May 24, 2017, 04:41:54 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1060404 times)

Offline Nighteyes

• Derp?
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #10395 on: May 10, 2017, 11:31:11 PM »
Just finished Assassin's Fate. Of course that had to be the ending. Sorry feel a bit emotional ... will take me a few days to recover.
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Adrian_Selby

• Soulfinder
  • Author of Snakewood, Producer at Boss Alien
    • View Profile
    • My personal blog
« Reply #10396 on: May 11, 2017, 01:29:06 PM »
Just finished The Vagrant. Wonderful!!

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Needs a Cheesy Quest Fantasy baa-aadly
  • Writing Group
  • Valheru
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #10397 on: May 11, 2017, 11:39:58 PM »
Just finished Assassin's Fate. Of course that had to be the ending. Sorry feel a bit emotional ... will take me a few days to recover.

One of these days, I need to get back to reading Hobb. I stalled on the second book of her Liveship Traders trilogy, and I'm the kind of person who wants to read the whole thing, not just the Fitz stories.

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #10398 on: May 12, 2017, 09:24:21 PM »
Had to put down Nuclear Bombshell, but not because it was particularly bad. It just wasn't that good either. I'm not bored enough to read it yet. Maybe when my braille display starts working, or I don't have it at the moment, it will be worth picking up again. But I think there's a better chance I'll enjoy it later on.

Now I'm going to try Malice by John Gwynne. I've heard a lot about this series, mainly from @ScarletBea, and I trust her recommendations pretty well since she's a fellow Light Bringer nerd and was one of the people who suggested Ketty Jay. So here it goes.

Offline ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #10399 on: May 12, 2017, 09:31:20 PM »
Ooooh, the responsibility :o
I do hope you like it - and the books get better and more exciting with each one!
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
"There is no way to kill someone mercifully. (...) They may claim that their victims did not suffer. They lie. All they may truly say is that the victim's suffering was invisible to them." Robin Hobb ("Fool's Assassin")

Offline Nighteyes

• Derp?
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10400 on: May 13, 2017, 01:50:33 PM »

One of these days, I need to get back to reading Hobb. I stalled on the second book of her Liveship Traders trilogy, and I'm the kind of person who wants to read the whole thing, not just the Fitz stories.

You have to read them all. Just reading the Fitz books would be like just reading the Jon Snow POVs from ASOIAF. You should definitely pick up the Liveship books again.

Necrophenia by Robert Rankin
The Real Powers That Be

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer A demon god's birthday starts the hunt(1)
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #10401 on: May 13, 2017, 02:04:08 PM »
Finished The Chronicles of Master Li and Number Ten Ox. 5/5 Brilliant.
Does anybody know why he didn't write any more books?

Now I'm wondering if I'm going to manage a book between now and the beginning of June, when we'll read Smiler's Fair.
The Iron Goat* maybe? Or something thinner? Norse Mythology for example? Not decided yet.

*Real title may be slightly different.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 02:06:13 PM by xiagan »
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #10402 on: May 13, 2017, 04:14:18 PM »
^ The Iron Goat*, definitely! Jen moves up a notch from the Copper Promise :D

* what he said
"There is no way to kill someone mercifully. (...) They may claim that their victims did not suffer. They lie. All they may truly say is that the victim's suffering was invisible to them." Robin Hobb ("Fool's Assassin")

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #10403 on: May 13, 2017, 10:49:40 PM »
Can one of you convince me to go farther in Malice by John Gwynne?
I'm 100 pages in, and I don't have any feelings about the characters. Also, the basics of the plot outlined in the blurb have not occurred yet, meaning the story is still building up I guess. But.. Ugh. I'm so bored.

Edit: I decided not to continue. I have an article I used to refer to when faced with these situations, and I found it.
https://www.bustle.com/articles/137119-10-signs-you-should-give-up-on-a-book-youre-in-the-middle-of-no-really
Reasons 5 and 6 for this one.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 12:34:11 AM by ultamentkiller »

Offline Eclipse

• Threadomancer and Discoverer of Obscure and Ancient Threads
  • Ta'veren
  • Goats for ever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10404 on: May 13, 2017, 10:51:58 PM »
Never read it, so I think you should go on and give me a review at the end.
I'm Saloninus, by the way. And I tell lies, from time to time. Which goes to prove the old rule; never entirely trust a man who talks about himself in the third person.

