August 24, 2019, 12:14:58 AM

Author Topic: What's the name of that book? - Lost and Found for novels  (Read 58954 times)

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
Re: What's the name of that book? - Lost and Found for novels
« Reply #120 on: December 11, 2016, 09:11:53 AM »
Does anyone know of a book where humanity got wiped out in the future along with other races we lived peacefully side by side all the races get wiped out only leaving behind only a race that is similar to humans but are right back to being like primitive tribes and there believe that there are indeed human. There uncover a city in a jungle guarded by giant insect robot type thing left by humanity  to guard the knowledge we left behind who said only humans can enter and tells them there are not quite human but lets them in anyway as there were close to being human.

When there had sex with each other there called a penis a  mating rod.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 09:15:48 AM by Eclipse »
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Rostum

« Reply #121 on: December 11, 2016, 10:37:15 AM »
Sounds very American

Offline WilliamRay

« Reply #122 on: January 05, 2018, 08:06:07 PM »
I'm trying to remember the name of a book and series that I read maybe 15, possibly just 10 years ago.  The first book was classic medieval fantasy centered around a siege, and there was an aging adventurer named D... Drudge? Durk? I think it was a D name, who was this legendary bad-ass hero, but not the main character of the novel.  Then the series went back and did a some prequels where that guy's wife was captured and he went on an epic quest to save her, and I think the same author did a bunch of generational leaps forward too, all in the same setting.

Any ideas what that might have been?

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 05, 2018, 08:15:47 PM »
I'm trying to remember the name of a book and series that I read maybe 15, possibly just 10 years ago.  The first book was classic medieval fantasy centered around a siege, and there was an aging adventurer named D... Drudge? Durk? I think it was a D name, who was this legendary bad-ass hero, but not the main character of the novel.  Then the series went back and did a some prequels where that guy's wife was captured and he went on an epic quest to save her, and I think the same author did a bunch of generational leaps forward too, all in the same setting.

Any ideas what that might have been?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legend_(Gemmell_novel)
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #124 on: January 05, 2018, 09:31:20 PM »
Oh yeah, that's Druss the Legend from David Gemmell's Drenai series.

The Traitor God & God of Broken Things

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #125 on: January 05, 2018, 11:25:56 PM »
Great, the first time I'm able to solve one of those and you guys are faster.  :P ;D
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 06, 2018, 07:43:11 PM »
Great, the first time I'm able to solve one of those and you guys are faster.  :P ;D

Yes! That is Druss ... dammit! Other people got there first.
The Real Powers That Be

Offline WilliamRay

« Reply #127 on: January 18, 2018, 08:12:34 PM »
THAT'S IT!  Thank you so much guys, that was bothering me for weeks.

(then I forgot it entirely and didn't check back until just now, but it had been really bugging me)

Offline WilliamRay

« Reply #128 on: April 27, 2018, 05:03:11 PM »
Ok, another mystery that came to mind recently... I'm so bad with names!

There was a fantasy series (maybe three books?) that came out in the '90s about an African themed hero who journeyed into foreign lands.  He was a very mythic figure stomping around less magical Europe-ish kingdoms.  There was a chapter about ants going to war as he slept, and another where he stomped through a field of flowers that were at war with each other.

I seem to recall the author did mostly sci-fi apart from that, and may also have written an anthology of western themed short stories.

Does that ring any bells?

Offline WilliamRay

« Reply #129 on: May 04, 2018, 04:38:41 AM »
Carnivores of Light and Darkness!  Alan Dean Foster.
No idea why I couldn't remember it, or how I suddenly remembered it now, but there it is.  There were three books in that series, all pretty fun, as I recall... although it's been twenty years.  ;D

Offline Brand J Alexander

• Shadow Op
  • Weaving the magic of words into worlds of wonder.
    • View Profile
    • Fantasy Author Brand J. Alexander
« Reply #130 on: April 24, 2019, 01:32:11 AM »
Not sure if this thread is still active. I'm new to the site. But anyway, I am looking for a book from the 90s, I guess YA Fantasy. I remember the cover was 2 dragons one black one white battling. The main character was a young white dragon, one of the first born in a while. I think there was a female too, and they were the hope of the next generation.
But the clan of dragons met the black dragons and began fighting. It turns out whenever a black dragon falls so does a white dragon. The battle between them is their doom. It's kind of a sad end of dragons book in a way.
I'm not even sure why it sticks out in my mind so much, but I would really like to find it.

Have done searches to no avail, but figured this was as good a place as any. 

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #131 on: April 24, 2019, 11:14:50 AM »
Not sure if this thread is still active. I'm new to the site. But anyway, I am looking for a book from the 90s, I guess YA Fantasy. I remember the cover was 2 dragons one black one white battling. The main character was a young white dragon, one of the first born in a while. I think there was a female too, and they were the hope of the next generation.
But the clan of dragons met the black dragons and began fighting. It turns out whenever a black dragon falls so does a white dragon. The battle between them is their doom. It's kind of a sad end of dragons book in a way.
I'm not even sure why it sticks out in my mind so much, but I would really like to find it.

I have no idea, but @Lady Ty is quite the dragon expert...

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 26, 2019, 07:48:02 AM »

Dragon addict, but not expert JR  ;D  Sorry, Brand  I tried hard to think of a book that may fit, but no luck.
You never know with this thread, it is always worth trying, people come back ages later with an answer so who knows.  Maybe @Elfy has a suggestion? He is our supreme library master.
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #133 on: April 27, 2019, 02:54:20 AM »

Dragon addict, but not expert JR  ;D  Sorry, Brand  I tried hard to think of a book that may fit, but no luck.
You never know with this thread, it is always worth trying, people come back ages later with an answer so who knows.  Maybe @Elfy has a suggestion? He is our supreme library master.
I had a thought about this. E. E. Knight did a series that may be it.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 27, 2019, 06:17:47 AM »

I had a thought about this. E. E. Knight did a series that may be it.

@Elfy you are a marvel,and jogged a long ago memory. Is this familiar, Brand?

Think I need to seek these out for a re-read.

“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic