it's a very... sincere book, so to speak. No holds barred speaking truths, specially about love and society, but done in a very classy, lighthearted way.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #12563 on: June 07, 2019, 11:29:33 AM »

Curiously enough, I'm blazing through it, already 12 chapters in. There's the wit, the nuances and the great passages, sure, but above all, so far, the best is that it's a very... sincere book, so to speak. No holds barred speaking truths, specially about love and society, but done in a very classy, lighthearted way.

I like “Persuasion” next best.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline isos81

« Reply #12564 on: June 07, 2019, 12:11:10 PM »
I finished Prince of Thorns, starting King of Thorns
Currently Reading: Emperor of Thorns by Mark Lawrence

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #12565 on: June 07, 2019, 02:14:22 PM »

I like “Persuasion” next best.
I really enjoyed P&P when I read it a few years ago. Persuasion is somewhat ruined for me by the fact that I studied it at school. I ought to read the rest of her books, really.

Online ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12566 on: June 08, 2019, 09:34:10 AM »
I finished One word kill, Mark Lawrence.
It was super interesting and very very different from his usual books, as it can be classified as urban fantasy or even sci-fi. His characters are great, as usual, and the inclusion of quantum physics is super interesting (for me, hehe - it also helps I read popular science physics books, so a few of the ideas explained there were already familiar)
I commented on the small triggers it caused in another thread, but I was able to overcome them and really enjoy the book.

I got his book 2 Limited wish yesterday, but I'll do a break in the series and I started reading @CameronJohnston 's book 2, God of broken things.

I had to ask him for a quick summary of book 1, poor me, but I'd started reading it before he replied and I remembered more than I thought!
Note: because he's so nice, I let him get away with one of my personal bugbears (in books or tv series) ;) - when there's a scene at the start and afterwards you get a caption "X hours/days earlier..." and it explains how the characters ended up there.

Offline NedMarcus

« Reply #12567 on: June 08, 2019, 01:43:44 PM »
I'm rereading Asimov's Foundation for the first time in over three decades, and it feels surprisingly fresh.

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #12568 on: June 09, 2019, 04:33:05 AM »
I finished Snapshot sometime ago and it was another stellar piece by Brandon Sanderson. The twist at the end totally took me off guard, hah.  :D

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #12569 on: June 09, 2019, 11:14:13 PM »
I'd also recommend Casey Glanders' "Gailsone" series,

Finished Book 1 "Big in Japan". Loved it. The female lead is so refreshing with none of the usual romantic tropes attached. Probably one of the best female characters in SFF.

Off to read the next in series!x

I just finished Big in Japan, and found it entertaining. It was fun to see the classic Justice League archetypes (Batman, Aquaman, Superman) twisted around a bit. If anything, some characters bore so much resemblance to their DC counterparts that I almost wonder if an early draft started at DC Universe fanfic.

To be clear, this is not a negative for me - my most recent scifi novel started off as Star Wars fanfic, after all - just something I noticed. The characters based on Bruce Wayne/Batman, Aquaman, and Superman were all fairly easy to spot. However, since they were mainly background characters (Alice/Dyspell was the focus) I was fine with that, and though Alice/Dyspell was a fun character.

I think I only have two real complaints - one, the head-hopping bothered me on a authorial level (there's a lot of it, even though the book isn't written omniscient) and, also, Gods, the character names!

In order, we have:

The protagonist: Alice
Her adopted niece: Allison
Her nemesis: Anna
Her employer: Alan
Her rival: Lotus (but whose real name turns out to be Aeka)

There's even a couple of spots where the A names get get swapped on accident (I assume typos) which added to my confusion. I was able to keep the characters straight, but it was a struggle.

Still, it was a fun take on the superhero genre. Thanks for the recommendation!