April 04, 2020, 02:37:39 AM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1927391 times)

Offline carjug

Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #10485 on: May 31, 2017, 12:26:55 AM »
Deus Irae by Zelazny and Phillip K. Dick on tape. I got the book from Edward Hamilton Booksellers, an outfit that tries to dump remainders on an unsuspecting public. Cheap. I got a bargain, the book starts off slow, but after the third CD I was hooked, and the end was totally refreshing. The Hero? A quadriplegic whose wheelcart is pulled across a post-nuke landscape by two cows. Imagination kicks butt again. I swore off Zelazny years ago to free up time for other authors, now I gotta read me some P.K . Dick.

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #10486 on: May 31, 2017, 01:57:27 AM »
Finished The Emperor's Blades by Brian Staveley. 4.25/5
Really fun book. He really knows how to take the story in directions I didn't see coming. It's nothing shocking, but it somehow feels refreshing. There are lots of minor characters, and you think some of them are going to have bigger roles than they do, and some of them smaller. But he does a good job keeping you on the edge, because you really don't know whose going to play the big part. There were also scenes I was expecting based on books I've read, that didn't come because he flipped it on me. And the magic system... I never thought I would find a good balance between mysticism and science-like. But this is a perfect example of that. We don't know everything, but we understand enough to know that he has it all figured out, and we'll know more if we need to. Again, very refreshing.

And after reading the description for book 2, I'm excited. I thought I was going to get a different story, but once again, he flips. And, even better, Staveley doesn't include DRM on his EBooks, meaning I can easily transfer it on to my braille display. I just mentioned him on Twitter saying that he's my hero for today.

Offline night_wrtr

« Reply #10487 on: May 31, 2017, 02:13:00 AM »
Finished The Emperor's Blades by Brian Staveley. 4.25/5
Really fun book.

So glad to hear someone else enjoyed this one. Its one of my favorites actually. I'll warn you that if you move on to book two, you'll want to read book three immediately after!

Offline DaniMcDani

« Reply #10488 on: May 31, 2017, 03:22:21 AM »
Hi --relatively new here.  Sorry if I am barging in.  I recently discovered Mark Lawrence's Broken Empire series thanks to this forum.  Wow.  What writing.  He has really spoiled me for any other author now. 
I'm glad we were able to help ;D

I love Mark Lawrence but I also really enjoyed Stormlight Archives book 1 - one thing you'll learn as you read more fantasy is that there will always be books you don't like, so please, don't feel you'll have to finish them all: there are enough good books to last you a lifetime anyway ;D

Oh hi there -- pleased to meet you.  And sorry, after I posted this I realized it sounded snarky against Sanderson and that there would, of course, be a lot of fans of his here.  Oops.  But one of the reasons I posted was because I was really impressed with that scene's writing.  The pacing of the fight was great.  And a lot of disparate characters were woven into that one scene.  And as I was reading, I kept trying to predict how the fight would go and found that Sanderson still ended up surprising me... So I will keep reading this series now for sure. 

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Needs a Cheesy Quest Fantasy baa-aadly
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #10489 on: May 31, 2017, 03:35:36 AM »
Finished The Siege of Abythos by Phil Tucker. His Chronicles of the Black Gate is hands down the best self-published fantasy I've ever read, but that would be selling it short. It's also among my favorite series in general. The way Tucker makes me care about his characters is special, and the way he writes action scenes keeps me glued to the pages.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #10490 on: May 31, 2017, 09:53:22 AM »
I finished Fool's quest - and now I have to wait a bit for my turn at the library's Assassin's Fate :'(
At least my paperback edition had that book's first pages at the end, and I was able to quieten my anxiety a little bit, hehe

I love these books, I love the way the characters grow, and grow up, and I love how she's bringing all the Traders and Rain Wilders together with Fitz and the Six Duchies.

Since I don't want to read any fantasy while I wait, I started Jessie Burton's The miniaturist, which I got from the box a friend was taking to the charity shop.
Historical fiction, but I've already noticed a sudden change from First POV to Third without any separation, not even a little space inbetween the paragraphs - hanging around with writers (i.e. most of you) makes me notice these things now ;D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #10491 on: May 31, 2017, 10:16:37 AM »
Just started Planetfall by Emma Newman. So far so good and I'm intrigued at the hidden mystery around this new colony on another planet.

The Traitor God & God of Broken Things

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10492 on: May 31, 2017, 11:56:35 AM »
What does China think? By Mark Leonard
The Real Powers That Be

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #10493 on: May 31, 2017, 01:56:13 PM »
I've just started City of Burning Shadows by Barbara J Webb. It was a finalist from the first SPFBO, and was the only one of that first set of finalists I didn't have, and then I noticed it had become available via the Kindle Owners' Lending Library so it became my May loan.

Interestingly I picked up all ten either as freebies or via the KOLL. I mostly haven't read the ones I got for free, but since the loaners have a pseudo-deadline I have to read those in a reasonably timely manner. If you want me to actually read your self-published book, that seems to be a better strategy. I guess there's not that much difference in the amount of revenue, but hopefully that will pay off later.

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10494 on: May 31, 2017, 10:21:45 PM »
Nearing the end of the Iron Ghost by @sennydreadful, which is a real page turner and a step up from the Copper Promise.
Usually the second book is the hardest to write and it's rare that it's so good. Really glad I picked it up!
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Online Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #10495 on: May 31, 2017, 10:51:16 PM »
Nearing the end of the Iron Ghost by @sennydreadful, which is a real page turner and a step up from the Copper Promise.
Usually the second book is the hardest to write and it's rare that it's so good. Really glad I picked it up!
Only gets better in the 3rd book, too, @xiagan.

Offline Saraband

• Haggis eater, fantasy scribbler and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Geeky Reading (and Writing) Introvert
    • View Profile
    • BrawBlether
« Reply #10496 on: June 01, 2017, 09:02:51 AM »
Only gets better in the 3rd book, too, @xiagan.

And the first book of the new trilogy manages to be even better  ;D
https://brawblether.com

"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

"Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love." - Robert Burns

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10497 on: June 01, 2017, 09:28:22 PM »
I have become like you weirdos and have two books on the go :P

A non fiction book about China:  What China is Thinking by Mark Leonard, and Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson.  (And to add to the weirdness I have Snow Crash as both an E-book and an Audio-Book.)
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10498 on: June 01, 2017, 11:52:08 PM »
I'm reading a horror novel, Ararat by Christopher Golden. 18% in and all good so far...
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Needs a Cheesy Quest Fantasy baa-aadly
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #10499 on: June 02, 2017, 12:41:37 AM »
I have become like you weirdos and have two books on the go :P

A non fiction book about China:  What China is Thinking by Mark Leonard, and Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson.  (And to add to the weirdness I have Snow Crash as both an E-book and an Audio-Book.)

Two books. You're an amateur. You aren't doing it right unless you're reading at least five books at once.

I believe I once had ten books going at the same time. Yeah, that was a bit too much.