June 22, 2017, 07:36:49 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1106578 times)

Offline Peat

Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #10410 on: May 15, 2017, 12:37:33 AM »
I too dnf malice and when I was raising similar concerns here, eclipse brought up a bunch of quotes of people struggling with the book's beginning. Some said it came good, others didn't. So who knows.

I should be reading Mort.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Online ultamentkiller

« Reply #10411 on: May 15, 2017, 12:58:29 AM »
Reading Futuristic Violence and Fancy Suits. I'm about 126 pages in, and I'm enjoying it. Mainly because of the writing. It's got a lot of humor in it, with a possible near future as the setting, and a fun plot that I can't pin a solid direction on.

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #10412 on: May 15, 2017, 01:42:19 PM »
I'm 60% into Ash: A Secret History by Mary Gentle, after 15 days, which puts me on schedule to finish in another ten days. That feels way too long, but I guess that is 650 pages in two weeks, which seems about average for me. I'm enjoying it a great deal, but it's really really long. It doesn't feel very much like regular fantasy - it's kind of grimdarkian (yeah, I made that up), but also feels more like a historical novel than a fantasy, and it seems to me that historicals are less prone to soft-pedaling the unpleasantness of the past, which maybe takes it out of the grimdark zone, for me - but Ash is a great character and the story is pretty interesting.

Offline Revan

« Reply #10413 on: May 15, 2017, 10:26:54 PM »
Finished 'the Great Ordeal' and found it probably the weakest book in the series so far. I think that weirdness and confusion has passed a certain threshold, and I do not love the story that much as to search for all the hidden things. Still, cannot wait for the final book.

Now, it is time to rejoin Fitz for a final time. Here I come.

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #10414 on: May 15, 2017, 10:43:36 PM »
Reading Futuristic Violence and Fancy Suits. I'm about 126 pages in, and I'm enjoying it. Mainly because of the writing. It's got a lot of humor in it, with a possible near future as the setting, and a fun plot that I can't pin a solid direction on.
David Wong is pretty much like that. I didn't mind Futuristic Violence and Fancy Suits, but I much preferred John Dies at the End and This Book is Full of Spiders, especially the latter.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Online ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #10415 on: May 16, 2017, 12:28:11 PM »
I finished Fool's Assassin (book 1) yesterday, and started Fool's Quest (book 2) also yesterday.
(I saw online that I'm number 2 in the library queue for book 3, but they're ordering 2 copies, so...)

Comments here.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
"There is no way to kill someone mercifully. (...) They may claim that their victims did not suffer. They lie. All they may truly say is that the victim's suffering was invisible to them." Robin Hobb ("Fool's Assassin")

Online ultamentkiller

« Reply #10416 on: May 16, 2017, 01:15:21 PM »
David Wong is pretty much like that. I didn't mind Futuristic Violence and Fancy Suits, but I much preferred John Dies at the End and This Book is Full of Spiders, especially the latter.
Will definitely check those out as long as the ending doesn't ruin my enjoyment of this book.

Edit: And I'm finished, and the ending was awesome! Really enjoyed this one. A good 4.5/5.
Lots of good humor, fun characters, cool action, layered with glimpses of what our future will most likely look like, without the supervillains I think. But still. You have self-driving vehicles, 3-D Printing integrated with construction, and people I'm an annoying spammer. Ignore me and don't click this link! A Mod will ban me as soon as they can!ing themselves everywhere they go. Seems perfectly plausible. Highly recommended to anyone who enjoys light sci-fi with humor and plenty of action.

Now on to Stranger of Tempist by Tom Lloyd. Mage guns sound interesting.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 09:30:41 PM by ultamentkiller »

Online xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer A demon god's birthday starts the hunt(1)
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #10417 on: May 16, 2017, 08:42:46 PM »
^ The Iron Goat*, definitely! Jen moves up a notch from the Copper Promise :D

* what he said
Started yesterday. :)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #10418 on: May 16, 2017, 10:47:19 PM »
Will definitely check those out as long as the ending doesn't ruin my enjoyment of this book.

Edit: And I'm finished, and the ending was awesome! Really enjoyed this one. A good 4.5/5.
Lots of good humor, fun characters, cool action, layered with glimpses of what our future will most likely look like, without the supervillains I think. But still. You have self-driving vehicles, 3-D Printing integrated with construction, and people I'm an annoying spammer. Ignore me and don't click this link! A Mod will ban me as soon as they can!ing themselves everywhere they go. Seems perfectly plausible. Highly recommended to anyone who enjoys light sci-fi with humor and plenty of action.

