October 23, 2018, 04:22:38 AM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1453303 times)

Offline Slaykomimi

Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #12015 on: October 02, 2018, 10:53:23 PM »
today I started with The Oxford Book of Japanese Short Stories. My uncle borrowed me his copy from the 90s but it is allready so frail that I am too scared to use it, so I ordered my own one.
Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind.

-Edward d. Morrison

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • ridiculously obscure is my super power.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12016 on: October 03, 2018, 12:06:33 PM »
@Slaykomimi , That book sounds interesting.
I’m a big fan of Japanese art (https://shinhangagallery.com), movies, Studio Ghibli, but haven’t read much. (The Sound of Waves is a lovely book.)

Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline Rostum

« Reply #12017 on: October 03, 2018, 02:05:57 PM »
Finished Bloody Rose Started Grey Bastards. Do I get a profanity combo?

Offline Alex Hormann

« Reply #12018 on: October 03, 2018, 03:43:19 PM »
Finished The Wolf last night. Niggles aside, a very strong book, though there is one thing that really annoyed me:

Spoiler for Hiden:

About halfway through there is a pivotal battle, but it's skipped over entirely. At the end of one chapter they are marching to the battlefield, then at the beginning of the next they've returned home. Considering a major character was killed off, I'd have like to see it in more detail than just the brief recounting later given at a feast.

Next up on my list is the similarly titled White Wolf by David Gemmell. I read this a few years ago, but now I have found a copy that isn't missing its last page, so I can get the whole story.  ::)

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #12019 on: October 05, 2018, 01:17:19 PM »
I finished Teranesia by Greg Egan last night. A mostly good SF tale about mysteriously mutated wildlife in remote parts of Indonesia, but I didn't think it stuck the landing.

That was the 50th and last book in my chronological SF challenge (1950-1999), which I've been working on for 4 years, starting with Galactic Patrol by EE "Doc" Smith back in early 2015. It's nice to be done with it, and I now have no remaining SF commitments at all, having finished my other long-term challenge (BSFA winners) a couple of months ago.

I've moved on to Death March by Phil Tucker. His entry into the newish LitRPG subgenre. It's kind of light, but I'm really motoring through it.

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #12020 on: October 07, 2018, 04:09:23 PM »
I've finished Death March without even giving anyone else chance to post. :) I might get the second one as this month's KOLL loan.

For now, though, I've gone on to another short book, A Calculated Life by Anne Charnock. This is SF. It seems to about a genetically-engineered statistician.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12021 on: October 07, 2018, 04:28:05 PM »
I finished The Power, by Naomi Alderman - what a book!!! :o :o

It tells the story of the events happening around the world when one day women get a natural ability to give electric shocks.
Where do men fit it?
How are things changing?
Throughout the book we realise that people are people, that women aren't "soft" and men "evil", and it really messes up your mind completely. There are some really uncomfortable scenes that really make you think how women live in certain parts of the world, next door, what is considered normal.

From the ackknowledgements Naomi talked with Margaret Atwood and Ursula Le Guin while writing the book, just to give you an idea of the support this had.

Honestly, everyone should read this and think.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12022 on: October 07, 2018, 04:53:20 PM »
I finished The Power, by Naomi Alderman - what a book!!! :o :o

It tells the story of the events happening around the world when one day women get a natural ability to give electric shocks.
Where do men fit it?
How are things changing?
Throughout the book we realise that people are people, that women aren't "soft" and men "evil", and it really messes up your mind completely. There are some really uncomfortable scenes that really make you think how women live in certain parts of the world, next door, what is considered normal.

From the ackknowledgements Naomi talked with Margaret Atwood and Ursula Le Guin while writing the book, just to give you an idea of the support this had.

Honestly, everyone should read this and think.

JMacksdotter read that book too, and also found it disturbing and compelling.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #12023 on: October 08, 2018, 10:35:20 AM »
I'm reading Warbreaker. I was just thinking that Denth and Tonk Fah are definitely one of the most humorous duo and lovable duo in fantasy when that acene came up.
I'm tired of things like these, to be honest.  :(
Can't books these days be wholesome and humorous anymore? I avoided grimdark because of this, but end up meeting it all the same.  :-\ 

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12024 on: October 08, 2018, 11:14:09 AM »
I'm reading Warbreaker. I was just thinking that Denth and Tonk Fah are definitely one of the most humorous duo and lovable duo in fantasy when that acene came up.
Can't books these days be wholesome and humorous anymore? I avoided grimdark because of this, but end up meeting it all the same.  :-\
oh, I love Warbreaker. I hope you don’t give up on it. I found it worthwhile in every way. Even in spite of that scene.

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #12025 on: October 08, 2018, 01:17:35 PM »
I don't even remember it. I must be desensitized.

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #12026 on: October 08, 2018, 02:11:17 PM »
I've finished off the 9th of the Alex Verus series and started reading Priest of Bones by Peter McLean - dark as pitch and as entertaining as the godfather.

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #12027 on: October 08, 2018, 07:35:53 PM »
Me neither.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12028 on: October 08, 2018, 08:14:09 PM »
Me neither.
Nor me... but then again I've read that ages ago
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #12029 on: October 09, 2018, 09:04:37 AM »
oh, I love Warbreaker. I hope you don’t give up on it. I found it worthwhile in every way. Even in spite of that scene.

It's alright. I like the story enough that I'm going forward to the end. I'll just put the grimdarks I've purchased on hold for now and screened the other books first before I start reading them. Life sucks enough as it is, I don't need to feel stressed out during my break time too, that's all.