April 03, 2020, 07:39:39 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1926410 times)

Offline Rostum

Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #12285 on: January 22, 2019, 01:25:58 PM »
Finished lost in a good book and started The Labyrinth Index by Charles Stross.

Lost in a good book resolved nothing except why everything in the world is not dream topping. This is the 9th Stross book in the series and I am still reading it will be good.

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #12286 on: January 23, 2019, 06:54:06 AM »
Just started Blood Song by Anthony Ryan. I thought this was gonna be an almost non-fantasy boring templar story kind of stuff, but after the first chapter it became much better than I thought. I love Vaelin's character (his cool, calm demeanor) in general, and the other friends in his Sixth Watch squad as well.  :D

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #12287 on: January 23, 2019, 03:30:15 PM »
Just stared The Bastard Legion by Gavin G Smith - a penal barge is hijacked by ex-special forces  and all the inmates are given explosive collars and forced to become a mercenary legion. So far so good: exciting and fast-paced fun.

The Traitor God & God of Broken Things

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12288 on: January 24, 2019, 07:59:41 AM »
I started Erikson's Midnight Tides (Malazan 5) last week, but with travel and this and that, I feel I only started reading it properly yesterday.
See you in a month, hehe
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #12289 on: January 24, 2019, 01:30:11 PM »
I finished Rhapsody in Black (Hooded Swan #2) by Brian Stableford last night. Not so much a space adventure after all - it was all on one planet and almost entirely underground - but was an OK quick read. I mainly only read it as a non-fantasy spacer between bigger books.

Speaking of which, next up is Banewreaker (Sundering #1) by Jacqueline Carey. I don't know much about this, but I think it will fit one of my two remaining Reddit Bingo squares. Finishing off the bingo is my main focus at the moment, but that doesn't mean I'm going to break my rule of not reading the same genre back-to-back, hence the short non-fantasy books.

Offline Jeni

« Reply #12290 on: January 27, 2019, 01:39:18 AM »
This week I will mostly be ...

listening to Jasper FForde's Early Riser ...(slow start but it's getting better and I find the Welsh accent quite relaxing to listen to)

and reading Ben Aaronovitch's  Whispers Underground

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #12291 on: January 30, 2019, 01:06:33 PM »
Speaking of which, next up is Banewreaker (Sundering #1) by Jacqueline Carey. I don't know much about this, but I think it will fit one of my two remaining Reddit Bingo squares.
This is quite interesting - it seems to be fantasy from the bad guys' point of view, including a prophecy they are trying to thwart - but I'm not getting through it very quickly.

Offline Saraband

• Haggis eater, fantasy scribbler and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Geeky Reading (and Writing) Introvert
    • View Profile
    • BrawBlether
« Reply #12292 on: January 31, 2019, 08:46:05 AM »
Finished The Dispossessed (amazing book, one of the few that even before I finished, I was thinking it deserved a reread because there is so much there), and also read volume 9 of the Saga comics (authors doing an hiatus from this series, so it may take a while until we see the next one  :'( ).

I'll be reading Hings next, a short-story compilation from a Scottish author, perhaps simultaneously with another sci-fi that my partner read and has been insisting that I do to, Yoon Ha Lee's Ninefox Gambit.
https://brawblether.com

"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

"Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love." - Robert Burns

Offline Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Valheru
  • Bookworm first, human second.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12293 on: February 01, 2019, 03:20:36 PM »
I'm completing my goal of wrapping up a few series by reading I Only Killed Him Once, by Adam Christopher. A great little mix-up of Raymond Chandler and Atompunk.
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Needs a Cheesy Quest Fantasy baa-aadly
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #12294 on: February 03, 2019, 06:28:49 AM »
Currently, I'm working on:

Skyward by Brandon Sanderson. I'm enjoying it, but it's not gripping me the way Sanderson's books usually do. Maybe it's the fact that I don't like science fiction as much as fantasy.

The Heartstone Blade by D.K. Holmberg. I read the first in this series a while back and really enjoyed it, so I decided to pick this one up. It's good but not amazing.

Unsouled by Will Wight. I've loved the first two books of his Traveler's Gate trilogy (still need to read the third). This one's good, but I'm not far enough into it yet for a final verdict.

Child of the Daystar by Bryce O'Connor. This one's taking a while to capture my attention. I enjoy the author's style, but the story's a bit slow so far.

Offline dinogenetics

« Reply #12295 on: February 04, 2019, 01:52:58 PM »
I started Skyfarer by Joseph Brassey over the weekend!

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #12296 on: February 04, 2019, 04:30:04 PM »
Speaking of which, next up is Banewreaker (Sundering #1) by Jacqueline Carey. I don't know much about this, but I think it will fit one of my two remaining Reddit Bingo squares.
This is quite interesting - it seems to be fantasy from the bad guys' point of view, including a prophecy they are trying to thwart - but I'm not getting through it very quickly.
I finished Banewreaker by Jacqueline Carey yesterday. It was interesting, and I'm fairly keen to see how it plays out, but I didn't love it. Also, it seemed like book 1 just kind of stopped. I don't know if it was meant to be one volume and got split for practical reasons, or what. Carey does a decent job of making the "bad guys" sympathetic, and quite a good job of making the "good guys" seem unreasonable, but that kind of meant I didn't really connect with anyone.

I've started Columbus Day by Craig Alanson, the first in a long series of self-published military SF. This was my January KOLL loan and I'm hoping it will be a quick spacer between long fantasy novels. So far it seems OK.

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #12297 on: February 04, 2019, 06:58:19 PM »

YES! I promote Brassey's books whenever I can. I adored Skyfarer and it's sequel, Dragon Road. Hoping you dig them as much as I did. :)

Offline Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Valheru
  • Bookworm first, human second.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12298 on: February 04, 2019, 07:29:35 PM »
I'm about halfway through The Lost Puzzler by Eyal Kless. It's post-apocalyptic with a slight fantasy styling to it. No magic, but there's a lot of 'lost' technology, and cyborgs called Trolls. Definitely one of the best books of the year so far.
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Offline dinogenetics

« Reply #12299 on: February 04, 2019, 09:26:53 PM »

YES! I promote Brassey's books whenever I can. I adored Skyfarer and it's sequel, Dragon Road. Hoping you dig them as much as I did. :)

Really liking it so far. Think I'm going to have to reread it almost immediately... there's so much detail in a short amount of space!!