June 19, 2019, 04:45:38 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1658994 times)

Offline Peat

Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #12540 on: May 25, 2019, 05:52:05 PM »
Oh, and I'm reading Genevieve Cogman's The Invisible Library at the moment. Very promising start. Anybody who read the trilogy?

"I absolutely loved this...flavoured with truly unique mythology and a dash of the eldritch." - N.K. Jemisin

I tried it but didn't take to the author's voice; it's the same problem I had with Aaron's voice and Sanderson's and Brassey's, and I wish I could define it properly, but basically it's a bit too much concerned with 'things happening' and not enough with exploration of its ideas, served up with humour I don't particularly like and character tropes that seem a bit Hollywoody.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #12541 on: May 26, 2019, 04:12:41 AM »
Oh, and I'm reading Genevieve Cogman's The Invisible Library at the moment. Very promising start. Anybody who read the trilogy?

"I absolutely loved this...flavoured with truly unique mythology and a dash of the eldritch." - N.K. Jemisin

I tried it but didn't take to the author's voice; it's the same problem I had with Aaron's voice and Sanderson's and Brassey's, and I wish I could define it properly, but basically it's a bit too much concerned with 'things happening' and not enough with exploration of its ideas, served up with humour I don't particularly like and character tropes that seem a bit Hollywoody.
That was largely my experience with it. I also didn’t take to her MC.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Chrestomanci
  • Bookworm first, human second.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12542 on: May 26, 2019, 09:52:15 PM »
Reading A Memory Called Empire by Arkady Martine. Some of the names are a bit hard to remember, but it's got some of the best worldbuilding I've seen in a long time.

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #12543 on: May 27, 2019, 03:04:21 AM »
Finished A Natural History of Dragons. 3/5

It's very well-written and flows well, with a very curious premise. It starts really well, but then loses a lot of steam for over half the book. It seemed the dragons became secondary to the story, and if they were switched for anything else, like cars, aliens, guns, etc, it would essencially be the same: it was the story of Isabella challenging conventional norms because of her gender against the rules/customs of the time.

Not a problem, if wasn't that at the beginning, from the blurb to the prologue with Lady Trent, it seemed the book was promising The Lost World but really gave me Pride and Prejudice for a great deal. Even when the expedition begins, they unfortunately do pretty much nothing for a great deal of time.

But then the final third kicked in. I only wanted to read a chapter or two, but stayed until near 3 AM reading until the end. The mystery turned out to be really good, and some danger and action put more life into the story.
A little Deus Ex when:

Spoiler for Hiden:
The dragon comes exactly when they need it, it kills both villains and leaves without harming any of the main characters. Even Isabella was dumbfound by it. Yes, there are very lucky moments in life, but geez... Unfortunately, the characters admitting a Deus Ex doesn't make it any less deus exish.

I almost gave it a 4* solely for the final third, but then remembered that while it took me ~3 hours to read it, it took me near 3 weeks to read the other two thirds.
3,5 would be more fair, but 3* still means I liked it.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #12544 on: May 27, 2019, 03:51:58 AM »
I started Dracula by Bram Stoker.

I don't remember if I actually have read it before already, curiously.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Offline isos81

« Reply #12545 on: May 27, 2019, 07:31:13 AM »
Just finished Bloody Rose, about to start @Mark Lawrence 's Broken Empire :)
Currently Reading: Emperor of Thorns by Mark Lawrence

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12546 on: May 27, 2019, 08:26:50 AM »
, it seemed the book was promising The Lost World but really gave me Pride and Prejudice
@Lanko , that's a very good description - I don't think I ever thought about Lost World, though.
I'm glad that you liked the end part, that reassures me that I'm right in telling you to read the other books in the series. They will be a lot more about exploration, in each one Isabella will go to a different part of the world, and the adventures are super interesting!
 :)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #12547 on: May 27, 2019, 02:58:23 PM »
I finished The Stone Sky by N K Jemisin the other day. I think the way the story unfolded was pretty much inevitable after the second book, but it was nice to have the extra strand from the distant past filling in the background.

