April 01, 2020, 12:36:41 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1923135 times)

Offline ultamentkiller

Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #10470 on: May 25, 2017, 04:57:38 PM »
Finished This Book Is Full of Spiders by David Wong. 4/5
I had an an experience that I've never had before. Wow, that sentence sucks. Anyway, at the end, I agreed with the "villains" more than I did the "heroes." I think the protagonists have actually caused more problems, and if the villains had won, the world would be better off for it. But now, stuff is going to come back and haunt them later on, all because they were determined. Stupid protagonists. The sad thing is, at some points they stop and realize this, but then something crazy happens and they start trying to "save the world" all over again. Like I said, I've never had this happen.
Also, I don't think the character development was as good in this one, and there weren't as many cool scenes. Although I want that damn furgun! Overall, it was a unique take on a popular story, that made me laugh a little and think about life in new ways. Definitely recommend this series for people who want their mind messed with.

Tomorrow, I shall start this Chronicle Of The Unhewn Throne and see if I'm on board with it. I hope so!
I think after I read John Dies at the End I said it was kind of like if Ben Edlund, Stephen King and Douglas Adams all spent a night inhaling illegal vegetable matter and said 'Hey, let's write a book!'
Seeing as you did like them I'd give The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde a try, it's the same sort of mind messing, but in a totally different way, fiction suddenly becomes very real.
You also may like Soon I Will Be Invincible by Austin Grossman.
I looked up the description for The Air Affair, and I don't think I would enjoy it as much. I haven't read or enjoyed enough literature to fully appreciate it. But Soon I Will Be Invincible? Definitely on my list now. Thanks!

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #10471 on: May 25, 2017, 05:15:38 PM »
I've been meaning to read Jane Eyre for ages, so I can read The Eyre Affair with all the facts. I didn't get very far before I got sidetracked.

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #10472 on: May 26, 2017, 10:42:15 AM »
I finished Damnation Alley by Roger Zelazny. Not one of his better works, really. It's a kind of proto-Mad Max road trip across a devastated and hostile US in an armored vehicle. It was made into a bad movie in the 70s, which I think I've seen but have almost no memory of bar the big armored car thing. I suspect the book will fade in my memory in much the same way. At least I get to pencil it in for one of the trickier slots of the reddit bingo (the Author Appreciation Post square), although I'll probably replace it with something less SF.

On to Across the Nightingale Floor by Lian Hearn. I don't know a lot about this - it was actually a random pick for another of my many challenges - and I don't have any really pressing need to read it now, it's just that it's a used paperback and it's in fairly bad condition, and I don't want it in my house for longer than necessary.

Offline Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Valheru
  • Bookworm first, human second.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10473 on: May 26, 2017, 08:53:07 PM »
At long last I have finished Dune. Not perfect by any means, but it deserves its legacy. Will definitely be reading the rest.

For now though, it's on to Rhyming Rings. It's weird to have a new Gemmell book, but judging by the quality of White Knight Black Swan, it's going to be a good one.
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #10474 on: May 27, 2017, 07:42:41 AM »
I had an an experience that I've never had before. Wow, that sentence sucks. Anyway, at the end, I agreed with the "villains" more than I did the "heroes." I think the protagonists have actually caused more problems, and if the villains had won, the world would be better off for it. But now, stuff is going to come back and haunt them later on, all because they were determined. Stupid protagonists. The sad thing is, at some points they stop and realize this, but then something crazy happens and they start trying to "save the world" all over again. Like I said, I've never had this happen.
Also, I don't think the character development was as good in this one, and there weren't as many cool scenes. Although I want that damn furgun! Overall, it was a unique take on a popular story, that made me laugh a little and think about life in new ways. Definitely recommend this series for people who want their mind messed with.

Tomorrow, I shall start this Chronicle Of The Unhewn Throne and see if I'm on board with it. I hope so!
I think after I read John Dies at the End I said it was kind of like if Ben Edlund, Stephen King and Douglas Adams all spent a night inhaling illegal vegetable matter and said 'Hey, let's write a book!'
Seeing as you did like them I'd give The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde a try, it's the same sort of mind messing, but in a totally different way, fiction suddenly becomes very real.
I looked up the description for The Air Affair, and I don't think I would enjoy it as much. I haven't read or enjoyed enough literature to fully appreciate it. But Soon I Will Be Invincible? Definitely on my list now. Thanks!
You don't have to have read all the stuff the book references, although if you haven't got a working knowledge of Jane Eyre it does ruin one of the main jokes.
Soon I Will Be Invincible you just need to know a bit about comic books.
Have you read Kings of the Wyld? If you haven't I think you'd love that. Non stop action and a total pisstake on grimdark.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Online Magnus Hedén

• High Lord of commas and Grand Master of semicolons
  • Half a King
  • My name is Magnus. I make stuff up.
    • View Profile
    • My Patreon
« Reply #10475 on: May 27, 2017, 08:20:00 AM »
Doctor Sleep (sequel to The Shining) by Stephen King, which I am enjoying. I find King always writes engaging stories, though this one doesn't stand out as one of his special ones, so far.

