May 23, 2019, 12:09:51 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1629010 times)

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #12420 on: March 30, 2019, 01:41:41 AM »
finished Futuristic Violence and Fancy Suits was pretty meh.

Started Meddling Kids by Edgar Cantero probably the best Grimdark Scoobie Doo parody I have ever read.
@ScarletBea add it to you light reading list I think you will enjoy.
Meddling Kids was great. Took a chance in that and was glad I did.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12421 on: March 30, 2019, 09:11:05 AM »
We need a separate Malazan thread .
@Bender, we have lots!

http://fantasy-faction.com/forum/deadhouse-gates-(malazan-book-of-the-fallen-ii)-by-steven-erikson/

That's where I've been posting all my thoughts on the recently read books (1-5 so far)

I've now finally started reading The tiger and the wolf, Adrian Tchaikovsky. I got this one at a charity shop a few months ago, but it had been left behind in my unread pile...
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 09:13:39 AM by ScarletBea »
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Saraband

• Haggis eater, fantasy scribbler and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Geeky Reading (and Writing) Introvert
    • View Profile
    • BrawBlether
« Reply #12422 on: March 30, 2019, 10:14:39 AM »

I've now finally started reading The tiger and the wolf, Adrian Tchaikovsky. I got this one at a charity shop a few months ago, but it had been left behind in my unread pile...

Really enjoyed that trilogy  :)
https://brawblether.com

"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

"Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love." - Robert Burns

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #12423 on: March 31, 2019, 03:55:34 AM »
I was like page 100 something through Last Argument of KIngs when my curiosity got the better of me and I decided to just flipped through to the end of the book. For a while now, I had the feeling that the ending wasn't going to be good, and boy how I was right. Thus end my journey through one of the most disappointing series I've ever read, which made me wonder why did I even bothered to slog through book 1 in the first place. With authors that are determined to shit at everyone of their character's life there are no happy ways out, I guess. 

Online Peat

« Reply #12424 on: March 31, 2019, 10:44:29 AM »
We need a separate Malazan thread .
@Bender, we have lots!

http://fantasy-faction.com/forum/deadhouse-gates-(malazan-book-of-the-fallen-ii)-by-steven-erikson/

That's where I've been posting all my thoughts on the recently read books (1-5 so far)

I got one of the later books in the series on a kindle sale once upon a time, flicked through a few pages, then decided I was intrigued enough to read the whole thing in order so I've been waiting until I could find this book cheap/library for a while, so curious to see how it goes
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12425 on: March 31, 2019, 12:39:51 PM »
Black Leopard, Red Wolf by Marlon James.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 10:10:50 PM by Nighteyes »
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #12426 on: March 31, 2019, 09:36:39 PM »
I was like page 100 something through Last Argument of KIngs when my curiosity got the better of me and I decided to just flipped through to the end of the book. For a while now, I had the feeling that the ending wasn't going to be good, and boy how I was right. Thus end my journey through one of the most disappointing series I've ever read, which made me wonder why did I even bothered to slog through book 1 in the first place. With authors that are determined to shit at everyone of their character's life there are no happy ways out, I guess.
The ending was deliberately ambiguous. Personally, I loved it, but to each their own.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #12427 on: April 01, 2019, 09:59:50 AM »
I have just started Theft of Swords (Riyria Revelations 1), and it had been amazing so far. Looking forword to see how this functional duo will further get themselves in troubles, hahah.  ;D

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #12428 on: April 01, 2019, 01:23:13 PM »
The ending was deliberately ambiguous. Personally, I loved it, but to each their own.
I didn't love the ending of The First Law at the time, but I have since come to the conclusion that it is the right ending. And it's also important to set up the standalones, which I think I generally like more. (I think of it as a John Le Carre ending.)

Online Bender

« Reply #12429 on: April 01, 2019, 03:38:14 PM »
Just started The Dragonbone Chair, Book 1 of Memory, Sorrow and Thorn series by Tad Williams.

Hopefully will finish this before Holy Sister gets released here.
Not all those who wander are lost

Offline Rostum

« Reply #12430 on: April 01, 2019, 07:01:09 PM »
Finished Meddling kids a marvellous read with surprisingly good prose. The action scenes let it down mildly but overall a great and compelling read if a little lighter than I tend to go for.

Will start A pest of a boy on Kindle by PF Chisholm and The Cold Commands by Richard Morgan as a real book.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 07:11:01 PM by Rostum »

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #12431 on: April 04, 2019, 09:28:53 AM »
I've just finished Supremacy's Bounty by some fellow called Bakutis. Awful, absolutely awful book that was no fun at all.  In fact, it's so awful you should all read it when it comes out to find out just how awful!!!

(It's actually really, really good)

The Traitor God & God of Broken Things

Offline ZeroEcho99

« Reply #12432 on: April 04, 2019, 03:13:47 PM »
The Written by Ben Galley.

Halfway thru and not half bad actually. 

Offline Rostum

« Reply #12433 on: April 04, 2019, 04:44:58 PM »
Finished a pest of a book and a boy in trouble by PF chisholm/Patricia Finney and both were very good short historical fiction. I found One Word Kill was free on my kindle so read far later into the morning than I should have done. Marks writing is excellent as ever. I found the description of a 1980's Oncology ward was depressingly real.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 06:58:43 AM by Rostum »

Online Bender

« Reply #12434 on: April 04, 2019, 10:22:47 PM »
Put Dragonbone Chair on hold for now.

Latest Expanse book, Tiamats Wrath is out. On it like flies on a turd.
Not all those who wander are lost