Blue and Gold by K.J Parker

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Needs a Cheesy Quest Fantasy baa-aadly
  • Writing Group
  • Valheru
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #10405 on: May 14, 2017, 03:32:30 AM »
Can one of you convince me to go farther in Malice by John Gwynne?
I'm 100 pages in, and I don't have any feelings about the characters. Also, the basics of the plot outlined in the blurb have not occurred yet, meaning the story is still building up I guess. But.. Ugh. I'm so bored.

Edit: I decided not to continue. I have an article I used to refer to when faced with these situations, and I found it.
https://www.bustle.com/articles/137119-10-signs-you-should-give-up-on-a-book-youre-in-the-middle-of-no-really
Reasons 5 and 6 for this one.

I thought it was worth it in the end, but it took a while to get going. I loved the second book.

Offline ScarletBea

• Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #10406 on: May 14, 2017, 09:52:04 AM »
Well, no book is ever loved by everybody.
Don't worry about it :)

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #10407 on: May 14, 2017, 10:47:03 PM »
Finished The Chronicles of Master Li and Number Ten Ox. 5/5 Brilliant.
Does anybody know why he didn't write any more books?

He speaks about it in his introduction to the Subpress omnibus of the 3 books. Part of it was because of 'bad' publishers (I believe one of the books won an award and they didn't even tell him), and also because he felt that they were becoming rather formulaic and he didn't want that, so he stepped away.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Rostum

« Reply #10408 on: May 15, 2017, 12:05:20 AM »
finished The Dread Worm by Miles cameron and started Silent City by some Mathews bloke

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10409 on: May 15, 2017, 12:14:48 AM »
I finished The Dragon Never Sleeps by Glen Cook. 5/5

This book is one giant puzzle. You will be able to visualize what picture the puzzle is forming but new pieces always keep appearing and even at 85% you're still not sure where to put some of the pieces.

That means this book requires you to be on the right frame of mind for it, otherwise it probably won't work for you.

The scope is vast. The galaxy is ruled by Guardships. They are Death Stars on steroids. Without ridiculous weaknesses and there are 32 of them.
The crew inside is composed of Deified (soldiers or officers who are immortalized and become like electronic spirits) and people of flesh and bones who are also, in a way, immortal.

What could be worse? The Guardships and crew practically cannot be killed. The amount of resources and planning to destroy even one was absurd and all for naught. Why? Because Starbase has the memories of the Guardships and its crews.
So they just replicate that specific Guardship and the crew is cloned. Even when operational, if one of the living soldiers die, the Guardships themselves can just clone them, with updated memories and techniques.
This keeps squad cohesion and trust between members (something fundamental in the military) always consistent.

So basically a summary of the plot is to figure out how to beat the enemy's supposed invincibility and supremacy.
One of the galaxy Houses wants to capture one of the Guardships to start building their own, but father, daughter and grandson are also conspiring and backstabbing each other.

Lupo Provik is the mastermind behind all plans against the Guardship. He actually has a girlfriend who is a female clone of himself. The book never states that, it took me awhile to realize that Two (Lupo Two, a clone) was a female and while on Lupo's POV they're all business and plans, when the POV switches to other characters and they mention "Lupo and his girlfriend", it was only after many times that I realized they were actually talking about Lupo Two.

And the thing is, if they actually destroy the Guardships, the Outsiders (aliens who are helping against them) are actually worse. But maybe both sides can be manipulated into destroying or crippling each other...

Found the concepts fantastic, but indeed it does require the right frame of mind for it. 85% in and you're still trying to figure where some of the pieces of the puzzle fit.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 12:16:20 AM by Lanko »
"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

Lanko's Year in Books 2017