August 10, 2020, 09:40:36 AM

Author Topic: What's the name of that book? - Lost and Found for novels  (Read 79869 times)

Offline Nighteyes

• DON'T send me Leopard Erotica!
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
Re: What's the name of that book? - Lost and Found for novels
« Reply #105 on: March 20, 2016, 10:02:41 AM »
This book had the word druid in the title I think or maybe shield not sure

I think I read it round about 87 or 88

The main character was from modern times in England and found a gateway accidentally from Stonehenge maybe? and ends up in ancient Britain? and  becomes a berserker.

The size of the book was the same as a hardback but it was a paperback.

Sounds like the Song of Albion series by Stephen Lawhead.  (Printed 1991 though so maybe if you are ayear or three out it could be it.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Song_of_Albion

I think that's it thanks, I couldn't remember any Christian themes in them through at the time, the Christian themes properly went over my head at time when I was young. If I read them now I think there would irritate me

Sorry it took me so long to notice the post! I read quite a lot of Stephen Lawhead as a teenager and don't remember the christian allegories being that heavy handed.

Look at the cover!  Pure sex!

The Real Powers That Be

Offline eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #106 on: March 20, 2016, 01:04:16 PM »
This book had the word druid in the title I think or maybe shield not sure

I think I read it round about 87 or 88

The main character was from modern times in England and found a gateway accidentally from Stonehenge maybe? and ends up in ancient Britain? and  becomes a berserker.

The size of the book was the same as a hardback but it was a paperback.

Sounds like the Song of Albion series by Stephen Lawhead.  (Printed 1991 though so maybe if you are ayear or three out it could be it.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Song_of_Albion

I think that's it thanks, I couldn't remember any Christian themes in them through at the time, the Christian themes properly went over my head at time when I was young. If I read them now I think there would irritate me

Sorry it took me so long to notice the post! I read quite a lot of Stephen Lawhead as a teenager and don't remember the christian allegories being that heavy handed.

Look at the cover!  Pure sex!

OH my God I didn't have that cover when I read it!

« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 01:07:28 PM by Eclipse »
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline krisjerome

« Reply #107 on: April 03, 2016, 03:12:45 AM »
I've been trying to figure this out for months. The book in question was written (I believe, by a female author). It was the first of a trilogy, and had a sea serpent on the cover. I think Sea was in the title. The most I can remember about the book (I read it 10+ years ago) was that the magic system was based around drawing runes or symbols. Any help would be appreciated!

Offline krisjerome

« Reply #109 on: April 04, 2016, 02:08:53 AM »
A reddit user actually just pointed me towards this book: http://www.amazon.com/Hidden-Stars-Worlds-Trilogy-Unmaking-ebook/dp/B000N2HCT2/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1459732057&sr=8-6&keywords=the+hidden+stars

Thanks though. The book you suggested looks really cool so I'll be adding that to my list as well!

Offline katatonic101

« Reply #110 on: May 03, 2016, 01:35:40 AM »
Hello,

I am looking for the names of two books.

First Book::  Is about a servant girl who can control water. She rescues a bird in a forest. She is discovered using her powers in the forest by a woman wearing a mask. Her only friend while a servant was the bird and the cook who would give her food. I believe the cooks name was Rand.

The bird also helps the girl climb cliffs by landing on the next hand hold.

They take her for training to a school. After school ends they put the kids in a group(family) and they patrol sections of a kingdom?

More details:  The girl was beat and whipped by the noble woman of the household.  Took a long time for the girl to talk to anyone after being caught using her powers.  The woman behind the mask was the daughter of the king.  One of the other kids had the power to control bugs.  At one point the daughter of the king? was kidnapped and they had to break into a castle and rescue her.  I think the people that they were fighting were necromancers or some other dark power.  At one point they had to stay at the abusers household during a rain storm.  I don't think she killed them but gave them more than a few choice words.

Second book solved: Jaunten (Advent Mage Cycle, #1) 
Second Book:: Is about a young man escaping to another kingdom when he discovers he has magic. Since the king kills anyone with magic. While escaping to other kingdom he finds a man dying in the woods, that man passes on his knowledge of his people before dying. The young man is the first earth mage/sorcerer born in 100's of years.

He goes to school in the new kingdom, he rescues other mages from old kingdom. He can travel through the earth.

He ends up working for the kings of both kingdoms eventually. He rescues the son of the kingdom that kills everyone with magic.

