July 21, 2019, 03:38:19 AM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1692392 times)

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #12360 on: March 04, 2019, 06:45:05 PM »
I just finished The Infernal Battalion by Django Wexler. Overall, I thought it was a satisfying conclusion to the series, and it left me in a good mood.
Felt the same. :)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline JRTroughton

« Reply #12361 on: March 04, 2019, 08:24:50 PM »
The Poppy War.

A very good start. Can't wait to see what all the hype has been about!

Offline ZeroEcho99

« Reply #12362 on: March 05, 2019, 08:47:51 AM »
Just finished The Ember Blade by Chris Wooding.  First book of his I've read and thoroughly enjoyed it albeit with a slow start.

Now onto Never Die by Rob J. Hayes.

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #12363 on: March 05, 2019, 01:18:13 PM »
I finished Europe at Dawn (Fractured Europe #4) by Dave Hutchinson (I decided to be good and finish the old series rather than start the new one). I enjoyed it a lot, although I wouldn't say it was especially more conclusive than book 3, which I had thought was the end of the series until this one appeared. It's more fun spy nonsense, and I'd say there's a good case to put it on the fantasy side of the spec-fic line. Hutchinson's real gift, though, is the characters.

Next is going to be Blackwing, as I mentioned last time.

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #12364 on: March 07, 2019, 11:30:43 AM »
Finished Calamity (last book of the Reckoners). I was about to comment that this book didn't have as much things happening as I'd liked, but it turned out to have a damned awesome ending.
Also totally love the fact what happened to Prof in the end, he is definitely one of my favorite characters from the start and I pitied the things he had to go through and his enormous struggle with his own powers.

There was a rather cheesy-ish part at the end though, haha (a stylized "S" symbol on the chest of a superhero who could fly and shoot laser beams? Wonder where they heard that from).   ;D

Offline Bender

« Reply #12365 on: March 07, 2019, 05:14:27 PM »
Finished Calamity (last book of the Reckoners). I was about to comment that this book didn't have as much things happening as I'd liked, but it turned out to have a damned awesome ending.
Also totally love the fact what happened to Prof in the end, he is definitely one of my favorite characters from the start and I pitied the things he had to go through and his enormous struggle with his own powers.

There was a rather cheesy-ish part at the end though, haha (a stylized "S" symbol on the chest of a superhero who could fly and shoot laser beams? Wonder where they heard that from).   ;D

It's a very good but underrated series. Excellent premise. They really should make a grittier version of the book probably a Grimdark version.
Not all those who wander are lost

Offline Bender

« Reply #12366 on: March 07, 2019, 05:15:49 PM »
Finished Kellanved's Reach, the last book of PtA trilogy.

Disappointing as it read like a preview of a book rather than book itself. Author tried to cover too many events diluting everything.
Not all those who wander are lost

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Needs a Cheesy Quest Fantasy baa-aadly
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #12367 on: March 07, 2019, 06:42:18 PM »
I'm currently working on four books. I've been making a concerted effort to read more and more indie titles. It started as a desire to see what's doing well in self-published fantasy to help with my own efforts. The surprising part is how much I'm enjoying most of them. Many of them don't quite have the polish of trade-published titles, but there's a lot of great storytelling out there.

Dragon Bond by D.K. Holmberg. This is the fourth book in a series that I'm really enjoying.

Storm Glass by Jeff Wheeler. I'm only a little bit into it so far, and I'm not exactly sure where the story is going, but it's pretty good.

Valley of Embers by Steven Kelliher. I'm enjoying this one as well. I'm not very far yet, so I can't pass much of a judgment.

Child of the Daystar by Bryce O'Connor. It started out slow, but I'm just getting to the part where I think the story is really going to take off.

Offline E.Trax

« Reply #12368 on: March 07, 2019, 07:02:59 PM »
Currently just restarting the Valhalla Saga by Snorri Kristjansson.  I started reading it, but got sidetracked by Bernard Cornwell...  so here we are again.

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #12369 on: March 08, 2019, 06:43:55 AM »
I'm finally continuing with The Blade Itself which I have started in, wow, October? (can't believe it's been 5 months hahah  ;D). I kept putting it off to read books I felt more interested in, and saved it for when my studies became hard and I won't have that much time/ enjoyment in reading. Got back to it last night and felt it was better than I gave it credit for.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12370 on: March 08, 2019, 08:04:12 AM »
Got back to it last night and felt it was better than I gave it credit for.
I'm a firm believer in timing when it gets to enjoy a book more or less: the same way that sometimes when you re-read a book, it doesn't feel as good, some that weren't 'working' the first time round get much better later.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Saraband

• Haggis eater, fantasy scribbler and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Geeky Reading (and Writing) Introvert
    • View Profile
    • BrawBlether
« Reply #12371 on: March 09, 2019, 02:21:02 PM »
Reading Terry Pratchett's Feet of Clay. Some absolute gems in here, for these extreme political times we're navigating. I wish he was still here.
https://brawblether.com

"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

"Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love." - Robert Burns

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12372 on: March 09, 2019, 03:35:30 PM »
Got back to it last night and felt it was better than I gave it credit for.
I'm a firm believer in timing when it gets to enjoy a book more or less: the same way that sometimes when you re-read a book, it doesn't feel as good, some that weren't 'working' the first time round get much better later.
As if to prove this, I'm stil re-reading Red Sister and enjoying it much more this time!
And even though I read it about 2 years ago, I'd forgotten most of it :-[
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #12373 on: March 12, 2019, 01:09:39 PM »
I finished Blackwing by Ed McDonald. It took me a while to get going, as a minor illness was wiping out my reading time, but I really enjoyed it. A bit of a different setting. The sequel has gone on my wishlist, although I think the book stands pretty well alone.

Back to SF next. I've started Agent of Change by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller, the first (published) Liaden novel, which is probably still available from the Baen Free Library. I've got a few more books in this series, and though it was about time I figured out if I liked it. I decided to go for publication order rather than chronological.

Offline ZeroEcho99

« Reply #12374 on: March 13, 2019, 12:49:53 PM »
Finished Never Die by Rob J. Hayes and it was a fantastic read.  Brilliant characters and an engaging storyline kept me engrossed and I rattled through it in a couple of days.

Now onto The Priory of the Orange Tree by Samantha Shannon - high hopes for this one!