June 20, 2018, 07:01:35 AM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1374425 times)

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #11430 on: February 02, 2018, 12:17:59 AM »
Read a book by a US Seal (No Hero: The Evolution of a Navy SEAL) by Mark Owen.

Now I'm reading The Art of Living by Epictetus (the teacher of Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius).

And I also started Kings of the Wyld by Nicholas Eames.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2018

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11431 on: February 02, 2018, 10:10:09 AM »
I'm reading Longbourn by Jo Baker, the reselling of P&P from the servant's perspective. 9 chapters in and really digging it.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • ridiculously obscure is my super power.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11432 on: February 04, 2018, 03:07:20 AM »
Just got for my monthly Audible: “The Society ofnthe Sword” by Duncan Hamilton.
No idea, but I needed a fantasy fix, it showed up in their recommended, and the ratings were good. Plus it’s over 30 hours, so that’s about 50 cents an hour. We’ll see.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline ZeroEcho99

« Reply #11433 on: February 04, 2018, 03:14:30 PM »
Malice by John Gwynne.  Why didn't I start this sooner - it's superb!

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • Dragon Duchess
    • View Profile
« Reply #11434 on: February 05, 2018, 05:58:47 AM »
Re-reading Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaimann,  to get back up to date with all the characters ready for the film. They have just finished filming some parts in South Africa so hope it will come out this year some time. Here are Crowley and Aziraphale the main characters, to whet your appetite.

Love this book with so many great throw away lines, hence my latest signature  ;D
'..all tapes left in a car for more than a fortnight metamorphose into Best of Queen albums....they listened to William Byrd's "We Are the Champions"" and Beethoven's "I Want to Break Free". Neither were as good as Vaughan Williams "Fat-Bottomed Girls".
Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman: Good Omens 1990

Offline ScarletBea

• Cruise Director, Positive Invisible Fighter, and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #11435 on: February 05, 2018, 08:13:14 AM »
Love this book with so many great throw away lines, hence my latest signature  ;D
;D
I never read it :-[ :-[
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
"It's time we steered by the stars, not by the lights of each passing ship" (general O.N. Bradley)

Also called Ashorvaed, in the Immortal Language of Henry Dale!

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11436 on: February 05, 2018, 12:45:54 PM »
What a painful couple of days.

Read 3/4 of Longbourn and was enjoying it, till the author decided to do something that instantly filled me with distaste, and flipping to the last pages confirmed my fears. I don't even have the heart to finish the book now.

After a customer really insisted, I decided to oblige everyone who also took up that particular banner and picked up the first Liveship Traders by Hobb. I hadn't read her since Assassin's quest, which I had left behind in my early teens with enough bad feels to never read her again until now.
This book, on the very first page, has an awful metaphor and generally poor, overwrought prose. If I didn't already own the kindle and where in a shop, I'd never had bought that book. Anyway, I persevered and now 30% in, I'm really close to giving it up.
It's an overstretched mess of bile churning family drama that's making me come up with rashes of anxiety.
I didn't leave a shit family to read up on others. I assume when you write bible sized novels you feel you can afford to take your characters to the bottoms of hell before giving them their salvation, but deuce the pacing of this is awful. There is no goodness, no interesting magic or relatable character to balance the pure nastiness of Kyle and the way he goes on to make everyone so thoroughly unhappy.
The pirate character is also insufferable. There is no one, 30% in the book, to make me motivated to read on.
So I'll give it one last chance and read diagonally until things actually "pick up", but this is my last chance to Hobb as an author.
She's definitely not my jam.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline ScarletBea

• Cruise Director, Positive Invisible Fighter, and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #11437 on: February 05, 2018, 01:33:09 PM »
^ You don't like Anthea? :o
Well, very different tastes from me, then - don't punish yourself and just stop reading....
"It's time we steered by the stars, not by the lights of each passing ship" (general O.N. Bradley)

Offline Alex Hormann

« Reply #11438 on: February 05, 2018, 01:45:15 PM »
I felt much the same way about Hobb but ended up sticking with her long enough to finish the first trilogy. Boy was that a mistake.

