June 19, 2019, 10:41:28 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1659594 times)

Online DrNefario

Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #12315 on: February 12, 2019, 10:27:07 PM »
I've moved on to Trinity Rising (Wild Hunt #2) by Elspeth Cooper. I can't totally remember what happened in book 1, to be honest, but this seems to be following different leads so far. I'm hoping this will be my last book for the reddit fantasy bingo, but that does depend on some mountains turning up.
Was the fourth (and last?) part ever published? I need to check. It's been ages since I read those books.
No, she's still writing it. Apparently she's got serious health issues and stopped for a long time, but she's better and back :)
This was another series that I thought was a trilogy until halfway through reading book 3, hehe
Well, I've checked my records, and apparently I read book 1 in January 2015, so at my current pace she has 8 years before I start worrying about book 4. :)

Offline Peat

« Reply #12316 on: February 12, 2019, 10:46:03 PM »
So I picked Shadow's Edge off the floor and forgave Elene and Kylar by skimming the problem chapters made it nearly to the end... and Logan made me throw the book across the room and vow not to finish it.

So I finally got around to reading more of The Blade Itself.  It's really enjoyable, but I also know what happens and I'm not sure I can emotionally invest in a bunch of awful people who I know will continue to be awful and disappointing through the end of the trilogy. If I didn't know what was going to happen, I'd love the Bayaz and Logan chapters.  All the Union stuff is just agonizing, Jezal is somehow more tortuous than Glotka, but they're both pretty sickening.

That made me crave some good old fashioned high fantasy good-and-evil so I picked up A Memory of Light for like the 900th time while sitting on a cozy chair in the Last Bookstore on Sunday.  It's been so long so I reread quite a bit before I got to new stuff.  I'm easily to the halfway point now.  I think it's been long enough that the differences in the characters (and the world itself) don't seem so glaringly painful.  But it *is* weird to be subjected to what amounts to exclusively military fiction after, you know, 15 books of sword and sorcery/political intrigue. I mean the politics is still there... it's just not intriguing. It really just feels like the gamification of story elements and I find myself wanting desperately to skip entire chapters because they are so painfully boring to me. War blah blah blah.  But I didn't find it as painful as the last few times I tried to read it so that's progress!

I've also got Leigh Bardugo's Six of Crows sitting on my shelf so i might abandon all these half-read books and read that next.

First off, you're exactly right about how Memory of Light is a big pace change from all the books before; I'm not a fan of that pace change either.

As for The Blade Itself... I sympathise. Jezal sits in about the one category of character I object to being asked to empathise with, that being narcissistic snobs lacking in self-awareness. I can enjoy Glokta - actually I really enjoy Glokta - because he has self-awareness and irony. But with foreknowledge, its not for everyone. Works a lot better when you don't know.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Alex

« Reply #12317 on: February 13, 2019, 10:31:09 AM »
Currently reading The Binding by Bridget Collins. Really interesting premise and the writing is good. Apparently she's written YA before and this is her first adult novel. I'm enjoying it!

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #12318 on: February 13, 2019, 12:04:38 PM »
So I picked Shadow's Edge off the floor and forgave Elene and Kylar by skimming the problem chapters made it nearly to the end... and Logan made me throw the book across the room and vow not to finish it.

So I finally got around to reading more of The Blade Itself.  It's really enjoyable, but I also know what happens and I'm not sure I can emotionally invest in a bunch of awful people who I know will continue to be awful and disappointing through the end of the trilogy. If I didn't know what was going to happen, I'd love the Bayaz and Logan chapters.  All the Union stuff is just agonizing, Jezal is somehow more tortuous than Glotka, but they're both pretty sickening.

That made me crave some good old fashioned high fantasy good-and-evil so I picked up A Memory of Light for like the 900th time while sitting on a cozy chair in the Last Bookstore on Sunday.  It's been so long so I reread quite a bit before I got to new stuff.  I'm easily to the halfway point now.  I think it's been long enough that the differences in the characters (and the world itself) don't seem so glaringly painful.  But it *is* weird to be subjected to what amounts to exclusively military fiction after, you know, 15 books of sword and sorcery/political intrigue. I mean the politics is still there... it's just not intriguing. It really just feels like the gamification of story elements and I find myself wanting desperately to skip entire chapters because they are so painfully boring to me. War blah blah blah.  But I didn't find it as painful as the last few times I tried to read it so that's progress!

I've also got Leigh Bardugo's Six of Crows sitting on my shelf so i might abandon all these half-read books and read that next.

First off, you're exactly right about how Memory of Light is a big pace change from all the books before; I'm not a fan of that pace change either.

As for The Blade Itself... I sympathise. Jezal sits in about the one category of character I object to being asked to empathise with, that being narcissistic snobs lacking in self-awareness. I can enjoy Glokta - actually I really enjoy Glokta - because he has self-awareness and irony. But with foreknowledge, its not for everyone. Works a lot better when you don't know.

I think your decision to not finish Shadow's Edge is wise, Bradley  ;D. As for the First Law trilogy, I seriously couldn't understand the high praises so many other people have given it, since it is by far one of the dullest series I've ever read. Several months back, I made it halfway through The Blade Itself and have tried at least a dozen times since then to pick it up, only to switch to reading other books instead. I also had these seriously annoying issues about Abercrombie's writing style, the whole book seemed like a stage-play or an RPG script than an actual novel. The use of exclamation marks at the end of almost all of the dialogues seriously bugged me too.

