November 18, 2018, 07:03:30 PM

Author Topic: What's the name of that book? - Lost and Found for novels  (Read 44909 times)

Offline markaw00

Re: What's the name of that book? - Lost and Found for novels
« Reply #60 on: August 20, 2014, 02:03:21 AM »
I've got a friend on Facebook looking for a book. Thought maybe he could find some help here. Here's his post . . .

Maybe someone here can help me out with this, it's bugging the crap outta me... years ago I read this novel about people who augmented their bodies to resemble animals (for example, one guy had his legs extended and sewn together so he could be like a snake). The book was written in present tense, like most comic books, which isn't something you normally see in novels. Anyway, it was a sort of noir-ish detective-y story, and I think the protagonist was a former pro wrestler. The opening scene involved half-gorilla men crashing through a window. For the life of me, I can not remember the name of this book or its author. I know some of you are weird enough to have this kind of thing on your radar... help me out here??

I'd like to find out myself because the book sounds pretty awesome.

« Reply #61 on: August 29, 2014, 12:41:13 AM »
Good day to you all! My name is Ginger. I am in search of two books from my childhood and was hoping you could help. The first was a purple paperback, about three inches thick. The story was about a female elf who falls in love with a human when she crosses from her world to theirs. Another main point in the story, was the working of metal as a sort of rite of passage. The female elves were expected to create linked metal chains with their hands and magic, pouring a little of themselves (blood) into their work. Either the characters name or the authors name was Jacquelyn.
The second novel was a hard back with a large red flower, daisy looking, on a white background. The main character was a woman married to a biologist that was always wrapped up in his work. I believe she eventually caught him cheating and left him. As she was wandering about one day she saw a flyer about classes at an abandoned looking shopping center. She finally worked up enough courage to go and loved every second of it, mainly for the human interaction. She ends up running the place,  acting in a play, falling off a ladder and that's all I remember.
Please help me!!!! I would love to find these two books and re read. :)

Offline PowerIII

« Reply #62 on: August 31, 2014, 04:12:08 AM »
There was a series involving mages who linked with birds. Eagle-Sages I believe they were called, or maybe Owls.

Offline Davis Ashura

« Reply #63 on: August 31, 2014, 02:33:38 PM »
There was a series involving mages who linked with birds. Eagle-Sages I believe they were called, or maybe Owls.

I think this one might be David Coe's Lon Tobyn Chronicles.

http://www.amazon.com/Children-Amarid-Tobyn-Chronicle-Book/dp/0812552547/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1409491920&sr=8-4&keywords=David+coe
The crucible of tragedy teaches us the truth of our dharma: we sacrifice all so others need not. It is a weighty burden.

The Sorrows of Hume

Offline Louw

« Reply #64 on: November 11, 2014, 06:59:43 AM »
I read a fantasy book a couple of years ago.  One or two years ago might be a better estimate.   I can also remember the sequel coming out either last year or early this year, and I made a mental note to get the book.
But lo and behold, I cannot remember the name of the book.   Not even the author!  I hope somebody can help.

Scenes I remember from the book:

Scene:  This man traveled to the city with his wife and children.  I think he went to the city because a new king was being chosen?   They got ambushed on the road by a couple of men, but with some strange ability he did not know he possessed, he managed to defeat the men.   It was as if he could see a couple of seconds ahead.

Scene:  This is how the book ended.   I almost think the candidates for being the new king had to do a couple of quests.   One of them played dirty.  The book ends where the main character must choose between a stranger who is framed for killing some of the candidates, and his friend  (maybe a prince).

Is this very vague? Hopefully somebody out there knows this one!

Offline Gatoanjan

« Reply #65 on: November 12, 2014, 06:11:30 PM »
What is this forum about?

Offline Mumm-Ra

« Reply #66 on: November 14, 2014, 08:34:20 PM »
This is a great idea for a thread, pretty much registered solely to come see if anyone recognizes this one:

I read it many years ago when I was young, it has to be a YA type story.  I may be remembering details wrong of course. 

All I seem to recall is that someone important to the protagonist goes missing and they have to find him/her and one hint is a sketch of a letter L surrounded in vines.   It works out to a hint to go to an island called Levine or something like that.  The story has a fantasy/supernatural feel to it. Something in my memory sparks that it might have been similar to A Wrinkle in Time...

Thanks!

Offline silversun

« Reply #67 on: November 21, 2014, 09:43:44 PM »
I read a YA book for a book report - It was an alternate history of the American revolution where Benedict Arnold turned out to be a good guy. If anyone can help me with it I'd appreciate it!

Offline Bjacobsen

« Reply #68 on: December 03, 2014, 10:41:41 PM »
So can't think of the name of this book, it's part of a series about this young man coming into his magic and the magic I. This series is based around music, the young man ends up being all strong in he's music magic where he gets chased around the country side by monsters. Thanks for the help

« Reply #69 on: December 16, 2014, 08:08:07 AM »
BJacobsen, I have not read the book, but one book about song magic would be Songmaster by Orson Scott Card.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/31352.Songmaster?from_search=true

Best regards,
Andy

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • ridiculously obscure is my super power.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 16, 2014, 11:21:00 AM »
I read a YA book for a book report - It was an alternate history of the American revolution where Benedict Arnold turned out to be a good guy. If anyone can help me with it I'd appreciate it!

Is this The Year of the Hangman?
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline Dan D Jones

« Reply #71 on: January 27, 2015, 07:55:44 PM »
So can't think of the name of this book, it's part of a series about this young man coming into his magic and the magic I. This series is based around music, the young man ends up being all strong in he's music magic where he gets chased around the country side by monsters. Thanks for the help

Alan Dean Foster's Spellsinger series?

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #72 on: January 27, 2015, 11:04:59 PM »

Alan Dean Foster's Spellsinger series?
Even if it isn't the Spellsinger series, I'd recommend reading it any case. Wonderful fun when it was still okay to have fun with the genre. Although stop before getting to Chorus Skating. That was an attempt by ADF to revisit the site of one of his great triumphs and it didn't quite work out.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 28, 2015, 03:50:44 AM »
There is a book or even series where two cousins/brothers/ enemies are competing for power and it involves one  trapped in a portrait by the other. This is all I can remember and suspect I gave up on it, but that evil twist intrigues and niggles at me. Probably published around late 80's early 90's.  Please can anyone help?
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #74 on: April 28, 2015, 05:56:58 AM »
There is a book or even series where two cousins/brothers/ enemies are competing for power and it involves one  trapped in a portrait by the other. This is all I can remember and suspect I gave up on it, but that evil twist intrigues and niggles at me. Probably published around late 80's early 90's.  Please can anyone help?
I don't know what that book is, but I want to read it.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com