Now on to Stranger of Tempist by Tom Lloyd. Mage guns sound interesting.
The style of the two earlier books is similar to Futuristic Violence and Fancy Suits, but they're totally unrelated. Different characters and setting. They're a duology. I initially picked up This Book is Full of Spiders and liked the beginning so much that I sought out John Dies at the End and read it first, so as not to be spoiled.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Online CameronJohnston

« Reply #10419 on: May 17, 2017, 05:58:06 PM »
Just finished Peter Mclean's Drake and Peter Newman's The Seven. Both fantastic and highly recommended.
Welcome, Watchers of illusion, to the castle of confusion.
Spellcasting: W.I.N.E
http://cameronjohnston.blogspot.co.uk/

Online ultamentkiller

« Reply #10420 on: May 17, 2017, 10:33:23 PM »
And Stranger of Tempist by Tom Lloyd is a DNF.
It has an interesting beginning. It really draws you in. and maybe, just maybe, if I had only read the interludes where that story takes place, I would've been interested. But the main story is how they get to that point. I figured it wouldn't last too long. Just introduce the company and how Lynx got there, show-off a bit of the magic system, then show me what I need to know. Instead, it's a bunch of mercenaries going around doing mercenary thing. Or sometimes it's just Lynx touring the city and helping the author worldbuild. Or maybe it's the girl, I already forgot her name, observing mercenaries doing mercenary things, and realizing how much her life sucks. It is not, however, the fun book I was expecting.
I have no idea how it made it up so high on the Fantasy-Faction list for 2016. Last year with the 5th Season, that at least made sense to me even if I didn't enjoy it. It's a story with a lot of political parallels, and people love that sort of thing. But for this... No clue.

Now to start on something I'm pretty sure I'm going to enjoy, since I've already read something by him. John Dies At The End by David Wong.

Online Alex Hormann

« Reply #10421 on: May 17, 2017, 11:58:02 PM »
Just finished a book called Glyphbinder by this guy named @tebakutis . Don't know if you've heard of him?  ;)  The best self published novel I've ever read. Now, granted, it's also the only self published novel I've read, but it's still a strong book. Although the use of 'honey' between romantic partners threw me off. Is that a thing? I thought only nineties pop-punk bands said that.

Anyway, next up I'll be tackling Dune for the first time. Should be an experience.

Offline Peat

« Reply #10422 on: May 18, 2017, 12:12:28 AM »
And Stranger of Tempist by Tom Lloyd is a DNF.
It has an interesting beginning. It really draws you in. and maybe, just maybe, if I had only read the interludes where that story takes place, I would've been interested. But the main story is how they get to that point. I figured it wouldn't last too long. Just introduce the company and how Lynx got there, show-off a bit of the magic system, then show me what I need to know. Instead, it's a bunch of mercenaries going around doing mercenary thing. Or sometimes it's just Lynx touring the city and helping the author worldbuild. Or maybe it's the girl, I already forgot her name, observing mercenaries doing mercenary things, and realizing how much her life sucks. It is not, however, the fun book I was expecting.
I have no idea how it made it up so high on the Fantasy-Faction list for 2016. Last year with the 5th Season, that at least made sense to me even if I didn't enjoy it. It's a story with a lot of political parallels, and people love that sort of thing. But for this... No clue.

Now to start on something I'm pretty sure I'm going to enjoy, since I've already read something by him. John Dies At The End by David Wong.

If something can be both a massive surprise and exactly what I expected, this is that. I figured this was exactly your sort of high octane fantasy book but, at the same time, I also found this very disappointing and a huge letdown after the opening. I liked it better than you, but not that much.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline tebakutis

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #10423 on: May 18, 2017, 04:02:46 PM »
Just finished a book called Glyphbinder by this guy named @tebakutis . Don't know if you've heard of him?  ;)  The best self published novel I've ever read. Now, granted, it's also the only self published novel I've read, but it's still a strong book.

Thanks so much, man! Glad you enjoyed it. :)

Although the use of 'honey' between romantic partners threw me off. Is that a thing? I thought only nineties pop-punk bands said that.

Haha, that's the first time I've heard that feedback.
T. Eric Bakutis: 2014 Compton Crook Finalist and author of Tales of the Five Provinces

Book 1: Glyphbinder
Book 2: Demonkin
Book 3: Bloodmender

Offline Jmack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Elderling
  • ridiculously obscure is my super power.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10424 on: May 18, 2017, 05:58:57 PM »
I call my wife "honey."
Among other things.
Some of them to her face.
 ::)
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)