I am also reading HG Wells Classic Collection, I have been through The Time Machine and am now on The Island of Dr Moreau. There's a simple and elegant quality to his writing that I would love to steal some of. And the ideas he had are thoroughly impressive considering the books were written well over a century ago.
You can find stories on my Patreon
I'm also on Twitter and the Book of Faces

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #10476 on: May 27, 2017, 04:58:19 PM »

You don't have to have read all the stuff the book references, although if you haven't got a working knowledge of Jane Eyre it does ruin one of the main jokes.
Have you read Kings of the Wyld? If you haven't I think you'd love that. Non stop action and a total pisstake on grimdark.
Sounds kind of like The Expendables.

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #10477 on: May 28, 2017, 06:53:29 AM »

Sounds kind of like The Expendables.
I have seen The Expendables, but its better than that. The conceit is that they're a former star mercenary group putting the band back together for one final tour. It takes a whole bunch of tropes and messes about with them for a wonderful ride. There is apparently a sequel on the way, but its quite self contained. Be my favourite read for the year so far, just talking about it now makes me want to read it again.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #10478 on: May 29, 2017, 05:25:15 PM »
Added to my list then. Can't hurt to give it a shot.

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10479 on: May 29, 2017, 09:05:55 PM »
On to Across the Nightingale Floor by Lian Hearn. I don't know a lot about this - it was actually a random pick for another of my many challenges - and I don't have any really pressing need to read it now, it's just that it's a used paperback and it's in fairly bad condition, and I don't want it in my house for longer than necessary.

Interested in your opinion, because I've heard the worst reviews.

I've been reading A Rising Man, which is a fairly good crime novel set in Calcutta in the last days of the British Empire. A white sahib is found assassinated in a seedy district and our WWI scared, opium addicted MC needs to solve it asap.
Pretty good and consistent, but finding myself running out of steam in the middle of it. I don't know if it's me or the books that is a problem these days, but yeah... In this case it's just that it reads fine, but it's not a page turner either. I don't have a burning desire to know who did it, and my MC is in no great danger.
The world is well depicted and the prose can be pretty funny, but it's missing spice.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Needs a Cheesy Quest Fantasy baa-aadly
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #10480 on: May 29, 2017, 10:09:43 PM »
Recently finished Bane and Shadow by Jon Skovron. It's the second book in his Empire of Storms series.

This is some good fantasy that I think will appeal to fans of Brent Weeks. It gives off a lot of that same vibe as Night Angel, but it is different enough that it isn't a complete copy. I've liked both books. They're fast-paced with an interesting world and characters I like reading about.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 04:20:37 AM by Ryan Mueller »

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #10481 on: May 30, 2017, 01:01:22 AM »
I have the first book on my list, so that's exciting to hear. Looking forward to reading it.

Offline DaniMcDani

« Reply #10482 on: May 30, 2017, 02:33:22 AM »
Hi --relatively new here.  Sorry if I am barging in.  I recently discovered Mark Lawrence's Broken Empire series thanks to this forum.  Wow.  What writing.  He has really spoiled me for any other author now.  He keeps breaking your heart over and over again.  omg.  Hurts like hell to read it but it is the most brilliant thing I have read since GRRM.   I am in the middle of book 2 (King of Thorns) right now. 

I am also reading Brandon Sanderson's Stormlight Archive series because a friend gave it to me.  I kind of napped through book 1, but I have this thing where if I start a book, I always have to finish it no matter what, so I pushed through.  Book 2 was also nap inducing until half way through -- the duel where Adolin unwittingly gets into a duel against 4 shard-bearers-- and Kaladin jumps in.  That was actually a really well-written fight scene.  For the first time, I felt like I couldn't put a Sanderson book down.  I actually kind of care a little about what will happen now

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #10483 on: May 30, 2017, 08:41:06 AM »
Hi --relatively new here.  Sorry if I am barging in.  I recently discovered Mark Lawrence's Broken Empire series thanks to this forum.  Wow.  What writing.  He has really spoiled me for any other author now. 
I'm glad we were able to help ;D

I love Mark Lawrence but I also really enjoyed Stormlight Archives book 1 - one thing you'll learn as you read more fantasy is that there will always be books you don't like, so please, don't feel you'll have to finish them all: there are enough good books to last you a lifetime anyway ;D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #10484 on: May 30, 2017, 11:02:54 AM »

Interested in your opinion, because I've heard the worst reviews.

I finished it on Sunday, and I enjoyed it a lot. It's refreshingly unsentimental. If I wanted to be picky, I probably could be, but I thought it captured a peculiarly Feudal-Japanese mindset pretty well (based mainly on having read Shogun a couple of months ago, so I can't really rule out horrendous cultural appropriation, since they are both an outsider's view) and the story was good. I've put the second one on my wishlist.

I also finished The Moving Finger by Agatha Christie late last night. A Marple book in which Miss Marple is a minor character who doesn't appear until near the end. The usual easy read.