December 08, 2019, 10:08:39 AM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1830398 times)

Offline NightWrite

Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #11505 on: March 02, 2018, 10:00:02 PM »
I just finished Air Awakens by Elise Kova and I'm now starting the second book she wrote for the series, Fire Falling.

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #11506 on: March 03, 2018, 12:17:23 PM »
I finished Nice Dragons Finish Last by Rachel Aaron last night. It was quite good fun, but not earth-shattering. It could be a good series to snack on between heavier works.

That completes my Reddit bingo card, but I want to replace a couple of books to try to get my sub-themes complete. As a result, I've started Greenwitch by Susan Cooper, the third Dark is Rising book. It's not very long - under 100 pages in my omnibus, but they are big pages - so I might be able to polish it off this weekend.

Offline NedMarcus

« Reply #11507 on: March 04, 2018, 12:33:12 AM »
I'm reading Dragon Keeper by Robin Hobb—and the Realm of the Elderlings books have just SLOWED DOWN.

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #11508 on: March 04, 2018, 10:50:24 AM »
I've started Greenwitch by Susan Cooper, the third Dark is Rising book. It's not very long - under 100 pages in my omnibus, but they are big pages - so I might be able to polish it off this weekend.
Finished it.

I felt, when I read The Dark is Rising last year, that it wasn't very connected to the first book. Well this one solves that problem, bringing back the setting and the cast of the first book and adding in the lead from the second.

Anyway, on to Fools by Pat Cadigan next. A bit of cyberpunk from 1992 for my chronological SF challenge. I wasn't really looking forward to this - I read Synners many years ago, and don't remember liking it that much - but I'm happy enough with the way it has started.

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11509 on: March 04, 2018, 10:26:49 PM »
Just finished reading Circe, by Madeline Miller. It was a super advanced proof, as it'll come out the 10th of April (On my BDay!).

This book. OMG this book. 20/10. I will be hand selling this stuff like hot-buns when it comes out, I'll hit people across the face with the hardback. Though her previous one, Song Of Achilles was a little phenomenon itself, so people are likely to come for more.

It's the story of Circe, the witch, the one who turned Odysseus' crew to pigs, ya know. It's a goddess's bildungsroman, in a sense. It is so, so good. I'm not gonna wax lyrical because no one asked me to, but here it is. When it comes out, do yourselves a favour and read it!
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #11510 on: March 05, 2018, 04:42:21 AM »
I'm currently reading Liar's Key, second book of the Red Queen's War series, and I loved it. I think I haven't identified with any novel protagonist as much as I did with Jalan.  ;D  His story is bloody hilarious.

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11511 on: March 05, 2018, 11:00:38 PM »
Finished Cells at Work, a funny manga about the cells living in our body, the first tome focusing on a red blood cell and a white blood cell.
Book one of Golden Kamuy, another acclaimed manga.
All the remaining chapters of Yakusoku no Neverland, another manga.

And started Midwhich Cuckoo by Wyndham
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 11:05:38 PM by Nora »
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #11512 on: March 05, 2018, 11:56:20 PM »
https://youtu.be/12XZGLUXT2U

For your viewing pleasure.The early scenes of the children  are from the old film 1960 I think, but can't find it. Nothing to do with vamps  They called it The Village of  the Damned, but it was based on Midwich Cuckoos ????

Found a bit https://youtu.be/4LjFtiFS4uc
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 12:08:09 AM by Lady Ty »
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline NedMarcus

« Reply #11513 on: March 06, 2018, 03:30:17 AM »
It's been so long since I read Midwich Cuckoos or any of John Wyndham's books.

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11514 on: March 06, 2018, 09:15:15 AM »
He's great. After that I'll only have to read Chocky to complete his major works.

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #11515 on: March 06, 2018, 11:07:23 AM »
Hope you have read The Chrysalids as well. That was probably my favourite after Midwich Cuckoos.

There was a very early TV serial of Tryffids and I wasn’t supposed to watch it, but used every excuse known to be slow going to bed and keep going into where TV was on and hanging about to see what I could. TV screen about size of an ipad. ::)
John Wyndham’s books were so wonderfully different from anything much else we had ever read when they came out. Glad you like them.
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11516 on: March 06, 2018, 11:08:35 AM »
Yes yes I have. I started with The Chrysalids, then The Day Of The Triffids, and now Midwhich Cuckoos, and finally I'll have Chocky. Mind you I say "finally" but he wrote more. It's just that they're the most famous.
Wyndham has a clever, pretty unique prose, reading him is a pleasure. He also managed to write stories that endure very well, as technology is rarely that heavy. You could hardly tell Day of the Triffids wasn't a modern story, besides the lack of mobile phones.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 11:10:11 AM by Nora »

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #11517 on: March 06, 2018, 01:18:11 PM »
I read The Midwich Cuckoos a couple of years ago, back when I started my chronological SF challenge which is now up to 1992. (Midwich Cuckoos was for 1957, and I started at 1950.) Not my favourite of his, but I enjoyed it enough that I'd like to fill in some of the other gaps. Years ago I read The Chrysalids and The Day of the Triffids. I know I watched the 80s TV adaptation. (I seem to remember it was on after Top of the Pops while Godley & Creme were number 1, but I could be making that up. Memory is weird.) I think I've read some other stuff of Wyndham's too. He used to be a bit of a staple for a young SF fan. Especially with Chocky also getting a TV series.

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #11518 on: March 06, 2018, 08:42:16 PM »
Hope you have read The Chrysalids as well. That was probably my favourite after Midwich Cuckoos.

There was a very early TV serial of Tryffids and I wasn’t supposed to watch it, but used every excuse known to be slow going to bed and keep going into where TV was on and hanging about to see what I could. TV screen about size of an ipad. ::)
John Wyndham’s books were so wonderfully different from anything much else we had ever read when they came out. Glad you like them.
I haven't read much Wyndham, but I did read The Chrysalids (it was assigned to us at school in Year 9). One of the better books we had to read for school from memory (Year 9 was a long time ago for me). Of course I was already into SFF at the time, not sure if the other kids (most of whom didn't read unless they had to) who weren't into the genre were as impressed.

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11519 on: March 06, 2018, 10:54:00 PM »
Lucky you! In the mean time I was reading Last day of a condemned man or Le Horlas. Which is the closest to sff school ever gave us to read.