I've moved on to A Closed and Common Orbit by Becky Chambers, which is pre-requisite reading for the Hugos since the third book has been shortlisted, although I still haven't decided whether to sign up to vote. (I'm going to have to read Raven Stratagem in preparation for Revenant Gun, too. Will I even have time to read the actual shortlist before the end of July?)

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12548 on: May 27, 2019, 03:13:31 PM »
The Middler by Kirsty Applebaum
The Real Powers That Be

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #12549 on: May 28, 2019, 08:43:27 AM »
I'm reading this: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12545143/1/The-White-Wolf-of-Westeros. It's a Witcher 3 and Game of Thrones crossover that is quite true to both the game and tv show. It's pretty amazing so far!  :D

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #12550 on: May 29, 2019, 02:25:02 PM »
I've moved on to A Closed and Common Orbit by Becky Chambers, which is pre-requisite reading for the Hugos since the third book has been shortlisted, although I still haven't decided whether to sign up to vote. (I'm going to have to read Raven Stratagem in preparation for Revenant Gun, too. Will I even have time to read the actual shortlist before the end of July?)
Finished A Closed and Common Orbit yesterday. You know when you have a book for ages, but keep putting it off, and then you read it and really enjoy it and are annoyed with yourself for not reading it sooner? That. I did have a couple of science issues (the body kit is apparently more than 100% efficient), but they were minor.

Next is my KOLL book for May, We Ride the Storm by Devin Madson, another finalist from the recently-concluded SPFBO 4, ending up 3rd (joint 2nd? are there any rules for a tie-break?) I'm enjoying it so far. Weirdly, although I have read a handful of books from each year of SPFBO, I have yet to read a winner, even though I own all 4 of them.

Offline Rostum

« Reply #12551 on: May 29, 2019, 10:56:59 PM »
started Holy sister and Limited Wish arrived in all its hardback glory today.

Offline Nighteyes

• Ringbearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12552 on: May 31, 2019, 12:34:04 PM »
The Poison Song by Jen Williams (btw can someone please message me or put in spoiler threads a quick summary of where we are in the series. I remember most but can't remember how the last book left things.)
The Real Powers That Be

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12553 on: May 31, 2019, 01:00:58 PM »
The Poison Song by Jen Williams (btw can someone please message me or put in spoiler threads a quick summary of where we are in the series. I remember most but can't remember how the last book left things.)
@Nighteyes, I had the same problem, but I soon picked it up (I'll finish that one today!)

Spoiler for Hiden:
I think the key things is that Hestillion turned completely against the 'good guys', becoming a part of the Jurelia, including her war-beast. They also learnt that the Eborans are actually a failed trial by an alien race, instead of being the superior race that they always assumed. A fell-witch called Tyranny stole a war-beast pod, betraying our good guys who thought she had reformed. Also Nanthema, Vintage's old girlfriend, betrayed her by helping Tyranny steal the pod.
And now I can't remember which bits belong in which book anymore, sorry :-[
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Nighteyes

• Ringbearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12554 on: May 31, 2019, 01:27:55 PM »
@Nighteyes, I had the same problem, but I soon picked it up (I'll finish that one today!)

Spoiler for Hiden:
I think the key things is that Hestillion turned completely against the 'good guys', becoming a part of the Jurelia, including her war-beast. They also learnt that the Eborans are actually a failed trial by an alien race, instead of being the superior race that they always assumed. A fell-witch called Tyranny stole a war-beast pod, betraying our good guys who thought she had reformed. Also Nanthema, Vintage's old girlfriend, betrayed her by helping Tyranny steal the pod.
And now I can't remember which bits belong in which book anymore, sorry :-[

Thank you!!!
The Real Powers That Be