October 16, 2019, 05:56:41 AM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1769025 times)

Offline DrNefario

Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #12495 on: May 05, 2019, 11:45:02 AM »
I finished The Black Cauldron. Quite entertaining, but I feel the pacing's all off for an adult reader. Things happen very fast. I think that's why I strggled to remember book 1. You're meant to be reading it slower. Anyway, I should probably try to read the rest of the series before long.

I've moved on to Gentleman Jole and the Red Queen by Lois McMaster Bujold, the new Vorkosigan book from a couple of years ago that I probably should have read by now.

Offline Bender

« Reply #12496 on: May 06, 2019, 02:36:56 AM »
Fid's Crusade by David H Reiss. Picked it after the thread in small/self published section.

Loving it. It's like a mix of Iron Man, Despicable Me and The Incredibles rolled into one.

Will post a full review once I'm done.

Finished binge reading Books One (Fid's Crusade) and Two (Behind Distant Stars) and now Three (Starfall).

One of the most fun series I've read in recent memory. A super-villain noir that refreshingly is a new take on the genre. The writing style is crisp and pacy and keeps you engrossed from get go. The underlying caustic black humorous narrative of the protagonist make it all the more fun to read.

Highly recommended!
Not all those who wander are lost

Online isos81

« Reply #12497 on: May 08, 2019, 03:30:37 PM »
Hi all. I read Jemisin's Inheritance trilogy, and Broken Earth's first book. Started Sword of Shannara but dropped it.
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline dinogenetics

« Reply #12498 on: May 09, 2019, 07:21:54 PM »
Really enjoyed Robin Hobb's Assassin's Apprentice, so I immediately started Royal Assassin!

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12499 on: May 09, 2019, 08:06:29 PM »
Really enjoyed Robin Hobb's Assassin's Apprentice, so I immediately started Royal Assassin!
Oh boy, you're in for a treat: the whole 16 books are great :D
Although I warn you, the next trilogy is very different from the first - then it alternates the settings.

As for me, yesterday I finished Tchaikovsky's last book in the "Echoes of the fall" trilogy, The hyena and the hawk. It was quite an interesting book and a good twist of the plot: interesting the whole story behind the Plague People, and the power of stories and myth in the shaping of the world.
As with so many books, I wish there had been more book after the big battle, it wasn't the best of endings, for me.

I'll now start Anna Stephens' book 2, Darksoul.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 08:13:02 PM by ScarletBea »
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Online isos81

« Reply #12500 on: May 10, 2019, 04:37:35 PM »

I remember reading Farseer (first 3 books). It was not bad but not that great to continue reading the following books. I would give it a solid 6.5 / 10 :)

I do not know the reason why I could not get into Farseer's world, maybe I had high hopes and they were not met. Eventually, it was not a waste of time but I do not recommend it to anybody :)
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12501 on: May 10, 2019, 05:25:14 PM »

I remember reading Farseer (first 3 books). It was not bad but not that great to continue reading the following books. I would give it a solid 6.5 / 10 :)

I do not know the reason why I could not get into Farseer's world, maybe I had high hopes and they were not met. Eventually, it was not a waste of time but I do not recommend it to anybody :)
You know, the second trilogy, Liveship traders, is very different from the style of the first one, despite being set in the same world (both eventually meet in a later series). I actually preferred the second one, and made me continue with all the other books.
(pirates! live ships! strong women! :D)

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #12502 on: May 11, 2019, 02:41:45 AM »
I DNF'ed Cat's Cradle by Vonnugen and think will start A Natural History of Dragons by Marie Brennan.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12503 on: May 11, 2019, 09:09:08 AM »
think will start A Natural History of Dragons by Marie Brennan.
ooooo @Lanko, I think you'll really like that one!
(look @Nora, @Lady Ty, another one for the gang ;D)

I'm 70 pages into 'Darksoul' and talk about grimdark... I think there was one or two page of a slightly positive slant... (yes, I knew what I was getting into, hehe)

Offline Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Valheru
  • Bookworm first, human second.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12504 on: May 11, 2019, 04:44:01 PM »
Oh boy, you're in for a treat: the whole 16 books are great :D
Although I warn you, the next trilogy is very different from the first - then it alternates the settings.

As for me, yesterday I finished Tchaikovsky's last book in the "Echoes of the fall" trilogy, The hyena and the hawk. It was quite an interesting book and a good twist of the plot: interesting the whole story behind the Plague People, and the power of stories and myth in the shaping of the world.
As with so many books, I wish there had been more book after the big battle, it wasn't the best of endings, for me.

I'll now start Anna Stephens' book 2, Darksoul.

I'm with you on the ending @ScarletBea Though that's largely because I was rooting for the Plague People. Have you read Tchaikovsky's Shadows of the Apt series?

Spoiler for Hiden:
The Plague People are the main protagonists. Though it's never advertised as such, Echoes of the Fall is sort of a sequel trilogy to Shadows of the Apt.
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12505 on: May 11, 2019, 05:09:44 PM »

I'm with you on the ending @ScarletBea Though that's largely because I was rooting for the Plague People. Have you read Tchaikovsky's Shadows of the Apt series?

Spoiler for Hiden:
The Plague People are the main protagonists. Though it's never advertised as such, Echoes of the Fall is sort of a sequel trilogy to Shadows of the Apt.
Oh, no I didn't, I thought that was more sci-fi and spiders (not appealling :o )

Offline Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Valheru
  • Bookworm first, human second.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12506 on: May 11, 2019, 05:27:12 PM »

Spoiler for Hiden:
Oh, no I didn't, I thought that was more sci-fi and spiders (not appealling :o )

Shadows of the Apt is more a high fantasy/steampunk where humans have merged with various insects. Children of Time is the sci-fi spider one. Tchaikovsky does love spiders.
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12507 on: May 11, 2019, 05:35:14 PM »
Ah ok, I was confusing them, then. No spiders for me, please
Spoiler for Hiden:
even the final bit when the plague people Step into insects created far too nasty images in my brain brrrrrr :'(

Offline Rostum

« Reply #12508 on: May 11, 2019, 10:10:06 PM »
started Abbadons Gate on kindle having finished the second book

Offline Bender

« Reply #12509 on: May 12, 2019, 12:59:35 AM »
Finished Kings of the Wyld.

Loved the world and writing style, but not the simplistic plot. The lighter tone is mixed exceptionally well with poignant and heavy stuff. Delightful.

The characters are etched really well, but none of them make a lasting impression. There is a distinct lack of depth in the book despite having good material however the author has chosen a lighter way of handling things.

Great adventure book.

6/10.
Not all those who wander are lost