Offline Peat

« Reply #12319 on: February 13, 2019, 02:33:44 PM »
See, I like Abercrombie's writing style. I really like Best Served Cold. Funny how it goes.

Anyhoo, just finished De Bodard's House of Shattered Wings. I love her writing style and ideas, but her storytelling just doesn't jive right for me; I thought this book opened slow and ended quick. Bit in the middle was magnificent though.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Rostum

« Reply #12320 on: February 16, 2019, 04:07:20 PM »
Finished John Dies at the end a nasty twisted and probably damaging book written in a light-hearted manner. This book is full of spiders goes on the TBR pile.

Started The Written by Ben Galley and finding it hard to engage and annoyed by stuff a decent edit would have sorted out. I have not read any of Ben's work previously and probably should have picked Chasing Graves or Heart of stone as the concept for both books.

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #12321 on: February 16, 2019, 09:33:09 PM »
Still reading Kushiel's Dart, because it's a thick book and I don't have much reading time.

It's full of court intrigue and sex.
I wouldn't have thought that a book with a masochistic courtesan as the MC would find a publisher but there you go.
It's a really good book if what I said above isn't a turn off for you.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Online Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #12322 on: February 16, 2019, 10:06:59 PM »
Finished John Dies at the end a nasty twisted and probably damaging book written in a light-hearted manner. This book is full of spiders goes on the TBR pile.

Started The Written by Ben Galley and finding it hard to engage and annoyed by stuff a decent edit would have sorted out. I have not read any of Ben's work previously and probably should have picked Chasing Graves or Heart of stone as the concept for both books.
I really enjoyed John Dies at the End, but felt that This Book is Full of Spiders was actually better if not quite as out there.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Rostum

« Reply #12323 on: February 17, 2019, 07:01:23 AM »
I really enjoyed John Dies at the End, but felt that This Book is Full of Spiders was actually better if not quite as out there

Good to know.

Starting the feed because you can never have enough dystopian futures.

Online Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #12324 on: February 17, 2019, 10:24:58 AM »
I really enjoyed John Dies at the End, but felt that This Book is Full of Spiders was actually better if not quite as out there

Good to know.

Starting the feed because you can never have enough dystopian futures.
Is that the Mira Grant? Great book. I call it the zombie book for people that don’t normally read zombie books.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Rostum

« Reply #12325 on: February 17, 2019, 04:18:10 PM »
The Feed is about information overload and what happens when it goes away. It's by Nick Clark Windo.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Feed-chilling-dystopian-page-turner-explode-ebook/dp/B06XRL6HDG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1550420172&sr=8-1&keywords=the+feed

I have read Feed trilogy by Mira Grant along with the various other stories in the same world and am inclined to agree with you. The last time I loaned out a copy it was returned as the reader had a nightmare after reading to page 40.

Online DrNefario

« Reply #12326 on: February 18, 2019, 01:18:28 PM »
I've moved on to Trinity Rising (Wild Hunt #2) by Elspeth Cooper. I can't totally remember what happened in book 1, to be honest, but this seems to be following different leads so far. I'm hoping this will be my last book for the reddit fantasy bingo, but that does depend on some mountains turning up.
I finished Trinity Rising yesterday, and really enjoyed it, after a rocky start, although it is a bit of an oddly-structured book. We don't catch up with the lead from book one until quite far into the book. It's mostly the story of a new character, which doesn't have much of an arc in this volume, and just kind of ends in the middle of a journey. The climax and cliffhanger relate to the book 1 protagonist who we've hardly seen. I did enjoy it, though, and will definitely read the next one. And will cross my fingers that the last part is done before I miss it.

Next up for me is some historical fiction, The Black Prince by Adam Roberts, based on a screenplay by Anthony Burgess. I crowdfunded this back in 2017, and it came out last year. This kind of makes it the most expensive book I've bought in years, so I hope I like it. (Although, in the grand scheme of things, still not all that much money - I've wasted way more on unplayed videogames.)

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #12327 on: February 18, 2019, 01:48:13 PM »
I've just finished Thunderhead (Arcs of a Scythe #2), and holy hell, this is seriously one of the greatest book and sequel I've ever read. With that ending, I definitely am in a dire need for a sequel, otherwise I'd travel to neal Shusterman's house and ram on his front door demanding to get it myself.

Frankly the best YA and one of the most original stories I've ever read, and I'd wholeheartedly recommend this to anyone at all. It's the only YA series, and one of the extremely few series where I gave 5 stars for two consecutive books, and that is saying quite a lot.  :D

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #12328 on: February 18, 2019, 08:56:13 PM »
I've just finished Thunderhead (Arcs of a Scythe #2), and holy hell, this is seriously one of the greatest book and sequel I've ever read. With that ending, I definitely am in a dire need for a sequel, otherwise I'd travel to neal Shusterman's house and ram on his front door demanding to get it myself.

Frankly the best YA and one of the most original stories I've ever read, and I'd wholeheartedly recommend this to anyone at all. It's the only YA series, and one of the extremely few series where I gave 5 stars for two consecutive books, and that is saying quite a lot.  :D

Well now you have me curious. I don't read much YA, but your strong recommendation may make me check this one out.

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #12329 on: February 20, 2019, 12:13:36 AM »

Well now you have me curious. I don't read much YA, but your strong recommendation may make me check this one out.

It's definitely worth it. The first book may started off a bit like a typical YA-ish, but once the scythe training started off, things only gets better and better.  :D