Updated with more information.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 08:03:24 PM by katatonic101 »

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #111 on: May 03, 2016, 10:16:21 AM »
Both sound cool, I hope somebody knows them (it's probably YA).
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #112 on: May 03, 2016, 02:18:14 PM »
Do you know the names of the characters, specially the main ones?

Tried searching for it with these descriptions, but nothing. And you probably want to ask here as well: https://www.reddit.com/r/Fantasy/
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #113 on: May 03, 2016, 04:51:49 PM »
The second one sounds vaguely familiar to me. It also reminds me of Songs of the Earth by Elspeth Cooper, but differs in some key respects, so I'm really not sure it's that, although I've only read the first of the series so far.

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #114 on: May 03, 2016, 06:12:32 PM »
The second one sounds vaguely familiar to me. It also reminds me of Songs of the Earth by Elspeth Cooper, but differs in some key respects, so I'm really not sure it's that, although I've only read the first of the series so far.
Yep, sounds like it, but it's not that. I've read the 3 books of the series (4th to be published) and it doesn't go on like that.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline katatonic101

« Reply #115 on: May 03, 2016, 06:44:25 PM »
Definitely not Songs of the Earth.  I am trying to remember the name of the characters, with no luck so far.

Offline katatonic101

« Reply #116 on: May 03, 2016, 06:56:39 PM »
2nd book has been solved.
Jaunten (Advent Mage Cycle, #1) 

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #117 on: May 03, 2016, 07:28:15 PM »
I think this blurb matches the "servant girl with water power", but apparently not the rest:

Sixteen year-old Breena Perdit has spent her life as a barmaid, innocent to her father’s past and happily free from the Elemental gifts that would condemn her to a life in the Egrian King’s army. Until the day that three Elemental soldiers recognize her father as a traitor to the throne and Bree’s father is thrown in jail—along with the secrets from his last mission as the King’s assassin. Secrets that could help the King win a war. Secrets he refuses to share.

Book is Threats of Sky and Sea

If it isn't, try checking this list: https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/6113.Books_About_Power_Over_The_Elements#12755985 or this one https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/42544.Books_with_Elemental_Magic?page=2

Maybe a cover, title, series name or blurb can catch your eye.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 07:30:59 PM by Lanko »
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Offline katatonic101

« Reply #118 on: May 03, 2016, 08:04:13 PM »
No luck there Lanko.  I updated the request with a few more details that I can remember.  Really wish I could remember the characters names.

A little more detail.

She was accused of killing her aunt and uncle and they put her in jail. The noble family took her in to be a slave/servant. They beat the crap out of her often.

The bird was rare, I believe some type of falcon that no one has seen before. When she is first caught, they use the bird to get her to talk again.

The training at the school was in magic and martial studies. Another part of the books they found swords that were specially made and could pretty much cut through anything.

She was a fantastic fighter with bows and knives/swords.

There is also a wizard/mage that holds council with the king. He also pays her visits on and off.

Unfortunately I still can't remember any names. And I am not sure Rand was the cooks name, pretty sure I was thinking of throne of glass series. He did make her tarts and they were her favorite.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 02:40:55 AM by katatonic101 »

Otto Von Chriek

« Reply #119 on: November 22, 2016, 09:52:08 PM »
Help! Years and years ago I read the first book in a series, I then moved and my new library didn't have the rest of the books in the series so I forgot about it until the other-day when I remembered it and thought "Hey I would love to read the rest of those!" But now I have not the faintest clue who they were written by or what the title was.

What I can remember from the book is this -

Story arc 1. - A lad from a monastery of some mystical sort, gets cut by a blade (magical) and the wound won't stop bleeding. Either after that or just before that his lover is killed in some fight on the steep pass to the monastery  This means something that makes him leave, I think he was marked for death or something... or the blade leads him on a journey but anyway he leaves and he is joined by some other types... They are either just with him because of the blade or they are his friends I am not sure...

Story arc 2. This women is getting married to a prince (arranged marriage) when on her wedding night she is kidnapped by the big bad of the story, her prince runs off to try and find her but I think that she escapes before he could get to her and there is a lot of not being in the right place to meet up sort of thing as well as a bit of a love triangle thrown in with a dashing desert outlaw type.

The setting was deserty and I think that there was an eagle or a serpent or something on the cover in a crystal? Although I might be just mixing it up with another series I read at the time (that I can't remember either! *rolls eyes*)

If anyone can give any hints that would be great!