I assume when you write bible sized novels you feel you can afford to take your characters to the bottoms of hell before giving them their salvation, but deuce the pacing of this is awful. There is no goodness, no interesting magic or relatable character to balance the pure nastiness of Kyle and the way he goes on to make everyone so thoroughly unhappy.
The pirate character is also insufferable. There is no one, 30% in the book, to make me motivated to read on.

^ That's pretty much my attitude to the books too.

Meanwhile I'm starting Senlin Ascends, since it's too hyped-up to ignore any more. Too early yet to form a full opinion, but it's very far removed from my usual reading.

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11439 on: February 05, 2018, 07:37:23 PM »
It's on a front table in my shop. Let me know what you think of it. Doesn't sound like my jam either.

Anyway I discarded Hobb for the moment and picked up The Library At Mount Char, and now that's some fantastic stuff. It's odd, unconventional, very succinctly written, and is catching from the first and intriguing all along. This are not really explained, just enough to paint the picture and keep us super keen.
The depiction of godhood is fantastic without ever dropping the word is fantastic.

Here's the blurb :

Carolyn's not so different from the other people around her. She likes guacamole and cigarettes and steak. She knows how to use a phone. Clothes are a bit tricky, but everyone says nice things about her outfit with the Christmas sweater over the gold bicycle shorts.
After all, she was a normal American herself once. 
That was a long time ago, of course. Before her parents died. Before she and the others were taken in by the man they called Father.
In the years since then, Carolyn hasn't had a chance to get out much. Instead, she and her adopted siblings have been raised according to Father's ancient customs. They've studied the books in his Library and learned some of the secrets of his power. And sometimes, they've wondered if their cruel tutor might secretly be God.
Now, Father is missing—perhaps even dead—and the Library that holds his secrets stands unguarded. And with it, control over all of creation.
As Carolyn gathers the tools she needs for the battle to come, fierce competitors for this prize align against her, all of them with powers that far exceed her own.
But Carolyn has accounted for this.
And Carolyn has a plan.
The only trouble is that in the war to make a new God, she's forgotten to protect the things that make her human.

Library lovers among you beware! There is cruelty and there is wonder in this book! It's not about learning Father's craft at his knee by the fireside. But wanting to put it out because so far it's a book I feel like gushing over.

Offline Lady Ty

• Ta'veren
  • Dragon Duchess
    • View Profile
« Reply #11440 on: February 05, 2018, 08:46:11 PM »
Will be very keen to hear how you get on with Senlin Ascends, @Alex Hormann. Was excited to finally get it when it came on audible, but am really struggling and have cheated out to read other books several times so far. Many like it according to reviews and I will keep trying, but for me it is very slow and somehow flat and matter of fact.  Up to now cannot find a shred of empathy with Senlin.

Wondering if it is meant to be philosophical conversations and thoughts on human condition, which is fine but not for me nowadays. Has anyone here read it in full yet? Would be interested to hear from someone here rather than elsewhere.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 08:56:07 PM by Lady Ty »
'..all tapes left in a car for more than a fortnight metamorphose into Best of Queen albums....they listened to William Byrd's "We Are the Champions"" and Beethoven's "I Want to Break Free". Neither were as good as Vaughan Williams "Fat-Bottomed Girls".

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #11441 on: February 05, 2018, 09:43:38 PM »
Will be very keen to hear how you get on with Senlin Ascends, @Alex Hormann. Was excited to finally get it when it came on audible, but am really struggling and have cheated out to read other books several times so far. Many like it according to reviews and I will keep trying, but for me it is very slow and somehow flat and matter of fact.  Up to now cannot find a shred of empathy with Senlin.

Wondering if it is meant to be philosophical conversations and thoughts on human condition, which is fine but not for me nowadays. Has anyone here read it in full yet? Would be interested to hear from someone here rather than elsewhere.
I read it, and it seemed a bit disjointed, with each level of the tower almost like a short story. It picks up eventually, but I'm afraid I didn't see what the big fuss is about :-\

Well, what do you know? I went looking for my review when I read it, back in August, and this is what I wrote:
I finished Senlin ascends, by Josiah Brancroft.
I understand what the big fuss is about, and why he's now going to be published by Orbit, it's a very good book. Lots of imagination and good writing.
However, I'm more of a 'character person' than a 'world person', and that's where this book didn't hit all the right notes for me. I think most people are aware of the main setting (it's in the blurb anyway): the Tower of Babel (you know the story, right?). Anyway, here the tower is split into sections, each one a world in its own right: for every one Senlin reaches, there's a big section of 'world building', descriptions, and so on, and that sort of broke the flow for me.

