April 06, 2020, 11:11:03 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1931782 times)

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #11685 on: May 08, 2018, 11:21:36 PM »
We spend the whole day here: https://www.vabali.de/online/en/ and I managed to read the first 215 pages of City of Miracles. :)

(Linus was away with his kindergarten.)

What a miracle. I’d have been fast asleep with all that relaxing spa-ness.  ;)
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #11686 on: May 09, 2018, 04:24:04 AM »
I picked City of Blades back up. I got used to his present tense but I still find the subtext disturbing. It also feels very recycled in a lot of ways, Savage religions, inhumane buraucracy, signe is the new vohannes, but she gets more space to spread the "civilization through commerce" message that makes squirm uncomfortably and want to go back to watching action movies about things exploding

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11687 on: May 09, 2018, 07:24:08 AM »
I picked City of Blades back up. I got used to his present tense but I still find the subtext disturbing. It also feels very recycled in a lot of ways, Savage religions, inhumane buraucracy, signe is the new vohannes, but she gets more space to spread the "civilization through commerce" message that makes squirm uncomfortably and want to go back to watching action movies about things exploding
You need to finish it (get's better imho) because the MC of the next book is Sigrud. Isn't that a motivation?
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #11688 on: May 09, 2018, 12:31:12 PM »
You need to finish it (get's better imho) because the MC of the next book is Sigrud. Isn't that a motivation?

I had insomnia so I finished it. I'm thinking I probably won't read the third one. Blades wasn't a bad book but there are things that its built on that leave me feeling not glad I read it. The Ol***s bit at the end of the first book redeemed it for me but this one... It seemed to go the opposite direction.

Spoiler for Hiden:
also I was really hoping Sigrid would get to kill Biswal, or at least do more damage than just 4 soldiers. He was so... obedient... when it came to Saypur

Offline Steven McKinnon

« Reply #11689 on: May 09, 2018, 04:51:59 PM »
Reading The Name of the Wind, finally! A good chunk of the way through, enjoying it so far.
Author of Symphony of the Wind and The Fury Yet To Come

Online Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Auror
  • Bookworm first, human second.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11690 on: May 10, 2018, 12:44:31 AM »
A Veil Of Spears by Bradley Beaulieu, book 3 of the Song of the Shattered Sands.

This is easily one of my favourite series to emerge from the past few years. The worldbuilding, the plotting, the characters, all near-perfect. Even the flashbacks, of which there are a fair few, never seem forced or jarring. And the books take me a fair while to get through, which is a nice change of pace from what I've been reading elsewhere lately.
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Offline ZeroEcho99

« Reply #11691 on: May 10, 2018, 09:59:19 AM »
On my third attempt at reading Gardens of the Moon and nearly finished it.

Great book once you can get past the first 150-200 pages.

I really liked the characters & the world it's set in hence the perseverance!

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #11692 on: May 10, 2018, 01:19:35 PM »
I've been trying to make a push on my long-standing challenge to read all the BSFA winners. I finished this year's winner, The Rift by Nina Allan, a few days ago. It was good, a bit odd. It reminded me of Graham Joyce's brilliant Some Kind of Fairy Tale early on. I went into it knowing absolutely nothing about it except that several people I respect thought it was good, so I didn't really have any idea where it was going to go. It starts off in modern day Manchester, and I didn't even know if it was going to be SF or fantasy.

After that I started Grainne by Keith Roberts (or more correctly Gráinne if the forum can handle accents), which won the BSFA in 1987. So far it seems weird and literary and maybe hard work, and I don't know where it's going. I think it's described as slipstream, which means it might not really go anywhere and might not contain any fantastical elements. At least it's short.

That will leave me with three winners and one pre-requisite which I intend to read next.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #11693 on: May 10, 2018, 02:06:54 PM »

I really liked the characters & the world it's set in hence the perseverance!
@ZeroEcho99, great, right? :D
I'm now almost finishing book 2, and I'll start book 3 right away (then I might do a break and read something else hehe)

I've been trying to make a push on my long-standing challenge to read all the BSFA winners. I finished this year's winner, The Rift by Nina Allan, a few days ago. It was good, a bit odd. It reminded me of Graham Joyce's brilliant Some Kind of Fairy Tale early on. I went into it knowing absolutely nothing about it except that several people I respect thought it was good, so I didn't really have any idea where it was going to go. It starts off in modern day Manchester, and I didn't even know if it was going to be SF or fantasy.
@DrNefario, have you seen the interview with her on the main site?
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #11694 on: May 10, 2018, 10:31:31 PM »
@DrNefario, have you seen the interview with her on the main site?
I hadn't, actually. I kind of stopped going via the front page after I had some problems with it not working properly on my aged iPad. Thanks for pointing it out.

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #11695 on: May 11, 2018, 04:35:43 AM »
Finished Throne of Glass. Quite more enjoyable than what I had expected, but after I've finished it the details doesn't really seemed to stick to my mind. Moving on to book 2, Crown of Midnight.

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11696 on: May 12, 2018, 08:20:02 AM »
The Bitter Twins by Jen Williams. Hoping to be done by the next SRFC where Jen is reading. Anyone else coming along? @Peat ?
The Real Powers That Be

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11697 on: May 13, 2018, 10:43:12 AM »
Finished City of Miracles last night. Great book, interesting ending. Present tense wasn't bothering me at all. ;)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #11698 on: May 13, 2018, 02:39:09 PM »
After that I started Grainne by Keith Roberts (or more correctly Gráinne if the forum can handle accents), which won the BSFA in 1987. So far it seems weird and literary and maybe hard work, and I don't know where it's going. I think it's described as slipstream, which means it might not really go anywhere and might not contain any fantastical elements. At least it's short.

That will leave me with three winners and one pre-requisite which I intend to read next.
Slight change of plan after finishing Grainne, which was technically interesting, but didn't really work for me as a story. I decided I was in the mood for some fantasy, so I swapped my next two books and have started The Palace Job by Patrick Weekes. Which seems to be exactly the kind of book it sounds like, and I'm enjoying it so far. I had to read this soon because it's a Prime Reading loan and I've decided not to renew my Prime subscription for a while. It turns out I do have a month more than I thought I had, though, so there wasn't too much of a rush.

Offline NedMarcus

« Reply #11699 on: May 13, 2018, 03:05:26 PM »

So I need another two runs at the book  :-\