September 16, 2019, 01:48:08 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1736799 times)

Offline Rostum

Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #10440 on: May 20, 2017, 06:54:55 PM »
pretty sure Marielle and Suzanne are Dutch. So you may have a bigger international fan club than you thought.

Offline G_R_Matthews

« Reply #10441 on: May 20, 2017, 07:29:12 PM »
pretty sure Marielle and Suzanne are Dutch. So you may have a bigger international fan club than you thought.

I'm a man of International popularity... well one other nation anyway ;) go the Dutch! (Maybe I should apply for citizenship ;) )
Staff Writer and ponderer of many things @ fantasy-faction

The Stone Road (4/5* Bookwormblues.net) : myBook.to/thestoneroad
Silent City : myBook.to/silentcity

www.grmatthews.com

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #10442 on: May 21, 2017, 08:53:24 AM »
The Rithmatist by Brandon Sanderson, interesting YA and enjoying this unusual easy read.
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #10443 on: May 21, 2017, 02:52:13 PM »
I haven't picked that one up yet, since I have no idea when the sequel will come out. Sanderson seems more interested in other projects at the moment.

And Math and I have a... Difficult relationship. :P

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #10444 on: May 21, 2017, 03:17:08 PM »
I haven't picked that one up yet, since I have no idea when the sequel will come out. Sanderson seems more interested in other projects at the moment.

Oh how well I understand those difficult Maths relationships  ;D ;D ;D It doesn't require maths as such, but for another reason may not be a good book for you @ultamentkiller.

Although I am listening it has become clear that you need a print copy. The plot relies on geometrical type diagrams of lines and circles and other shapes used in a defence strategy, but not as we know them. Although I  can just about follow the theory from descriptions, when I looked up the Rithmatist on google images it was obvious that you  really need to use the book with the diagrams showing in the appropriate places of the story when they appear. Shall try and get print copy from library so I can understand properly.
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #10445 on: May 21, 2017, 05:46:05 PM »
Half way through Extinction Game by Gary Gibson.
The last man on Earth is saved by a team from an alternate reality and recruited to investigate other alternate Earths ravaged by various end of the world events.

The Traitor God & God of Broken Things

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Needs a Cheesy Quest Fantasy baa-aadly
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #10446 on: May 21, 2017, 09:19:35 PM »

I really enjoyed The Rithmatist. I'm not sure when he'll write the sequel, but I'm okay with that because I like pretty much everything Sanderson writes, so I always know there will be something new and interesting to read.

I am eagerly waiting for November, when Stormlight 3 is supposed to come out.

Offline Saraband

• Haggis eater, fantasy scribbler and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Geeky Reading (and Writing) Introvert
    • View Profile
    • BrawBlether
« Reply #10447 on: May 22, 2017, 10:29:16 AM »
Finished Red Sister, by Mark Lawrence. I'm a massive fan of the previous two trilogies, but didn't connect with the new book in the same way, but it has more due to personal taste than the book's quality. It's still a great read.

Picked up Zelda: A Link to the Past, and will probably follow with Terry Pratchett's The Last Hero  :)
https://brawblether.com

"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

"Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love." - Robert Burns

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #10448 on: May 22, 2017, 03:27:18 PM »
Finished John Dies At The End. 4.75/5
Really solid book. I just had a couple of problems. At the end, there's a plot twist that feels like it's there just to be cool. But when talking to someone about it, they asked "Well why did it happen?" I couldn't answer that question, which makes me sad. Maybe it'll be fleshed out in book 2? It also got into a lot more multiuniverse and time travel stuff, which took me out of the book for a bit because of how complex it got. I will still say that David Wong is a genius for coming up with the things that he did, even though I don't fully understand them. It's not because they don't make sense. It's because I need to reread the book at some point to fully grasp what happened. Kind of like Inception. I have yet to meet a person who understood the whole plot on their first viewing.

I was questioning whether I would continue on to the sequel, because I figured it would further the multiuniverse/time travel thing. However, after reading the description, I bought it. I'm sure it will, but I don't care, because the spiders sound cool.

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #10449 on: May 22, 2017, 03:31:15 PM »
Finished John Dies At The End. 4.75/5
Really solid book. I just had a couple of problems. At the end, there's a plot twist that feels like it's there just to be cool. But when talking to someone about it, they asked "Well why did it happen?" I couldn't answer that question, which makes me sad. Maybe it'll be fleshed out in book 2? It also got into a lot more multiuniverse and time travel stuff, which took me out of the book for a bit because of how complex it got. I will still say that David Wong is a genius for coming up with the things that he did, even though I don't fully understand them. It's not because they don't make sense. It's because I need to reread the book at some point to fully grasp what happened. Kind of like Inception. I have yet to meet a person who understood the whole plot on their first viewing.

I was questioning whether I would continue on to the sequel, because I figured it would further the multiuniverse/time travel thing. However, after reading the description, I bought it. I'm sure it will, but I don't care, because the spiders sound cool.

Multiuniverses and time travel, not to say your relation of the book to inception; now that sounds like something I  could certainly enjoy. Bookmarked "John Dies at the End".  :D

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #10450 on: May 22, 2017, 03:34:32 PM »
It's as complex as Inception for sure, except without all of the multilayered dreams and such. I will warn you. When the book starts off, it doesn't feel that way at all. but as you keep reading, the plot gets deeper and deeper.

Basically, the book is divided in two. Part 1 is very humorous and is a wild ride, with tons of shocking moments and no clear direction of where you're going, but you know you're going to love it when you get there. Part 2 is where the complexity starts to unfold, and starts out easy, but slowly draws you into these threads that can tangle your mind.

Offline Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Valheru
  • Bookworm first, human second.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10451 on: May 22, 2017, 04:25:26 PM »
Finished Red Sister, by Mark Lawrence. I'm a massive fan of the previous two trilogies, but didn't connect with the new book in the same way, but it has more due to personal taste than the book's quality. It's still a great read.

I felt the same way. I can objectively tell that it's a good book, but I'm just not a fan of the 'special school' trope.

Meanwhile, I am continuing to plough through Dune. Got caught up in real life these past few days, but it's bubbling along nicely.
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Offline Kitvaria Sarene

« Reply #10452 on: May 22, 2017, 07:41:45 PM »
Lots and lots of samplers for the next SPFBO, also "Wrath of the Medusa" by Munro, "Stranger of tempest" by lloyd, "The Curse of chalion" by Bujold and rereading "The Stone Road" by Matthews  :)

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #10453 on: May 22, 2017, 07:47:41 PM »
Oh look, you're back!
And @Kitvaria Sarene, are you one of the SPFBO review bloggers, then? Good luck!
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10454 on: May 22, 2017, 10:48:15 PM »
Finished Necrophenia by Robert Rankin. Found myself bemused rather than amused by all the self reverential jokes but did have a few laugh out loud moments (at one point the protagonist and Lazlo Woodbine keep switching who is in the first person.)

Not sure what to read next. Started listening to an audible reading of Snow Crash but I am not too good with concentration and talking books. Though did enjoy an audible version of River of Pain (an alien story) but that was an audio play rather than an audio book.

Think I might read a book on Emotional Literacy and try to listen to Snow Crash for now. And maybe Bridge of Birds by Barry Hughard for my train journey to  Norwich on Sat?

Btw anyone know of any good books on China? Stories, travel accounts or non fiction?
The Real Powers That Be