Don't get me wrong, I liked it and I will get book 2 (I really want to know the end of the story!) - totally worth the read :)
I think I've changed my mind, and maybe I'll read the others from the library, one day, but not buying...
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 09:48:31 PM by ScarletBea »

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #11442 on: February 05, 2018, 09:59:33 PM »
I read Senlin Ascends back before it was cool. (None of those smileys have a hipster beard.) I really liked it. I'm quite glad it hadn't been overhyped at the time, and that I didn't know much about it. I thought the writing was very good - it seemed obvious to me from the craftsmanship that the author also wrote poetry - and I enjoyed Senlin's attempts to understand what was going on. Some people have said it has a slow start, but to me that was kind of the point. Without the start you don't have the journey.

I am probably going to buy the paper versions just to have nice copies.

Offline Lady Ty

• Ta'veren
  • Dragon Duchess
    • View Profile
« Reply #11443 on: February 05, 2018, 11:14:36 PM »

I read it, and it seemed a bit disjointed, with each level of the tower almost like a short story. It picks up eventually, but I'm afraid I didn't see what the big fuss is about :-\

Well, what do you know? I went looking for my review when I read it, back in August, and this is what I wrote:
I finished Senlin ascends, by Josiah Brancroft.
I understand what the big fuss is about, and why he's now going to be published by Orbit, it's a very good book. Lots of imagination and good writing.
However, I'm more of a 'character person' than a 'world person', and that's where this book didn't hit all the right notes for me. I think most people are aware of the main setting (it's in the blurb anyway): the Tower of Babel (you know the story, right?). Anyway, here the tower is split into sections, each one a world in its own right: for every one Senlin reaches, there's a big section of 'world building', descriptions, and so on, and that sort of broke the flow for me.

Don't get me wrong, I liked it and I will get book 2 (I really want to know the end of the story!) - totally worth the read :)
I think I've changed my mind, and maybe I'll read the others from the library, one day, but not buying...

I read Senlin Ascends back before it was cool. (None of those smileys have a hipster beard.) I really liked it. I'm quite glad it hadn't been overhyped at the time, and that I didn't know much about it. I thought the writing was very good - it seemed obvious to me from the craftsmanship that the author also wrote poetry - and I enjoyed Senlin's attempts to understand what was going on. Some people have said it has a slow start, but to me that was kind of the point. Without the start you don't have the journey.

I am probably going to buy the paper versions just to have nice copies.

Thank you both for giving more information and your thoughts on Senlin Ascends. @ScarletBea you have confirmed my initial feeling. Characters are nearly always the most important aspect for me.

@DrNefario I agree it has well written prose from what I read so far and appreciate that, but although I thoroughly enjoy unusual world building it usually needs to be leavened with other aspects in a book. I have a paper version as well and it is indeed a handsome cover.  :) With some books the audio is too hard for me to follow properly without referring back and this was definitely an example.

I will try again later to give it a fair go and see how I get on.

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #11444 on: February 06, 2018, 08:49:33 AM »
I've finished First Lord's Fury (Codex Alera #6), and thus have came to the end of the Codex Series. Overall, I would rank this at second place beneath book 2, and on par with book 3. There were the issue of inapproriate jokes in such a serious atmosphere ofthe book's setting. (The world is about to end, and the main characters are making some random jokes and having jovial fun. It's rather out of place.) As expected there was a pretty soapy happy ever after kind of ending, so I guess that's pretty well.

Overall, I would say that the entire series is not awe-inspiring great, but still was pretty decent. It's rather like watching a fun action movie where you can't remember much of what happened afterwards, hehe.  ;D

Moving on towards Prince of Fools (Red Queen's War #1) by Mark Lawrence. I just can't wait to get back into Jorg's Broken Empire!